MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

So I thought I’d chase this as I hadn’t been in touch with MG in a couple of weeks. This is what I got back. This time from someone called Ella not Gary.

So mixed messages but we’ll see.
Can I ask what email address you've got for MG? As you've said, the more people raising this the more likely it is to get fixed.

Can I ask what email address you've got for MG? As you've said, the more people raising this the more likely it is to get fixed.
[email protected]
They will ask you to raise it with your dealership first as a confirmed customers car issue.

Alan
They may do but still the more reports from customers they get the better I think. I now have a small thread of back and forth with them.

When I initially reported it they did say make sure I report it to my dealer which of course I have done.

Had my Trophy for a week and my wife (who is actually the main driver) says she can hear a whistling sound when driving above 50mph. I had a look under the car and there appears to be a bulge in the metal undertray facing forward (not in the plastic part). I need to get some photos, but are these the same problems other people are experiencing on this thread? Otherwise, I have to say we've been really pleased with the car so far.

Just had this , this morning from my dealer:

"
A replacement under tray has been ordered, and ‘should’ be here next week?

The modified breather kit part number has yet to be released and looking at the latest coms with MG, it looks to be the end of November, but remember, this is no longer a cause for concern on this customers car"

Just had this , this morning from my dealer:

"
A replacement under tray has been ordered, and ‘should’ be here next week?

The modified breather kit part number has yet to be released and looking at the latest coms with MG, it looks to be the end of November, but remember, this is no longer a cause for concern on this customers car"
That’s good news on the tray.

With the breather the earlier plan was to stock it in UK parts centre by next week and then make available for dealers to order, which should be quick. That plan may have changed or been delayed a bit.

We had a bit of a rain here last night in Essex. As expected there will be water on the roads and at least in one place the level of the water was enough to reach the under tray.

As a result this what has happened to the "whats left of the under tray".

Image 1: The view from the right side where half of the under tray was ripped off and rests in peace somewhere.
Image 2: The view from behind where "the seam/damage" can be seen on the right-hand sight
Image 3: The view from the left side where the remaining half is still hanging (for now).

Is it safe to drive?????
Pretty it’s safe to drive like that. But absolutely talk to your dealer and send those images to MG. It proves that the issue needs addressing.
Let know how you get on.

We had a bit of a rain here last night in Essex. As expected there will be water on the roads and at least in one place the level of the water was enough to reach the under tray.

As a result this what has happened to the "whats left of the under tray".

Image 1: The view from the right side where half of the under tray was ripped off and rests in peace somewhere.
Image 2: The view from behind where "the seam/damage" can be seen on the right-hand sight
Image 3: The view from the left side where the remaining half is still hanging (for now).

Is it safe to drive?????

Truly impressive!

Was your undertray damaged before that trip?

I can't believe that happened to a properly secured undertray.

Pretty it’s safe to drive like that. But absolutely talk to your dealer and send those images to MG. It proves that the issue needs addressing.
Let know how you get on.
Agreed, the tray is just for dust and dirt protection, not essential. But it shows what can happen when there’s a scoop plus heavy water. They need to sort you out.

Didnt have any damages prior to it. However, I had bulges as can be seen on the picture attached.

Attachments

• 20221015_135825 (1).jpg
    20221015_135825 (1).jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 397
Didnt have any damages prior to it. However, I had bulges as can be seen on the picture attached.
Is the dripping oil causing the plastic to warp I wonder or totally unrelated.
Seems like there's a basic design flaw with these plastic trays, they should surely overlap each other like roof tiles to let wind and water pass over them at speed ?
There's still going to be a low pressure zone underneath the car trying to pull at them but other manufacturers manage to sort it out :unsure:

Went into the dealer I have ordered my car from today, as they finally had a trophy to look at in the flesh, I was raising some concerns about the issues everyone is experiencing. Salesman told me they haven't had any cars with oil leaks or tray bulges. He wasn't happy when I told him to look under the 2 cars they had sitting (both with bulges!!)

Doesn't really fill me full off confidence that they haven't even looked at the dealership cars.

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_125909.jpg
    IMG_20221112_125909.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 265
Went into the dealer I have ordered my car from today, as they finally had a trophy to look at in the flesh, I was raising some concerns about the issues everyone is experiencing. Salesman told me they haven't had any cars with oil leaks or tray bulges. He wasn't happy when I told him to look under the 2 cars they had sitting (both with bulges!!)

Doesn't really fill me full off confidence that they haven't even looked at the dealership cars.
Would be interesting to send a mate in to ask the same question and see if he's honest or still in denial.

Would be interesting to send a mate in to ask the same question and see if he's honest or still in denial.
It really would, but it is kind of depressing that we feel the need to even think about going to these lengths.
There seems to be no part of the whole MG network that is immune from issues.

It really would, but it is kind of depressing that we feel the need to even think about going to these lengths.
There seems to be no part of the whole MG network that is immune from issues.
TBH it is a reputation the motor trade has generally. You want to trust them but then they come out with stuff like that and just like politicians you realise they can't help but lie.

Can I check, has anyone persuaded their dealership to repair or replace their faulty undertray? I've been told that MG don't see this as a problem and aren't issuing replacements. We can hear a high pitched whistling sound coming from the car when driven at speed which I'm pretty sure is the bulge trapping the air.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back