MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

View attachment 13667
Email I received at 11:36am today

View attachment 13667
Email I received at 11:36am toda
Wow you got a reply! I've just re-sent my emails to MG including to Mr Smart who is one of those not to acknowledge me. For balance overall i still love the car but its right MG should have to pull there socks up and help customers navigate any teething problems. As i put in my email i'm not asking anything of them i wouldn't expect to do myself in my job. Just acknowledgment would be a start!

Screenshot_20221214-142805.jpg

I've just added a pic and comment to the tweet FWIW.
As i have put i have never received a reply to my emails to customer service so that alone is not great. I haven't chased them or my dealers (who knew of the issue after looking at mine and finding there demo car also had it) and why should I, but i hoped the volume of others who have raised it - and some who had varying replies - would have helped get the message through.
The bulge may not be a massive problem but with the recent very wet and now very cold weather i'd feel a lot better driving without the gaping hole!
Good stuff! That should get their attention.

We are aware of this issue and we are waiting for a final resolution from the factory regarding this.

Hopefully it will not be too long before we reach a satisfactory conclusion.

We replied and discussed this with Paul Rigby at the time so that they could relay this back to you.

As an organisation, we are set up to support the dealer to support you, and they should approach MG on your behalf.

Yours sincerely
Gary Smart

That is on their twitter feed, I noticed there are now 3 pics of trays. Easy for me to say but I think a bit of social media pressure could be the way to go

Added a reply to your tweet. I don't really care about this actual relatively minor issue but their customer service is a MAJOR concern. If this is how they deal with clear quality issues then I worry what's the point in their 7 year warranty. Shouldn't need to have to fight this hard for something so clearly incorrect.

Some of us have experience of Mr Smart's infamous replies to questions and complaints :ROFLMAO:
I reported my bulging undertray to my dealership who refused to see it as an issue (and the oil leak, and the driver detection fault message), therefore wouldn't report it to MG UK.

I called and emailed MG UK, Mr. Smart kept replying to me, that it should be diagnosed by a dealership and reported to MG UK, and kept referring me back to my selling dealership, who has inspected it 3 times and said: it's a characteristic of the vehicle! (and the oil marks are engine oil, and completely ignored the fault message citing it doesn't affect the drivability)

England could use a defender like Mr. Smart tbh!

The good thing about twitter complaints is anyone can search for 'mg customer' and 3rd and 4th on the result list are this issue. A good company would work hard to keep that out of the public domain and DM those with the complaint.

This Mr Smart answers are public, thats how he gets away with such woeful responses

A small number? Just about everyone posting here who already has an MG4 has an undertray bulge (to a greater or lesser extent).
Bear in mind they mean in relation to the total sold. Most people are not on any forums and don’t look under their cars.

Eventually, come first service, they’ll get a more representative sample, if dealers know to report it.

I was just about to post the same. Definitely something that'll be helpful for those who are having difficulty with their dealer saying that 'it's normal' or 'by design'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just about to post the same. Definitely something that'll be helpful for those who are having difficulty with their dealer saying that 'it's normal' or 'by design'.
He seems to be saying it's going to be replaced but it doesn't seem like that decision has been made by MG? If they just said 'don't worry we'll be replacing and defective ones' I'd be absolutely fine with it. Its just not knowing it it is going to be considered a problem that will eventually be rectified that's the issue.

He seems to be saying it's going to be replaced but it doesn't seem like that decision has been made by MG? If they just said 'don't worry we'll be replacing and defective ones' I'd be absolutely fine with it. Its just not knowing it it is going to be considered a problem that will eventually be rectified that's the issue.
I thought MG were working on a redesign/replacement for it, to prevent the bulge? It doesn't help MG that some dealers aren't being proactive in their reporting of issues. Quite the contrary - they're down playing issues, like the oil leak, bulge and key detection problem. It's resulting in dissatisfied customers and if dealers aren't reporting issues, MG themselves aren't getting accurate information on how many cars are suffering with problems. It's really quite sad actually

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back