MG4 Software Update Thread

Oddly enough I saw that the 16.3 update released yesterday? did specifically mention the attentiveness and responses of CarPlay being fixed… as well as sticking a big Apple logo over the front cameras.

I believe that there’s been an update on the Apple patch.

v33 seems to be applied to some alongside door lock recall.
This is odd. My car was collected after the door lock update had been installed, and to confirm, I've not had the recall letter accordingly, so I'm still at R30.

However, I had an interesting conversation with the service department at the nearest dealer to me today. I rang them to enquire about installing R33 on my infotainment module as I'm getting the bluetooth annoyance of having to pair my phone every time I get in the car.

According to them, the R33 update to the infotainment system is combined with the update to the DMS (driver monitoring system) and they didn't think it affected the bluetooth problem.

As my DMS seems to either like my driving style, or has been disabled somehow (I don't have the big brother camera on the steering shroud), it leaves me alone, and I've never even seen the coffee cup symbol.

For that reason, I'm not bothering with R33 until it gets rolled up into an important update (like sorting that *&^% LKA or the bluetooth issue).

According to them, the R33 update to the infotainment system is combined with the update to the DMS (driver monitoring system) and they didn't think it affected the bluetooth problem.
In my case, it did. My phone kept unpairing (iPhone) via Bluetooth, I had to pair it every second journey. So I gave up on it and connected via cable. Since the install of R33 about two weeks ago the phone hasn't unpaired and keeps connected.

Last edited:
In my case, it did. My phone kept unpairing (iPhone) via Bluetooth, I had to pair it every second journey. So I gave up on it and connected via cable. Since the install of R33 about two weeks ago the phone hasn't unpaired and keeps connected.
You know what will happen don’t you? You’ll have forum members all following your lead and getting the latest software version…. and it will be in German.

Are there any other notable improvements in v33?
What I have noted so far:
  • Volume adjustment shown on top of the screen instead of a pop-up
  • Volume adjustment now dependably congruent with source (before sometimes when using the rocker on the steering wheel it changed the volume of the voice assistant instead of the music source)
  • connectivity much better (before the car would be off-line again and again for no apparent reason)
  • Bluetooth unpairing problems solved
  • responsiveness of the screen seems better, but I can't put my finger on it (pun intended ;-) )
  • when using Amazon music now it always shows the album cover on the main screen (before it was hit and miss in my case)
  • wireless charging much more stable now (I didn't manage more than a minute before, now it rarely disconnects)
  • virtual keyboard much bigger and better to read (and type)
  • consumption graph didn't work, now it does

Last edited:
What I have noted so far:
  • Volume adjustment shown on top of the screen instead of a pop-up
  • Volume adjustment now dependably congruent with source (before sometimes when using the rocker on the steering wheel it changed the volume of the voice assistant instead of the music source)
  • connectivity much better (before the car would be off-line again and again for no apparent reason)
  • Bluetooth unpairing problems solved
  • responsiveness of the screen seems better, but I can't put my finger on it (pun intended ;-) )
  • when using Amazon music now it always shows the album cover on the main screen (before it was hit and miss in my case)
  • wireless charging much more stable now (I didn't manage more than a minute before, now it rarely disconnects)
  • virtual keyboard much bigger and better to read (and type)
  • consumption graph didn't work, now it does
Now available in UK, my car is booked in for the R33 update this Saturday. Looking forward to checking it out for myself

Now available in UK, my car is booked in for the R33 update this Saturday. Looking forward to checking it out for myself
I noticed you're in Suffolk too, what dealer is doing this for you? Wonder if they might have time for another this weekend/saturday haha.

Will have to convince my (or any - very inconvenient to drive from Suffolk to London/Chelsmford) dealer to get this done for me. (are the infotainment updates quick enough to be done while you wait?)

My car (a Trophy) was delivered to me last week with R24 and everything is pretty good save for the lane assist being a bit wobbly at times (though it is in a family member's Hyundai too around these roads....).

But the major problem I have that i'm really hoping something between R24 and R33 will fix is that voice control in Android Auto pretty much only seems to work when I'm not moving, which makes it well.... functionally useless otherwise I am really very happy with the car. Good job people don't send me messages too often otherwise I'd be more annoyed by it...

edit: just to add more details of "voice control not working" holding the steering wheel button, saying "Hey Google" or pressing the mic icon on the display all end up in the same result of hearing the chime of Google Assistant beginning to listen, the listening popup being on screen then immediately dismissing itself. Fine if car is not moving (usually).

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is interested - this is how the "new" volume bar and keyboard look like.

kukEBGr.jpg

RJFxUHW.jpg

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums