MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

I thought MG were working on a redesign/replacement for it, to prevent the bulge? It doesn't help MG that some dealers aren't being proactive in their reporting of issues. Quite the contrary - they're down playing issues, like the oil leak, bulge and key detection problem. It's resulting in dissatisfied customers and if dealers aren't reporting issues, MG themselves aren't getting accurate information on how many cars are suffering with problems. It's really quite sad actually
I think they are working on a redesign and I'm sure future models won't have this issue but I've still not see any confirmation that cars currently with the problem will have it rectified. If that gets confirmed then I'm happy enough - they would have responded to both the oil leak and the bulge issue promptly with fixes, the 'locked in car' problem looks like a software fix is already in the works and then it's just the various software niggles that will hopefully be ironed out over time. Can't ask more than that really. It just needs that confirmation.

I think they are working on a redesign and I'm sure future models won't have this issue but I've still not see any confirmation that cars currently with the problem will have it rectified. If that gets confirmed then I'm happy enough - they would have responded to both the oil leak and the bulge issue promptly with fixes, the 'locked in car' problem looks like a software fix is already in the works and then it's just the various software niggles that will hopefully be ironed out over time. Can't ask more than that really. It just needs that confirmation.
In the comments under the video, @stuartthomas confirms that it will be replaced and is on back order.

Ah apologies. I think slightly misunderstood your first reply to me. I agree, if we can just get that confirmation that these issues will indeed be rectified then we can all rest a little easier :)

MG could do with communicating that, the tweet on the previous page was only posted today by them
Well oddly enough I posted a reply on the undertray video with a link to the tweet from MG saying there was no guarantee that trays would be replaced as I was a bit confused based on Stuarts remark that they were replacing it. That comment was removed. I thought perhaps you just weren't allowed to post a link to a tweet so I replied again but this time quoting the tweet and that got removed as well! So someone doesn't want that message on the YouTube clip - very peculiar!

Just collected my MG4 SE SR, and the solution to a bulging undertray is... No undertray 😂

Just waiting for a copy of the email from MG to dealers advising it is to be removed on all deliveries now, have advised the dealer if I don't get this I want my undertray please

1000002443.jpg

Just collected my MG4 SE SR, and the solution to a bulging undertray is... No undertray 😂

Just waiting for a copy of the email from MG to dealers advising it is to be removed on all deliveries now, have advised the dealer if I don't get this I want my undertray please

View attachment 13719
Well that's certainly one way of getting around the problem o_O

View attachment 13719
They cannot be serious… 🤬🤯

View attachment 13719
Drastic! Software problems sir? Just hold on whilst we rip out your infotainment system :ROFLMAO:

Well that's certainly one way of getting around the problem o_O

They cannot be serious… 🤬🤯
Just called MG myself and sent an email, the guy on the phone has confirmed that it does appear to be the agreed course of action based on what's recorded on the computer system regarding other enquiries about it, but he said I'll get a written response from MG this next week if I've emailed.

Looks like the rest of it is there 😂 even managed 4.1mi/kWh driving back from Barnsley to Doncaster... Maybe the air scoop is the problem with everyone's efficiency 🙈

1000002437.jpg1000002439.jpg1000002438.jpg

Last edited:
It is a piece of plastic under the car. I am not that bothered, doubt it does much for the aero anyway. So for me, this solution is fine.

Cars never used to have undertrays and they can cause problems as a dirt catcher.
When I queried the undertray bulge with my dealer, and they said that it was common to all MG4s that they had seen, they also made the point that most cars don't have such a thing as an undertray, and everything above it is sufficiently protected from the elements anyway. So perhaps removing it is actually fine.

When I queried the undertray bulge with my dealer, and they said that it was common to all MG4s that they had seen, they also made the point that most cars don't have such a thing as an undertray, and everything above it is sufficiently protected from the elements anyway. So perhaps removing it is actually fine.
I do get that but it must have been there for a reason originally? Seems odd they would have added something that presumably bumps up coats slightly but serves no purpose at all.

I do get that but it must have been there for a reason originally? Seems odd they would have added something that presumably bumps up coats slightly but serves no purpose at all.
Apparently when looking online, undertrays except for plating under proper offroading 4x4s was put in place to meet drive by noise regulations opposed to aero or protection reasons.

Maybe it's there to baffle the motor whine?

Bear in mind they mean in relation to the total sold. Most people are not on any forums and don’t look under their cars.

Eventually, come first service, they’ll get a more representative sample, if dealers know to report it.
They could be including deposits payed in their total sold figure. Most of those haven't been delivered yet.

they also made the point that most cars don't have such a thing as an undertray, and everything above it is sufficiently protected from the elements anyway.

Sorry, but that is such rollocks.

The whole motor/gearbox assembly is not designed to be exposed to road sh1te, particularly the salt/grit that we have at this point of the year. Most front engined cars have had undertrays as standard for the last 20 years. The amount of stuff that gets flung up onto the rear underside is so much more than the front underside gets, so any issues will be much worse.

I am utterly gobsmacked, and having checked that this isn't 1st April, can honestly say this is one of the most crass pieces of overriding an engineering decision that I have ever seen.

Apparently when looking online, undertrays except for plating under proper offroading 4x4s was put in place to meet drive by noise regulations opposed to aero or protection reasons.

That may have been the driver with diesel engined ICE where aero efficiency is less of an issue than it is on EVs, but that's also related to the airflow through the outrageously large radiators required for the heat rejection with ICE.

I'll put forwards an alternative suggestion. The undertray catches and concentrates any oil leak into one area, and then the oil flows back along the visible underside of the undertray making it obvious that the issue is occuring. Without an undertray most of the oil will fall out onto the road never being seen, a leaving the owner blissfully ignorant. So removing the undertray kills two birds with one stone.

Maybe it's there to baffle the motor whine?
The reasons I have heard are:
  • Aerodynamics: small improvement
  • Dirt: protect motor from build up of dirt (questionable if it actually achieves this)
  • Noise: minor reduction

It most certainly is not structural or in any way protection for the underside of the car: you’d need a thick bash plate for that.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back