MG4 Software Update Thread

Just an update on R46 for those asking;
Firstly a recap, mine is an MY23 Trophy I have just over a month and after first week went back to my dealer (very helpful guys) and raised issue of constant BT pairing and also lack of connectivity (app, sat nav, weather).
He told me hang on 2 minutes then produced a USB stick and proceeded to update my software almost before I knew what he was doing (I hadn't requested a SW update) - I told him I had my reservations based on posts on forums like this raising possibilities of introducing new issues.

Regardless, update was completed in less than 5 minutes and immediately sorted BT re-pairing and connectivity issues - and now 3 weeks later still no issues, haven't needed to re-pair even once.

Just FYI, mine went from SW ver R33 to R46,
The technician also told me he was skipping R40 as he'd heard it could be buggy.

Can't comment on suitability to MY22 cars.

Can i ask what type of usb cables you bought?

I tested 7 cables I had at home, I seen no real improvement apart from less black screens for a particular cable (black screen still happens once every 3 days or so).
Hi sorry it took a while getting back to you. I bought a cable from Screwfix (£9.99). Masterplug USB A to C. Supports fast charging-5GBPS transfer speed-10xfaster than USB 2 (480 mbps).
Hope this helps and works..

So this is interesting. The MG4 just landed here in NZ and I was super curious to see the story here and how it was being presented. Still has the bulge in the undertray and the air con rattles a bit but not audible in the car. However, I checked the software (trophy spec) and it looks like they are numbering it differently here than in the UK. That’s a bummer as you guys have critical mass and a lot of history. Was hoping I’d be able to ride your coattails for advice and insight but I don’t know if it is possible to map the version in the photo below (again, brand new MY23 with a rear wiper, trophy spec, one pedal drive) to the version number in the UK…any thoughts? Thanks heaps.

Attachments

• IMG_5318.jpeg
    IMG_5318.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 301
So this is interesting. The MG4 just landed here in NZ and I was super curious to see the story here and how it was being presented. Still has the bulge in the undertray and the air con rattles a bit but not audible in the car. However, I checked the software (trophy spec) and it looks like they are numbering it differently here than in the UK. That’s a bummer as you guys have critical mass and a lot of history. Was hoping I’d be able to ride your coattails for advice and insight but I don’t know if it is possible to map the version in the photo below (again, brand new MY23 with a rear wiper, trophy spec, one pedal drive) to the version number in the UK…any thoughts? Thanks heaps.
Looks like a different versioning numbering for your region, we have seen that before with UK vs EU.

Just an update on R46 for those asking;
Firstly a recap, mine is an MY23 Trophy I have just over a month and after first week went back to my dealer (very helpful guys) and raised issue of constant BT pairing and also lack of connectivity (app, sat nav, weather).
He told me hang on 2 minutes then produced a USB stick and proceeded to update my software almost before I knew what he was doing (I hadn't requested a SW update) - I told him I had my reservations based on posts on forums like this raising possibilities of introducing new issues.

Regardless, update was completed in less than 5 minutes and immediately sorted BT re-pairing and connectivity issues - and now 3 weeks later still no issues, haven't needed to re-pair even once.

Just FYI, mine went from SW ver R33 to R46,
The technician also told me he was skipping R40 as he'd heard it could be buggy.

Can't comment on suitability to MY22 cars.
Which dealer? I'm kinda hoping they're local to me xD

It looks like @Emgie 4 is in Ireland, not Bristol
That's correct, I am based in Midwest of Ireland, sorry #bishiboshi
I think I have been fortunate to get a dealer both helpful and knowledgeable.

As a sidenote it intrigued me during my update when he just used a USB stick, there had been mention (I think much earlier in this thread) that for SW updates because of so many variations of hardware the car needed to be connected via a laptop directly to MGs servers back in China, to make sure any updates exactly matched the car.
That was either incorrect, an abundance of caution... or I was just lucky,
Or perhaps they've changed their procedures.

That's correct, I am based in Midwest of Ireland, sorry #bishiboshi
I think I have been fortunate to get a dealer both helpful and knowledgeable.

As a sidenote it intrigued me during my update when he just used a USB stick, there had been mention (I think much earlier in this thread) that for SW updates because of so many variations of hardware the car needed to be connected via a laptop directly to MGs servers back in China, to make sure any updates exactly matched the car.
That was either incorrect, an abundance of caution... or I was just lucky,
Or perhaps they've changed their procedures.
When I went to collect my car at beginning of February it had R24 in it. They couldn't get any connectivity on the car so the tech lad had a look and from a usb stick installed R33 in no more than 10 to 15 mins. I would like to get the Bluetooth unpairing sorted but so far no one has confirmed that an update has sorted this. I know people have had it done but until it has run for a week or two without Bluetooth unpairing then you can't say it's fixed.

Really interesting, because we've been told as recently as last week that R46 isn't applicable to phase 1 cars. Could I ask if you're quite sure that's the software version that was loaded?
Who is "we"?
Because there have been several people both on here and on facebook with MY22 cars that have had R46 applied....

Who is "we"?
Because there have been several people both on here and on facebook with MY22 cars that have had R46 applied....
Thanks, I was personally told last week that R46 wasn't relevant to phase 1 cars by the dealer, so it's good to know that's not the case

Will contact my dealer next week to see if they're applying R46 for MY22 cars as the Bluetooth issue is driving me crazy

Presume nothing has changed with MY22 cars and one pedal driving?

If I had that and the Bluetooth fixed I'd be happy for the foreseeable

Thanks, I was personally told last week that R46 wasn't relevant to phase 1 cars by the dealer, so it's good to know that's not the case
It is possible that both are true: that R46 isn't ideal for Phase 1 and that some dealers are applying it anyway.

Note: I have no inside knowledge here, just speculating.

We had R46 applied to ours yesterday to fix all the BT problems. So far so good, hasn't forgotten the connection so far.

Apple Play appears to be a little more flakey than before :(. Hoping its just a blip
Hi Rob

Do you know how long the update took?

A dealer in West London said I would need to leave the car the entire day with them!

When mine was last updated it took about 5 minutes to scan the system for updates, then a couple of minutes to update, followed by a reboot, then power the car off/on. Job done. I sat in the car whilst the tech did it, say 15 mins tops and that was allowing some time for him to find his USB drive!

I wonder if that's the same dealer who told someone it wasn't possible to set the MG4 (as supplied in the UK) to show km/h.
That reminds me of a question someone might be able to answer for me relating to miles/km reading, but specifically on the efficiency pages on small dash/screen;
I'm based in Ireland so clock set to km but my efficiency shows in kwh/100km, if I change units in my settings page to miles the efficiency reads (IMO) the more useful value of miles/kwh, like I assume all UK cars show.
What I'd like to be able to display is km/kwh (like I've seen in other EVs) and would seem to make more sense,
Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I don't see how to change it, or else MG have strangely decided to apply different efficiency data to different regions of cars.
Anyone know if this is changable option?

Attachments

• PXL_20230812_201017165.jpg
    PXL_20230812_201017165.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 163
  • PXL_20230812_200724553.jpg
    PXL_20230812_200724553.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 171

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 522 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%