MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

At this point I’ve given up on believing anything my dealer says. It’s one of those ones that do 10 different manufacturers! Going to go elsewhere next time I need anything.

I think it’s best to email customer service in a couple of months (assuming we don’t hear otherwise), and find out the situation with this and anything else (new software for example)

This thread has slipped down the forum a bit but I wonder if anyone has had any further updates in regards to MG acknowledging this is a fault. I know compared to other issues it might not be so serious as the car continues to drive fine with it but my concern is that if its something that is corrected on newer models but not deemed serious enough to be rectified on the first batch we might be stuck with a car that is harder to resell further down the line.

Seems like other faults are gradually being sorted but the response to this one seems a bit more ambiguous - I sent an email to my dealer for example in regards to the Trophy I'm due to pick up soon and they acknowledged all the points would be dealt with but didn't mention the bulge issue. I wonder if the position of many dealers is still that this is not considered a fault?

This thread has slipped down the forum a bit but I wonder if anyone has had any further updates in regards to MG acknowledging this is a fault. I know compared to other issues it might not be so serious as the car continues to drive fine with it but my concern is that if its something that is corrected on newer models but not deemed serious enough to be rectified on the first batch we might be stuck with a car that is harder to resell further down the line.

Seems like other faults are gradually being sorted but the response to this one seems a bit more ambiguous - I sent an email to my dealer for example in regards to the Trophy I'm due to pick up soon and they acknowledged all the points would be dealt with but didn't mention the bulge issue. I wonder if the position of many dealers is still that this is not considered a fault?
It is often a challenge getting manufacturers to retrofit to early production cars, because it looks just like cost to them (they don't think about the long term relationship with the customer).

I haven't heard anything new but had seen previously that MG are testing a new undertray design.

This is definitely seen as lower priority than oil leaks and lock-ins.

It is often a challenge getting manufacturers to retrofit to early production cars, because it looks just like cost to them (they don't think about the long term relationship with the customer).

I haven't heard anything new but had seen previously that MG are testing a new undertray design.

This is definitely seen as lower priority than oil leaks and lock-ins.
Yes this is my concern a bit. We pick up a car now with the bulge and then nothing is done to ours to address it - then further down the line when the problem is rectified on newer versions it becomes an issue on re-sale ie 'is this one of the ones with the bulge fault'. At least other faults are being taken seriously (which I understand as they impact in a potentially dangerous way) but this one is still hanging there unacknowledged...

Yes this is my concern a bit. We pick up a car now with the bulge and then nothing is done to ours to address it - then further down the line when the problem is rectified on newer versions it becomes an issue on re-sale ie 'is this one of the ones with the bulge fault'. At least other faults are being taken seriously (which I understand as they impact in a potentially dangerous way) but this one is still hanging there unacknowledged...
Possibly, but then you are getting it before the price increase, so you have saved money in the first place.

I am pretty impressed actually how fast MG are jumping on these issues. Yes, there seem to be a lot of them, but what matters is how quickly they are addressed. I am a lot more positive than I was a few weeks ago.

Possibly, but then you are getting it before the price increase, so you have saved money in the first place.

I am pretty impressed actually how fast MG are jumping on these issues. Yes, there seem to be a lot of them, but what matters is how quickly they are addressed. I am a lot more positive than I was a few weeks ago.
Yes I appreciate some issues are bring resolved quickly which is indeed great - just seems this one is having a more ambiguous response - partly because the car is still driveable with it (although over time it can't be good for the car - didnt someone have the undertray of their car tore off?) but also possibly because of the cost involved to rectify. Its one thing to add a small breather and another to do remedial work for something like this.

I don't think you can offset any potential loss further down the line against some notional price rise in the future. What we are buying at the price now shouldn't be left with an issue like this.

Anyway - possibly there is a plan to rectify - it just seems quiet compared to other issues.

Latest update from MG is that there is no update.

Attachments

• 5C916D28-6283-4B48-9FB6-2D3341B31B69.jpeg
    5C916D28-6283-4B48-9FB6-2D3341B31B69.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 135
Latest update from MG is that there is no update.

Also, this thread reply on Twitter

Well at least they're replying but it's a bit ambiguous still. I can see them sorting the issue going forward but washing their hands of current cars - it'd gotta be a big task to retrofit a new undertray on all currently affected models. Will wait and see anyway...

Well at least they're replying but it's a bit ambiguous still. I can see them sorting the issue going forward but washing their hands of current cars - it'd gotta be a big task to retrofit a new undertray on all currently affected models. Will wait and see anyway...
Well. They can do it while fixing the breather :)

A small number? Just about everyone posting here who already has an MG4 has an undertray bulge (to a greater or lesser extent).
Well certainly if this forum is representative it seems to affect the vast majority - i cant see how if its a consitent design flaw it wouldnt affect every car to some degree. Be good for people with the issue to publicly add to that thread. The more it's out there the more incentive there is to resolve.

Well certainly if this forum is representative it seems to affect the vast majority - i cant see how if its a consitent design flaw it wouldnt affect every car to some degree. Be good for people with the issue to publicly add to that thread. The more it's out there the more incentive there is to resolve.
There is already an "have you got the undertray bulge" poll thread here:

Currently showing 85% have the bulge.

Also, this thread reply on Twitter

MG Motor UK should take a look at the photos of some of our “slight” undertray bulges (Hard to say that whilst keeping a straight face. Don’t think I could word it that way, were I talking face to face with my dealer. 😅). I certainly wouldn’t describe them as slight. It’s my understanding that undertrays are meant to offer protection from the elements as well as decreasing drag and therefore improving aerodynamic efficiency.

As Rupert has said, if forum members with this issue post their photos under that MG Motor UK reply, it will garner more attention from them, hopefully spurring a quicker fix. 🤞

MG Motor UK should take a look at the photos of some of our “slight” undertray bulges (Hard to say that whilst keeping a straight face. Don’t think I could word it that way, were I talking face to face with my dealer. 😅). I certainly wouldn’t describe them as slight. It’s my understanding that undertrays are meant to offer protection from the elements as well as decreasing drag and therefore improving aerodynamic efficiency.

As Rupert has said, if forum members with this issue post their photos under that MG Motor UK reply, it will garner more attention from them, hopefully spurring a quicker fix. 🤞
I've just added a pic and comment to the tweet FWIW.
As i have put i have never received a reply to my emails to customer service so that alone is not great. I haven't chased them or my dealers (who knew of the issue after looking at mine and finding there demo car also had it) and why should I, but i hoped the volume of others who have raised it - and some who had varying replies - would have helped get the message through.
The bulge may not be a massive problem but with the recent very wet and now very cold weather i'd feel a lot better driving without the gaping hole!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 88 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back