MG4 Software Update Thread

Do you have to take your MG4 back to the dealership in order to get the latest software update, in my case the SE SR ?

I was going to ask the same thing, but with an extra. What triggers eligibility for a software upgrade? I'm assuming dealers don't call in every MG4 they've sold whenever a new version comes out. If you're aware of one, can you just ask? Or does it have to follow a complaint about an issue that the update addresses?

Thank you. So Over The Air s/w updates are not yet available ?
It doesn't appear to be available but whether it ever becomes a thing is anybody's guess. I guess the dealers also don't really want loads of owners turning up wanting updates done, unless necessary and/or part of a service as it will take up time for which they won't be paid.

It doesn't appear to be available but whether it ever becomes a thing is anybody's guess. I guess the dealers also don't really want loads of owners turning up wanting updates done, unless necessary and/or part of a service as it will take up time for which they won't be paid.
Thank you again for this.

I was going to ask the same thing, but with an extra. What triggers eligibility for a software upgrade? I'm assuming dealers don't call in every MG4 they've sold whenever a new version comes out. If you're aware of one, can you just ask? Or does it have to follow a complaint about an issue that the update addresses?
Officially software updates are only done at PDI, a scheduled service or to fix a warranty issue. In these cases MG will pay the dealer to do them.

Unofficially, some dealers will do updates outside of these circumstances, at their own expense.

However, the update process is slow, has to be manually overseen (lots of pressing 'Y' after/for every individual module update) and sometimes doesn't work (servers are down), so it is labour intensive and can take a lot longer than the time alloted by MG.

For this reason, some dealers skip updates to save time and there's no way to know except for the infotainment version - and annoying bugs that some have and others don't.

My dealer said the service guys have to submit the individual car's VIN to MG to see what updates are available for them to install.
Yes and then they have to clumsily step through each one to confirm it should be applied, meaning that the service tech has to sit there and babysit the whole process. The updates come from MG's remote servers but it is nothing like a fully-automated process.

This process was described by Miles on the last podcast.

I have received my Trophy (last Saturday) with the following, assume it needs to be updated to R33 ?
MGR30.jpg

I have received my Trophy (last Saturday) with the following, assume it needs to be updated to R33 ?
View attachment 17313
R33 is the latest I am aware of, my Trophy received 3rd March came with this.

So it is likely that your dealer hasn't done all the updates they should have done at PDI.

(This assumes it is a brand new car, not previously owned or ex-demo).

R33 is the latest I am aware of, my Trophy received 3rd March came with this.

So it is likely that your dealer hasn't done all the updates they should have done at PDI.

(This assumes it is a brand new car, not previously owned or ex-demo).
Thanks, definitely a brand new car. I'm dissapointed as I explicitly stated to the sales person several times that I wanted it on R33. When I drove off after pickup, she stated it was on the latest version. However, reading what Spaniard has written, should I leave it until 34 ?

Thanks, definitely a brand new car. I'm dissapointed as I explicitly stated to the sales person several times that I wanted it on R33. When I drove off after pickup, she stated it was on the latest version. However, reading what Spaniard has written, should I leave it until 34 ?
I've read on a FB forum that there maybe an R36 version. But if there are no problems I would say leave it until it goes for service and if they update it then and something doesn't work you can then complain.

Here's a thought. I'm not intending to take the car to the dealer for service. My local garage which is within walking distance can do the routine checks and so on. But if I do this, what do I do about the software upgrades?

Here's a thought. I'm not intending to take the car to the dealer for service. My local garage which is within walking distance can do the routine checks and so on. But if I do this, what do I do about the software upgrades?
My understanding is they won’t be able to do any software updates unless they have the MG equipment which is unlikely.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back