MG4: The New Batch

Ian Key

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Has anyone who has taken delivery of one of the latest batch of MG4s, i.e. their dealer has told them it's at the docks or on the boat, got the infamous oil leak and droopy undertray?

Ian

I am surprised at you.;) MG would say that there is nothing to see here and that any/all build issues will be rectified by the thorough PDI.

More to the point, the dealers should be lowering the gearbox oil levels and properly securing the undertray. So it's unlikely that they'll have had either issue. But it doesn't prove that the lower gearbox oil level is a good thing in the long run nor the longevity of the undertray.

Duncan

Ian

I am surprised at you.;) MG would say that there is nothing to see here and that any/all build issues will be rectified by the thorough PDI.

More to the point, the dealers should be lowering the gearbox oil levels and properly securing the undertray. So it's unlikely that they'll have had either issue. But it doesn't prove that the lower gearbox oil level is a good thing in the long run nor the longevity of the undertray.

Duncan
That's the important word..SHOULD...I was just wondering if it was being done so those of use who are having patience enforced on us know it's not in vain 😁

Once I'm notified that my car has arrived, I'll be reminding them about the issues checklist that I sent them a couple of weeks ago so that they check them during PDI. ;)
Add locking and unlocking the doors while sat in it before driving away with both the keys and the switches in the car then if it won't let you out there will be someone around to help.

Mine has arrived at the dealers but they are busy (hopefully doing full PDIs) so I'm unable to collect until late next week. They are aware of oil leak and under tray issues

Mine has arrived at the dealers but they are busy (hopefully doing full PDIs) so I'm unable to collect until late next week. They are aware of oil leak and under tray issues
I wonder how 'busy' they'd be, if I rang them and asked for help spending thirty two thousand pounds.

At last my car as arrived at the dealer's and it seems to have darker windows in the back like my first one I took back for the oil leek they offered to exchange it for a new one thinking it was a one off problem it's been a month coming lol

Tints or privacy glass? (Tints are as per specification)
I think it is Privacy. If I stand on the side of the car I can see inside the driver's window which seems to have a greenish tint. However, I cannot see inside the back seat window, so may be Privacy (?)

That's what the first batch of SE models came with - it wasn't expected that subsequent batches would also have privacy glass.

I guess someone with knowledge needs to tell us how to read a chassis number to find out when the car was manufactured. Mine had 8 miles on the clock, so I don't expect it was hanging around much.

I guess someone with knowledge needs to tell us how to read a chassis number to find out when the car was manufactured. Mine had 8 miles on the clock, so I don't expect it was hanging around much.

Decoding your VIN​

Ever wonder what the 17 digits on your VIN number mean? Let's decode them.

• The first character tells you where in the world the vehicle was built. It tells you the country of origin.
  • The second character denote the manufacturer.
  • The third character tells you the vehicle type or division.
  • The fourth through the eighth characters tell you the vehicle brand, body style, engine size and type, model, and series.
  • The ninth character is a security code that identifies the VIN as being authorized by the manufacturer.
  • The tenth character is the model year of the car.
  • The eleventh number tells you which plant assembled your car.
  • The last six numbers are the specific vehicle production number representing the serial number of the vehicle.

The last 6 digits of my VIN (as I already know it) are 190642, but I doubt there have been 190,641 MG4s built prior to mine. :)

find out when the car was manufactured
I know the UK isn't in the EU anymore, but don't you get a Certificate of Conformity anyway?

Mine contains the "Date of manufacture of the vehicle: 2022-09-05" (which happens to be the COC Issue Date as well).
VIN ending in 163XXX

It tells you the build date on your certificate of conformity

Mine delivered today was build 28/08/22

Attachments

• IMG_4760.JPG
    IMG_4760.JPG
    586.3 KB · Views: 180

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%