MG4 Software Update Thread

They really must have 2 separate teams coding the SE and Trophy softwares ... my SE SR has never once lost Bluetooth connectivity. 🤷‍♂️

Absolutely. The SE has these four or so annoying bugs, but the software appears very stable and I've never ever had my phone unpair or lost Bluetooth (even when I wanted to).

That's disappointing for MY22 models, just curious since it was ok for a week, did it make some improvement? Was unpairing frequency much worse pre update?
I think it has improved as it was disconnecting every other day so will be interesting to see how it goes over a space of a month or so.

They really must have 2 separate teams coding the SE and Trophy softwares ... my SE SR has never once lost Bluetooth connectivity. 🤷‍♂️
I fear you may be right, tho very strange if the two teams don't talk to each other to share info, essentially doubling the workload.
Makes you wonder about the management.

Also since BT tech is around for so long it's like they've tried to reinvent the wheel - e.g; a £20 pair of earbuds will connect seamlessly with any phone, or perhaps they just bought the cheapest components !

Just had my MY22 Trophy back from the dealer with the infotainment updated from 24 to 46. No one-pedal mode and too soon to say if it will sort the Bluetooth or Android Auto issues (which were getting worse daily).

However, the interface is noticeably smoother and the new A/C screen layout is much better.

Just had my MY22 Trophy back from the dealer with the infotainment updated from 24 to 46. No one-pedal mode and too soon to say if it will sort the Bluetooth or Android Auto issues (which were getting worse daily).

However, the interface is noticeably smoother and the new A/C screen layout is much better.
Can you confirm if Android Auto on 24 was response laggy, and was fixed with the new update?

Here is an example of my laggy Android Auto on r30.

Thanks, but I think you have misread my question, I can and have switched between imperial and metric, efficiency display type is my issue/query
And if it's not selectable, it is possible it may be included in a future SW update, so not quite off topic if that's what ur saying. 😁
I understood your question; I explained myself badly.

You can only get efficiency in [distance]/kWh when set to imperial mode (thus miles/kWh), and kWh/[distance] when set to metric (thus kWh/100km)

No option anywhere to get km/kWh nor kWh/100miles).

Last edited:
I’ve been lurking on this thread for sometime. My v1 trophy has no obvious software issues so am thinking if it ain’t broke don’t fix it etc. I looked yesterday and it is on R33. Would anyone who has updated from that to R46 say there is a noticeable benefit or the opposite?

Nor mine.
Just to clarify, my trophy has a problem with pairing to my iPhone via Bluetooth.

I think there is a difference between pairing and disconnecting.

Once my iPhone is paired to the MG4 via Bluetooth, it does not disconnect; however, if I briefly go outside the car (lock car, go shops and come back) my trophy finds it hard to pair automatically to my iPhone. I have to then go through a manual routine forgetting the device on both the infotainment and my iPhone to try get them both to talk and sync etc.

I am pleased that the R46 version seems to solve this for other members here. I can't wait to get mine updated but don't fancy leaving the car at the dealers the entire day.

I really don’t understand why MG don’t make the update available online. I’ve updated my other car (a Kia Stonic) quite regularly once they finally allowed user updates in Europe and it’s so much more convenient.

I really don’t understand why MG don’t make the update available online. I’ve updated my other car (a Kia Stonic) quite regularly once they finally allowed user updates in Europe and it’s so much more convenient.
I think you've answered your own question. "once they finally allowed user updates"
At the moment I don't think MG's updates are stable enough at the moment to let the public do them themselves especially as during the first updates quite a few cars were bricked at the dealers.

I think you've answered your own question. "once they finally allowed user updates"
At the moment I don't think MG's updates are stable enough at the moment to let the public do them themselves especially as during the first updates quite a few cars were bricked at the dealers.
I get what you are saying, but I was referring to the ability to update in Europe since the updates were available from day 1 in the States. It’s just that Europe had a map licensing issue and the Kia dealers were still charging for updates 😳

I get what you are saying, but I was referring to the ability to update in Europe since the updates were available from day 1 in the States. It’s just that Europe had a map licensing issue and the Kia dealers were still charging for updates 😳
Meanwhile, VW EVs required a dealer update to enable the promised OTA update system.

There's only one reason. It's so fragile that the cost to MG of dealers doing updates is lower than the expected cost of all the bricked MGs.

I'm also on a first gen1 Trophy. I've never had it into the dealership and they've never contacted me either!

I'm reluctant to have a software upgrade as my LKA stays permanently switched off. As apposed to resetting everytime the car is started.

So I live with the fact my infotainment system goes crazy once a week, the door handle buttons wont lock and unlock the car, the driver alert system has a constant fault code. The battery history graphic doesnt work. I just wish MG would sort themselves out and give us all a software update that was stable and activated one foot driving and made the LKA work like everyone elses EV. Its crazy!

My wife has a Fiat 500 EV. its same price category and faultless...cmon MG!

Last edited:
It's actually a complex issue. Basically for OTA to work they need a way to securely download packages somewhere, verify the contents, deploy them (possibly attended/unattended) and have some means of recovery/ fallback if anything fails. That said it's something they need to sort out even if it requires manually bringing cars up to some firmware level for it to happen.

It's actually a complex issue. Basically for OTA to work they need a way to securely download packages somewhere, verify the contents, deploy them (possibly attended/unattended) and have some means of recovery/ fallback if anything fails. That said it's something they need to sort out even if it requires manually bringing cars up to some firmware level for it to happen.

And why did you advertise something that you are not able to do yet?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back