MG4 Software Update Thread

I was traveling with a Tesla taxi yesterday, just thinking that the quality inside the car looked way cheaper than my MG M4. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why people would pay twice the amount for these cars which also have worse warranty.
They work 🧐

I was traveling with a Tesla taxi yesterday, just thinking that the quality inside the car looked way cheaper than my MG M4. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around why people would pay twice the amount for these cars which also have worse warranty.
The quality of pre 21 year Tesla's was questionable, since then in the UK at least the Tesla's coming to the UK are all built in China rather than the USA.
I get that Tesla's exterior and interior are not to everyone's taste but the quality exceeds MGs and as the @Captain stated they work and they work really well.

The quality of pre 21 year Tesla's was questionable, since then in the UK at least the Tesla's coming to the UK are all built in China rather than the USA.
I get that Tesla's exterior and interior are not to everyone's taste but the quality exceeds MGs and as the @Captain stated they work and they work really well.
I actually love the MG4, it’s build quality is great for the price, it’s comfortable and so good looking 😍…I just want MG to pull their Chinese socks up and give us the product they promise…!

It’s not up to standard and I lobby them most days 💪🏻

Against all advice on this forum I had booked my MG4 SE LR in to Bath MG for a software update as I was on R13 for infotainment and was sorely missing Android Auto nav guidance directions. At the time of booking (2nd August) I was advised that there was a service recall on the car in relation to software - the earliest they could do the work was today. I took the car down at 10am, explained that I was looking to update the Infotainment software to R16 (but now I see that R21 or even R29 might be available), and could they also look at the lane keeping assistance. At 2.45pm I picked up the car, having been told that all its software was fully up to date. I set off with the radio going and Android Auto guiding me home, excited to hear Android Assistant directions at last. Got to the first junction - nothing, not a sausage. So I went into the Vehicle menu and looked at the System page - and infotainment was still on R13!

I'm not sure what the garage have been doing for the 4.5 hours they had the car, and I'm pretty sure they have no idea either. I left them 'talking to technical' as they couldn't understand why the update 'hadn't taken'. They did say that the dealers don't get sent the software updates, they have to download them from a central server - a sensible approach I think - so my suspicion is that they either updated my car with the same software as it was already on, or they somehow didn't follow the update process properly. At least they didn't brick the car. I look forward to hearing from them tomorrow with their latest take on the situation. 🤣
The download is true for car module updates but the infotainment can be updated via a USB stick and they should be able to download this separately. That's what a lot of other garages do.

... I was on R13 for infotainment and was sorely missing Android Auto nav guidance directions.

I've got R13 and I'm keeping it until there's an update that at the very least will not lose the external temperature readout. (Rumours of an R29 that has the readout, but I don't know as yet what it improves over R13.)

Anyway, I just got a phone that supports Android Auto, and I'm mega-impressed with what it does, not having had a satnav of any sort before. What do you mean by "nav guidance directions" that R13 is missing? I seem to be getting all the guidance I could wish for, and indeed it took me a bit of fiddling to shut up the annoying voice reading everything out, so that I could listen to the radio.

What am I missing?

On mine when using the radio I get no audible directions when using satnav on AA. The radio volume does decrease slightly but nothing comes through. If I'm streaming on AA then the instructions come through load and clear.

I'm finding the way the two systems (car and AA) interact a bit confusing at the moment, although I have been able to make it do what I want. As far as I could tell, it was radio or audible directions, and I wanted radio, so I muted the audible directions.

The most annoying thing was sitting in the car listening to the radio, and wanting to text someone. Every time I entered a character into the text message, the radio vanished to be replaced by a blank screen entitled something like BT media. I presume this is the phone to blame, rather than the car, but who knows.

BT is Bluetooth. If you have Bluetooth switched on on your phone every time you interact with your phone it sends a Bluetooth signal to the car which thinks it's receiving a Bluetooth piece of music.

Pull down from the top of the (phone) screen and there'll be a BT "toggle" there. Something like this:

0xD1Kl.png

Thanks. I was looking for that the other day to get the aeroplane mode (for the theatre - I found a theatre mode instead!), so that's doubly handy. Triply so for when I'm shouting at charger helplines down the phone and need to see the charger while I'm talking to them.

I thought it could be useful to have a thread for software update news. I am collecting my car tomorrow and have a feeling that I will be back several times for software updates. Perhaps we can use this thread to keep each other informed when updates appear (I wouldn't rely on my dealer to be on the ball with this)
Will do Oct 26th 👍

So had my SE SR serviced today after 10 months and 15,000 miles. Up until now the LKA has remained permanently off having been turned off about 2 days after collection as it was truly awful and very intrusive. The infotainment was R13 which displays the outside temperature.

On dropping it off they said there were 2 software updates that needed doing - BCM (battery control module) and CCU (charge control unit) I said I didn't want the infotainment updated and they said there wasn't an update available ( there definitely is but no point in arguing!).

Collected this afternoon and it's still on R13 which is good. Turned off the LKA and drove to the shops, got back in after shopping and the LKA had reverted to on 🤬. Drove home 10 miles on mostly narrow roads with no painted lines and not once did it interfere at any point. As said, originally it was horrible on these roads, so it looks like it has been significantly improved. Will see how it handles dual carriageways tomorrow before a 500 mile round trip on Sunday/Monday and report back but I'm hopeful....

As an aside I was given a Corsa-E for the day and what a horrible car it was! Considering it costs £5k more than mine it's cramped, noisy and gutless. I cannot fathom why anyone would buy one.

Also was looking at a phase 2 orange Trophy (rear wiper) that had a black roof!

Are you sure the Trophy you were looking at wasn't the new Extended Range version? I thought that as the only phase 2 model to have the black roof.

I've been on R13 from collection and my LKA has never stayed off.

So had my SE SR serviced today after 10 months and 15,000 miles. Up until now the LKA has remained permanently off having been turned off about 2 days after collection as it was truly awful and very intrusive. The infotainment was R13 which displays the outside temperature.

On dropping it off they said there were 2 software updates that needed doing - BCM (battery control module) and CCU (charge control unit) I said I didn't want the infotainment updated and they said there wasn't an update available ( there definitely is but no point in arguing!).

Collected this afternoon and it's still on R13 which is good. Turned off the LKA and drove to the shops, got back in after shopping and the LKA had reverted to on 🤬. Drove home 10 miles on mostly narrow roads with no painted lines and not once did it interfere at any point. As said, originally it was horrible on these roads, so it looks like it has been significantly improved. Will see how it handles dual carriageways tomorrow before a 500 mile round trip on Sunday/Monday and report back but I'm hopeful....
Ok, then the LKA defaulting to on isn't an infotainment thing but something in the module updates. Whatever the modules they need to update there are also dependencies so that other modules may get updated to work with them properly.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back