Mg4 trophy sales drop like a stone!

Badge aside the make some not to bad looking cars.
On electrifying.com twitter page, they were in it today in Spain, BYD Dolphin apparently coming to the UK, second half of this year. Bit of a model 3 rip off but looks better in my opinion.

Attachments

• 20230412_204347.jpg
    20230412_204347.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 100
Badge aside the make some not to bad looking cars.
On electrifying.com twitter page, they were in it today in Spain, BYD Dolphin apparently coming to the UK, second half of this year. Bit of a model 3 rip off but looks better in my opinion.

Saw this.
They suggest prices might be in line with the model 3, which seems like business suicide to me.
Who’s going to take one ahead of a Tesla…?
At the same price level I predict it will sell as well as the Ora Cat. 😂

Seal has an 82kw battery, heat pump standard across the range, 354 mile range 0-60 5.9 secs but like you say priced with the 3.

Cleantechnica say the Dolphin will start at around €30k. Euro/UK specs are in the article:-

Cleantechnica say the Dolphin will start at around €30k. Euro/UK specs are in the article:-

Electrifying.com twitter had it as £26500- £33500 so they would tend to agree although I think they are all just giving their best guess at the minute.
Did read that it will be priced lower than the Atto so that makes sense.

It would appear that heat pumps are standard across the range also.

Last edited:
Despite owning one, I think MG deserve to get a bloody nose sometime soon.
If their customer service was proactive and you felt that they actually wanted to help solve the teething problems with their cars, I would be more inclined to cut them some slack as there are issues with most complex new products.

' Hide and deny' is pretty much their MO unfortunately, they need a reality check.
I have just emailed MG for a list of their fully accredited technicians in Scotland. They told me to contact the dealers direct and ask them who they have qualified in their workshops If I am going to spend £35k on an electric car, surely it would have to done by someone who is qualified to work not only on an MG, but also electric cars as well. Is that why there are so many issues with the cars? Curious to see if anyone who has a new MG Electric car has proof that the car was completed by an actual MG accredited technician. If not, can you ask why?

No i
I have just emailed MG for a list of their fully accredited technicians in Scotland. They told me to contact the dealers direct and ask them who they have qualified in their workshops If I am going to spend £35k on an electric car, surely it would have to done by someone who is qualified to work not only on an MG, but also electric cars as well. Is that why there are so many issues with the cars? Curious to see if anyone who has a new MG Electric car has proof that the car was completed by an actual MG accredited technician. If not, can you ask why?

So you want us to check if any work was undertaken by an accredited technician?
Then if the answer is no, ask them why not?
Do we have until tomorrow, or would you like the report on your desk today?

fat bastard yes sir GIF

Is there any training needed? Just plug your thingy in here… then tell the customer we need to wait to hear from China.

What is there to service in anycase. As far as I'm aware the only things that need changing is the pollen filter & brake fluid every 3 or so years.

What is there to service in anycase. As far as I'm aware the only things that need changing is the pollen filter & brake fluid every 3 or so years.
And probably a re-gas of the aircon every 3-4 years.

I recall that the service checklist for my 2020 Renault Zoe included busywork lines like
  • Check tyre valve dustcaps are present

Normally includes latest software updates and bodywork / corrosion inspection, plus checks on suspension, brakes, tyre condition. Essentially casting an eye over the whole car to spot any necessary maintenance needed or pending soon.

Edit: cabin filter change, cooling systems checked, a/c test etc... really not that dissimilar to an ICE minor service.

I’m sorry you know that its one of my pet hates - this unnecessary servicing.
How can Tesla have NO mandatory servicing - I have run Teslas now for nearly 5 Years and never had one serviced - or needed to. Warranty work yes - servicing no.
All manufacturers could do this - it’s just a revenue generator .

How can Tesla have NO mandatory servicing - I have run Teslas now for nearly 5 Years and never had one serviced - or needed to. Warranty work yes - servicing no.
Yes and no.

Yes because it isn't strictly necessary.

No because some issues such as problems with suspension, brakes, tyres, corrosion, could be potentially dangerous if undiagnosed for a long time.

What people are paying for is peace of mind: that someone has looked over and checked. You might not value that but some people do.

I suspect you're right. My dealer twice tried to get me to take out a three-year service plan for £18.49 per month. I looked him in the eye and said, nice try.

I will get the car looked at by my regular garage, who is a 15-minute walk from my house and not a 34 minute drive. He looked after my Golf all its life, I trust him, and he says he's set up to do regular EV maintenance. Even as I asked him, someone was driving a Leaf out of his forecourt.

Yes and no.

Yes because it isn't strictly necessary.

No because some issues such as problems with suspension, brakes, tyres, corrosion, could be potentially dangerous if undiagnosed for a long time.

What people are paying for is peace of mind: that someone has looked over and checked. You might not value that but some people do.
The first mot is not needed for 3 years from new - should that be shorter too?
What do you mean by looked over and checked? I think you’ll find that the type of checks that dealers do are pointless. They at best ‘visually inspect’. They will completly deny any accountability as far as safety is concerned.
The main purpose is to try and generate revenue, not safety.
Following your logic, are you proposing that Tesla by not servicing give owners less ‘peace of mind’? Most of the garages that I have dealt with and heard from do anything but provide ‘peace of mind’ the opposite in many cases in fact.
It’s the owners responsibility to ensure the tyres (and the car) are safe not the garages.
Let‘s be realistic on cars up to at least 3 years old these ‘checks’ are a waste of time - as is ‘servicing’.
There’s so many disparities - we also run a Kia - the coolant change interval is every 32k miles and costs £300+ - absolutely pointless - disgraceful in fact. Tesla coolant - lifetime.
btw Tesla are not perfect, but they have adopted an honest and realistic approach to servicing electric cars.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back