MG4: The New Batch

Provided you limit the charge current to 6A you shouldn't have a problem with overheating.

You can't avoid the PEN faults but they seem to be so rare that they are almost not worth worrying about. It just seems to me like an excuse for electricians to make more work for themselves by manipulating the regs.

Sounds very highly unlikely to me.
Work for the DNO, happens more than you think but as your house is bonded and all the metal work is at the same potential you'd never know except some voltage anomalies as the neutral floats to try and balance the now Delta 3phase circuit based on load

Work for the DNO, happens more than you think but as your house is bonded and all the metal work is at the same potential you'd never know except some voltage anomalies as the neutral floats to try and balance the now Delta 3phase circuit based on load
I've been struggling to get my head around these equipotential zones mentioned in literature I've read regarding this. Hopefully you can help.

They seem to suggest, for example, that my washing machine won't give me a shock even though I'm stood on a tiled floor barefoot due to other metal work in the kitchen being at the same potential, but if I'm outside in trainers I can get a shock from my car. I don't see how both can be true.

I've been struggling to get my head around these equipotential zones mentioned in literature I've read regarding this. Hopefully you can help.

They seem to suggest, for example, that my washing machine won't give me a shock even though I'm stood on a tiled floor barefoot due to other metal work in the kitchen being at the same potential, but if I'm outside in trainers I can get a shock from my car. I don't see how both can be true.
The earth in your house isn't true earth it is the earth from the star point of the transformer which is where the neutral and earth are physically connected, so that is 0v.

All of your house if bonded correctly will be at reference earth of 0v, outside of your house you are now at your true earth for where you are, as the transformer earth could be referenced upto 500m away, so you have 500m where there is a significant difference between the quality of the earthing at a transformer as we put a lot of copper in the ground to where you are physically stood so a potential difference occurs which is what a voltage is.

Google videos of step potential it will explain it all.

Edited additional thoughts:

Also worth noting that upto 50v RMS AC is pretty much imperceptible to a lot of people and to others it's a slight tingling feeling, so inside a house you may experience this but it is not significant enough to cause any long term damage or injury to 99.9999% of people.

Sorry never noticed your question till I saw tsedge's response. I was more talking of the risk of overheating and possibility of fire (low though) as apparently 3 pins aren't meant to take on providing power to an EV. I'm not too sure of these things though as only getting into EVs now. Read bits and bobs here and there and maybe just spouting bull, but I'm sure some resident experts and gurus here might know better and set me straight.
If they’re a high risk of fire then they should not be supplied with the car under any circumstances. And if my house burns down as a result I’ll be suing their asses!!

If they’re a high risk of fire then they should not be supplied with the car under any circumstances. And if my house burns down as a result I’ll be suing their asses!!
I think we ought to realise here that the biggest risk of overheating is not the granny charger itself, but the wall socket it's plugged into. If the wiring to the socket is in anyway damaged, old or not secure, then that socket, under a 10A load, is going to heat up.
The onus really is on the user to make sure that the supply the granny charger gets plugged into is up to the job.

They are fine to use on the appropriately protected socket. Mine was in the garage rcd, mcb and lightning protected with appropriate earthing. The circuit end was in the garage with the longer car plug end the only external part. I used it for months awaiting my 7kw charger installation. They in themselves are not inherently dangerous with the appropriate protection and reasonable use. Don't use extensions, overloaded sockets etc. all the normal common sense stuff...and ensure you electrics are up to scratch. Use a properly installed external socket with correct cabling and protection as a preference.

I think we ought to realise here that the biggest risk of overheating is not the granny charger itself, but the wall socket it's plugged into. If the wiring to the socket is in anyway damaged, old or not secure, then that socket, under a 10A load, is going to heat up.
The onus really is on the user to make sure that the supply the granny charger gets plugged into is up to the job.
Ah I see. Should be fine then as my electric are pretty new being a 5 Year old house. The garage is on a different consumer board and has its own trips etc. Can you tell I know very little about electrics?! 🤣

Emailed this afternoon by Holdcroft MG-no further update & no progress on the order (placed 01st Oct) original ETA was for 12 weeks, which is Christmas Eve, suggested chasing MG end of Jan 2023.

My thoughts are that this may be too little too late. Perhaps a March 2023 delivery and a new Reg change eh... a 23 Plate ?.....who knows.

