MG4 Software Update Thread

Can the LKA be set as part of an overall 'Custom' setting incorporating the regen setting, power settings etc so you're at least only having to select that each time you start the vehicle, or do you have to go into that menu everytime? (I don't have the car yet)

I'm really not convinced these 'safety features' reduce accidents. Irritating that they are trying to force them on drivers.

Can the LKA be set as part of an overall 'Custom' setting incorporating the regen setting, power settings etc so you're at least only having to select that each time you start the vehicle, or do you have to go into that menu everytime? (I don't have the car yet)

I'm really not convinced these 'safety features' reduce accidents. Irritating that they are trying to force them on drivers.
Nope. All custom does is remember some of the driving profile settings. On mine it doesn’t even remember the pedal force setting, which is specifically one of the settings you set in the custom profile.

It lets you set the “horse power”, how light/heavy the power steering is, pedal force (which it forgets), and I think there’s a 4th, but I forget what it is.

Even if it's possible they may not be allowed to do it.

I don't know about the UK, but EU legislation demands it to be "on" by default since 2022. So it is illegal to set it to default "off" - at least in the EU. I spoke to a dealer about this (other vehicle, Skoda). It can be done, but not officially, you will have to find "a guy".
I wonder why the brand new Nissan courtesy car I’ve had allows it to be turned off on start up?

I wonder why the brand new Nissan courtesy car I’ve had allows it to be turned off on start up?
And it remembers that turn off after you've locked the car then come back? (The way you've written what you have, the MG4 allows that) ;)

And it remembers that turn off after you've locked the car then come back? (The way you've written what you have, the MG4 allows that) ;)
The MG4 (since latest update) reverts to LKA on every time you restart and has to be disabled after every restart. The courtesy Nissans I have had all have LKA which stays off once disabled and this is preserved after restart.

Just got a recall letter today, but like others I want to keep the lane assist off. Its never easy with MG is it?!?!

Was there other issues with the update as well?

I’ve said before that I don’t quite understand the logic in LKA being mandatory (or a NCAP requirement?) that it reverts to on after every start, when you can just then turn it off!
Why have the option at all to turn it off if it’s mandatory?
It’s not a legal requirement as far as I can see, otherwise why give the option to turn it off?
I would bet that it CAN be permanently turned off by the user without breaking any legislation but it’s just not configured like this.
Irritating as it may be for some (I am not a fan of LKA in i’s current form on cars), it completely defeats the objective if it can just be turned off, it may as well have the option to be permanently off selected by the user.

I’ve said before that I don’t quite understand the logic in LKA being mandatory (or a NCAP requirement?) that it reverts to on after every start, when you can just then turn it off!
Why have the option at all to turn it off if it’s mandatory?
It’s not a legal requirement as far as I can see, otherwise why give the option to turn it off?
I would bet that it CAN be permanently turned off by the user without breaking any legislation but it’s just not configured like this.
Irritating as it may be for some (I am not a fan of LKA in i’s current form on cars), it completely defeats the objective if it can just be turned off, it may as well have the option to be permanently off selected by the user.
Mine stays off - it doesn't revert after every start. It always stayed off before LKA was updated and still does after the update. Weird how different cars do different things.

Mine stays off - it doesn't revert after every start. It always stayed off before LKA was updated and still does after the update. Weird how different cars do different things.
Could it be that it's not the LKA software that determines whether it stays off or not but another module's software?

Could it be that it's not the LKA software that determines whether it stays off or not but another module's software?
Yup, it will be whichever objects code controls what is on and off. I'd imagine the MG pilot tab on the infotainment screen has its own code object that displays the settings, and it simply switches on and off things like the LKA. At the top of the code block there will be a bunch of things that have default settings that are automatically applied.

Otherwise there will be some memory or code somewhere with "startup defaults" recorded in it.

Wow. So in the Uk we might be able to set LKA to off as default? I think you have discovered the first positive benefit of Brexit.

Wow. So in the Uk we might be able to set LKA to off as default? I think you have discovered the first positive benefit of Brexit.
The latest update applied to my Trophy last Friday specifically states in the release notes that the update will result in LKA being reactivated after every restart.

How 'smart' is the LKA technology? For example on a single lane carriageway if you come across a stopped or slow car that you overtake, and you have to cross the centre line, does the car fight you to bring it back on to the left side of the road?

because it may have been homologated before 2022. My Zoe still has no emergency call and I can turn off the pedestrian warning system even though it's a 2020 model year, afaik all cars after 2019 should have e-Call and always-on pedestrian alert.
In it's papers it's still the same Zoe from 2013, just with a facelift hence why Renault could do as they pleased because they had to obey the regulation from that time.

I haven't tested LKA much (I turned it off straight away!), but a dealer did tell me that if you indicate as you're supposed to, i.e. indicate to move lanes, then move lanes, then the LKA will know what you're doing and won't fight it.

I haven't tested LKA much (I turned it off straight away!), but a dealer did tell me that if you indicate as you're supposed to, i.e. indicate to move lanes, then move lanes, then the LKA will know what you're doing and won't fight it.
That's not really the issue - the issue is LKA inventing its own lanes ... you can be following the actual lane but LKA may "see" something different and try to keep you in the "lane it sees"; which might be the lane for oncoming traffic.

Yup, it will be whichever objects code controls what is on and off. I'd imagine the MG pilot tab on the infotainment screen has its own code object that displays the settings, and it simply switches on and off things like the LKA. At the top of the code block there will be a bunch of things that have default settings that are automatically applied.

Otherwise there will be some memory or code somewhere with "startup defaults" recorded in it.
Yes - MG love this approach for some reason. Other models have had similar variations. The ZS charging whilst locked for example was a module that was selected during updates and these varied depending on who did it!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back