Mg4 trophy sales drop like a stone!

I'm simply explaining that some people value this aspect. Clearly you don't. I'm not expressing a view myself.
I don’t disagree that many like to have their car checked - it should be their choice though. Do you have a view? Would you prefer less servicing?

I don't feel strongly about it either way. I am more concerned that it is value for money, because there are pay for things in there like software updates and fluid/filter changes etc... that I do want.

Knowing how many people never check anything on their cars, I think it isn't a bad idea.

I also agree that it is unlikely to be needed every year on an EV, so maybe 2 year service intervals should be the norm.

I suspect what will happen is that cheaper garages will uncut the dealer prices and force them to abandon their attempts to gouge customers.

This is interesting. My car is one day old so I have plenty of time to form a view. My own garage owner is not out there inventing work, he's always busy. He just said, these cars don't need much servicing but we can change brake fluid and so on. I wonder what he thinks about this?

Also, I would say that Tesla software updates are not free - they are instead built into the price of the car (they are by no means cheap!).

I wouldn't be surprised if the "cheap" Tesla, whenever it arrives, requires a subscription for updates.

On a slight tangent, does anyone have any opinion on winter tyres on an MG4? When I got my Golf it was like Bambi on an ice rink in the snow, and every year I shod him with winter tyres in November and took them off usually mid-April. This was simply miraculous and well worth the cost of having the tyres changed twice a year. (It can snow very heavily here.) I also saw these tyre checks as valuable for making sure my tyres were always in good condition. But I'm wondering if the MG4 might be less appalling in snow and not need the things so much?

This is interesting. My car is one day old so I have plenty of time to form a view. My own garage owner is not out there inventing work, he's always busy. He just said, these cars don't need much servicing but we can change brake fluid and so on. I wonder what he thinks about this?
There‘s a sort of ‘implied blackmail’ to having your car serviced by a dealership. We know that you can go outside as long as the car is ‘serviced’ to the manufacturers standards - but most don’t, myself included, because of the concern about how claims are dealt with - or can become ‘complicated’.
‘Servicing’ and repairs should be completely opened up and the closed-shop approach and attitude by manufacturers stopped. As long as a garage has the equipment and training they should have access to the manufacturers service and repair database in the same way as dealerships have.

On a slight tangent, does anyone have any opinion on winter tyres on an MG4? When I got my Golf it was like Bambi on an ice rink in the snow, and every year I shod him with winter tyres in November and took them off usually mid-April. This was simply miraculous and well worth the cost of having the tyres changed twice a year. (It can snow very heavily here.) I also saw these tyre checks as valuable for making sure my tyres were always in good condition. But I'm wondering if the MG4 might be less appalling in snow and not need the things so much?
I have heard the opposite (that the bundled tyres are poor in winter) but no direct experience yet.

All season tyres have really come on lately and maybe a better option for you. Cross climate 2 would seem appropriate

I can’t say specifically about MG4 but most EV’s on summer tyres have poor grip in wintry conditions. Indeed any car has. I had a Range Rover - useless on standard tyres off road on grass, mud etc - miraculous difference with winter tyres. Tyres are the biggest single difference to make.
Many tyre manufacturers now produce ‘cross-climate’ tyres which are a blend of summer and winter use without heavily penalising areas such as rolling resistance etc.
Michelin do a well reported cross climate tyre for example.

There‘s a sort of ‘implied blackmail’ to having your car serviced by a dealership. We know that you can go outside as long as the car is ‘serviced’ to the manufacturers standards - but most don’t, myself included, because of the concern about how claims are dealt with - or can become ‘complicated’.
‘Servicing’ and repairs should be completely opened up and the closed-shop approach and attitude by manufacturers stopped. As long as a garage has the equipment and training they should have access to the manufacturers service and repair database in the same way as dealerships have.

When I got my Golf in 2009 I made very sure all the servicing would be done by my own garage, 15 minutes walk from my house and with a bus stop outside that would take me to work. In 2012 the engine comprehensively failed, just three months inside the 3-year guarantee period. (As far as I can make out the timing belt/chain failed.)

VW were extremely picky. They made Andrew (the owner of my garage) send every bit of service history. They even made him get and fax copy invoices to prove he'd bought the correct oil for the car. There was a slightly nervous moment while he covered up for having fitted a non-VW air filter at the most recent service (he hadn't been able to get a VW one), but he re-issued an invoice to me which didn't state the source of the paper filter (which he correctly said would not be noticed when the car was looked at by VW) and all was well. New engine for £0.00.