Emailed this afternoon by Holdcroft MG-no further update & no progress on the order (placed 01st Oct) original ETA was for 12 weeks, which is Christmas Eve, suggested chasing MG end of Jan 2023.

My thoughts are that this may be too little too late. Perhaps a March 2023 delivery and a new Reg change eh... a 23 Plate ?.....who knows.

I’m confused, why are you waiting so long when every day there’s dealers messaging boards saying they have cars in stock?

Peeps it's an au revoir from me. Order cancelled after a lot of thought and discussion with the dealer, who was excellent. I will be back when it is more mature product but for now 👋

I have enjoyed the forum, with excellent contributions and contributors, even a bit of fun thrown in along the way as well as some "heated moments" . Enjoy your cars and hopefully I'll catch up next year all being well.

P.s volunteer required to take over hints and tips due to my departure from the forum shortly

Alan

I’m confused, why are you waiting so long when every day there’s dealers messaging boards saying they have cars in stock?
As I have already placed an order and a £250 deposit with my local MG dealer who said a car would be here in 12 weeks, which I thought was reasonable.

Also, travelling to another MG dealer and then if any issue arise (which is unfortunately likely given the list of issues already raised across multiple forums / media sites) could mean that my local MG dealer would perhaps be less involved / motivated to rectify any of the aforementioned issues as they hadn't supplied the car in the first place. That was my logic anyway, whether it would manifest, unsure, but having a good relationship with your local dealer I thought would be a positive.

Peeps it's an au revoir from me. Order cancelled after a lot of thought and discussion with the dealer, who was excellent. I will be back when it is more mature product but for now 👋

I have enjoyed the forum, with excellent contributions and contributors, even a bit of fun thrown in along the way as well as some "heated moments" . Enjoy your cars and hopefully I'll catch up next year all being well.

P.s volunteer required to take over hints and tips due to my departure from the forum shortly

Alan
Sorry to see you go Alan, don't be a stranger!
Look forward to seeing you back on here next year, was it anything in particular that has brought about your decision, or just an accumalation of things?

I think I said on a previous thread when a niggle at the back of the head ends up a concern at the front let it go. I am confident the top issues will be addressed but with so many mixed messages about new parts, what parts?, it's fine to drive in the meantime, it's a design feature, you don't need it anyway, none of our other stock have this issue, mixed s/w levels across modules etc etc it does make you sit back and ponder. We all need to have confidence in the MG4 and I, sadly, have come to the conclusion I am not there yet and will delay my purchase until I have that confidence.

Give us consistent builds across each version. It all feels a bit patchy at the moment. Improve customer messaging and communication. At least if MG UK pushed out bulletins acknowledging issues we would have more confidence they are being addressed....and yes I do acknowledge the cultural differences from overseas but I am talking MG UK taking some kind of ownership

Did MG rush to the market in too much haste and are playing catch up with their customers being the lab 🐀? Or was it known to have some issues but sell it and be damned. Kinda feels that way.

When the forum members raise these issues with the dealerships, and MG listen attentively, getting them knocked off the list one by one I will be back. I doff my cap to the early adopters who will help make this a better product..eventually

 Alan

Provided you limit the charge current to 6A you shouldn't have a problem with overheating.

You can't avoid the PEN faults but they seem to be so rare that they are almost not worth worrying about. It just seems to me like an excuse for electricians to make more work for themselves by manipulating the regs.
... this is interesting, as I can find something similar at work (i.e. am too late to get onto a 7Kw+ charger) - I am finding that only certain "traditional external sockets" work on the MG4 - plently of other cars work, but not mine, with a granny charger! - can you elucidate?

.... apologies, I did try to get on a charger (on this particular early morning!) & parked in a totally empty floor (with the old granny charger! with the only socket on this level), delighted when i returned, in that a yellow lovebug decided that it wanted to be next to me! - bless!

Attachments

• IMG_4299 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4299 (1).jpeg
    482.9 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
So if I understand right the main updates from the new batch are:

Infrared driver alert feature removed
Granny charger supplied as standard
Oil filled correctly

Are there any other physical changes/updates to note? Or that are beneficial/detrimental (cost saving - looking at you Tesla).

Also @WonkoTheSaneUK tell me you have your car now? You were one of the first to order back in August!

I heard a new batch owner saying he could now precondition while plugged in? Hopefully that is true of all new cars.

I ordered 20th Aug.....not heard a thing from Bulldog MG in Twyford. Not impressed.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back