MG4 Traffic sign recognition keeps turning off

AdamMGEV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
It seems recently my Traffic sign recognition option keeps switching off. Anyone else had this? I have a trophy on the R33 software

It seems recently my Traffic sign recognition option keeps switching off. Anyone else had this? I have a trophy on the R33 software
Mine is doing this also. It is random, sometimes car starts with the feature enabled, sometimes disabled. Haven’t reported it yet but car going back for yet more work soon so will add to the list.

Is best off if you ask me. The fact that it picks up a 20mpg sign for a side road, and the continues to flash at me while I'm on a normal road is very frustrating.

I noticed mine was off at the weekend, but I think its just cos I hit it by accident when I was turning off LKA.

I find it very useful. Not always 100% but with that and Google maps when I have no idea what the speed limit its a handy guide. And yes for me it's totally random if it stays on or goes off, started possibly with the R33 update.

Hi All, I am probably being stupid but what are the 3 dots on the Traffic sign recognition under the speed? If someone could let me know when you stop laughing!!

It's a good question - I've seen it too and have no idea what it's supposed to mean.

I know the 3 dots on their own mean that the car doesn't know what the current limit is supposed to be. (I've seen that happen when the car hasn't seen a repeater or new sign for quite some time).

According to the manual it means, and I quote:

"The speed limit sign currently recognised has additional information. Please pay attention to it."
Hmm ... can't say I've noticed it doing that for signs. (e.g. a classic one would be near a school, where the 30 is a 20 limit when the lights flash, and those words are under the 20. I've never seen it show 20 with 3 dots).

I find the speed recognition too poor to be useful, so I turn it off every journey, the flashing is quite distracting. Even Google Maps, which I use for navigation, often gets the speed limits wrong. I have heard talk that a future "safety" rule for new cars soon may be to default to speed limiter on, using recognition. I think this is inappropriate, not just because the current technology can't get the recognition right, not just because speed limits can depend on the vehicle's state (eg lower for towing some loads), but mainly because a good driver should pay attention to and observe the speed limits and having the car do it - like so many of these features - will both deskill and lead to distracted driving.

The day after I got my car I took it on a joyride down the A701 from Romanno Bridge to Moffat. Between Broughton and Moffat the damn thing was leaping about telling me that the limit was 40, when I knew perfectly well it was 60. I ended up driving between Broughton and Stanhope several times before I spotted the cause. A big sign informing HGV drivers that the mandatory speed limit is 40 for everything over 7.5 tonnes. Now I know the MG4 is a heavy car but it ain't that heavy. I had simply blanked the sign because I knew it didn't apply to me, but the car wasn't so clever. I've never turned the feature on again since.

(The sign didn't stop a whacking great lorry more or less tailgating me all the way down that road earlier this week, even though I was driving the MG4 in quite a spirited manner.)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back