VW were very mean though. They told me I'd have been entitled to a courtesy car if I'd had the car dealer-serviced, but they weren't going to give me one as punishment for using Andrew's garage instead. I spent a week in a crappy Kia that cost me about £120, I seem to remember.

Also, I would say that Tesla software updates are not free - they are instead built into the price of the car (they are by no means cheap!).

I wouldn't be surprised if the "cheap" Tesla, whenever it arrives, requires a subscription for updates.
There’s no such thing as a free lunch - this is true not just for Tesla but for any commodity that is cost based. Whatever price you pay - anything that is ‘free’ is costed into that price.
Subscription charges for items like connectivity and features and benefits in the car is the way the whole industry is going.

I have heard the opposite (that the bundled tyres are poor in winter) but no direct experience yet.

All season tyres have really come on lately and maybe a better option for you. Cross climate 2 would seem appropriate

I can’t say specifically about MG4 but most EV’s on summer tyres have poor grip in wintry conditions. Indeed any car has. I had a Range Rover - useless on standard tyres off road on grass, mud etc - miraculous difference with winter tyres. Tyres are the biggest single difference to make.
Many tyre manufacturers now produce ‘cross-climate’ tyres which are a blend of summer and winter use without heavily penalising areas such as rolling resistance etc.
Michelin do a well reported cross climate tyre for example.

Thanks for all that input. I've got until November to make up my mind anyway. I've never really taken to all-season tyres but as you say, they may have come on in the past 12 years.

The transformative effect of the winter tyres on the Golf was so miraculous I'm quite likely to go on changing them, and it's always an opportunity for the car to be given a quick once-over by an experienced eye.

When I got my Golf in 2009 I made very sure all the servicing would be done by my own garage, 15 minutes walk from my house and with a bus stop outside that would take me to work. In 2012 the engine comprehensively failed, just three months inside the 3-year guarantee period.

VW were extremely picky. They made Andrew (the owner of my garage) send every bit of service history. They even made him get and fax copy invoices to prove he'd bought the correct oil for the car. There was a slightly nervous moment while he covered up for having fitted a non-VW air filter at the most recent service (he hadn't been able to get a VW one), but he re-issued an invoice to me which didn't state the source of the paper filter (which he correctly said would not be noticed when the car was looked at by VW) and all was well. New engine for £0.00.

VW were very mean though. They told me I'd have been entitled to a courtesy car if I'd had the car dealer-serviced, but they weren't going to give me one as punishment for using Andrew's garage instead. I spent a week in a crappy Kia that cost me about £120, I seem to remember.
Manufacturers and dealers are scared to death about losing the work.

Thanks for all that input. I've got until November to make up my mind anyway. I've never really taken to all-season tyres but as you say, they may have come on in the past 12 years.

The transformative effect of the winter tyres on the Golf was so miraculous I'm quite likely to go on changing them, and it's always an opportunity for the car to be given a quick once-over by an experienced eye.
There you go - that's my point about "peace of mind". I don't know the statistics but it my guess that a lot of people main dealer service just so they don't worry or have to think about it. I acknowledge the view that this is not needed.

There you go - that's my point about "peace of mind". I don't know the statistics but it my guess that a lot of people main dealer service just so they don't worry or have to think about it. I acknowledge the view that this is not needed.
This is Rolfe’s tried and trusted local independent garage - I have a lot more tolerance and time for these set ups.

That garage has given me very good service. He's actually quite reluctant to do a job he doesn't think is necessary or cost-effective. And he managed to navigate VW's attempts to invalidate my warranty (for having used him and not a dealer for warranty-period servicing) so that I got a new engine for free.

That garage has given me very good service. He's actually quite reluctant to do a job he doesn't think is necessary or cost-effective. And he managed to navigate VW's attempts to invalidate my warranty (for having used him and not a dealer for warranty-period servicing) so that I got a new engine for free.
Sounds like a gem, you are lucky to have him.

I used to run winter tyres, changing to summer etc
All-season tyres have ended that though, they really are brilliant all year round.
Even driving like I do in the summer, they’ve been fine on much sportier cars than the MG.
Michelin Crossclimate and Goodyear Vector are hard to separate, so go for the cheapest option there.
Got Kumho Solus all-season fitted to our Evoque yesterday and although obviously I’ve yet to test them in snow, I did 300 miles on them today and very impressed.
Great straight line stability, ace turn-in and great wet grip.
For £40 less per tyre than Michelin or Goodyear I’m chuffed.

BTW had Goodyear vectors on the MG and as you’d expect they were great in snow.
They’re still on it now, wherever it may be!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 533 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back