MG4 X Power Vibe/Hum 65to75mph

Had the wheels balanced earlier and all four were out to varying degrees, one of the front being the worst! They did have to take their time to get the rebalancing right, however result being no vibration! I drove a good distance at 65 to 70mph along the A483 and in my case, it appears to have resolved it.
Of course individual cars will vary, but Im happy with the outcome, just got to clean off the glue residue from the old weights.
that is a good update...when the dealer finally receive my new rotors to fit, i may also suggest that they do a rebalance

Just got a call from the dealer from a very happy lady (sarcasm) who said the rotors have arrived but the earliest I can book in so they can give me a courtesy car is 28th Feb!

I did ask about rebalancing the wheels if issue is still there but they said they can only do so much under warranty and that it would be chargable....

Had the wheels balanced earlier and all four were out to varying degrees, one of the front being the worst! They did have to take their time to get the rebalancing right, however result being no vibration! I drove a good distance at 65 to 70mph along the A483 and in my case, it appears to have resolved it.
Of course individual cars will vary, but Im happy with the outcome, just got to clean off the glue residue from the old weights.

What boggles me pal, is all the posts we read saying re balancing didn't work!!
I'm impressed that it has been resolved for you 👍

What boggles me pal, is all the posts we read saying re balancing didn't work!!
I'm impressed that it has been resolved for you 👍
I know, but I did only have it slightly, hopefully a few others get the benefit.
There is still the road noise from the tyres and suspension set up, that annoys a little. It is not as quiet inside as the EV6 was.

I know, but I did only have it slightly, hopefully a few others get the benefit.
There is still the road noise from the tyres and suspension set up, that annoys a little. It is not as quiet inside as the EV6 was.
Years ago Vauxhall had immense problems with wheel vibration.

The cure was wheel balancing, however in this instance it involved rotating the tyre on the rim to get the ideal start BEFORE fitting any balance weights.

Can't help thinking if someone who actually knows what they are doing with the right equipment has a go it would help.

Glad you got it sorted :)

From what the tyre fitter said he had to put the weight in a place on the alloy they wouldn't normally do. I will have a look again tomorrow when I clean the car to see where they are located. However that sorted it out, so whether its an issue with tyre fitment, who knows.

Do wheels and tyres not normally have markers that should be lined up?

It is my understanding? that some brands put a red dot on the tyre wall which is the "heavy" part of the tyre.
The fitter is then supposed to put this dot opposite the valve.
This is the first balancing step before any weights are added.

The red and yellow dots have different meanings, which you use depends if the wheel is marked or not...

The red and yellow dots have different meanings, which you use depends if the wheel is marked or not...
Ah, nearly got it right 👍🤣

It is my understanding? that some brands put a red dot on the tyre wall which is the "heavy" part of the tyre.
The fitter is then supposed to put this dot opposite the valve.
This is the first balancing step before any weights are added.
There is a spot but appears to be orange! Hopefully we may have an answer for some owners, with balancing. However whoever you use, they need to know what they are doing. I cannot fault Kwik Fit Wrexham for their efforts.

I've had my wheels balanced, the guy said that all 3 wheels were out by 10/15% and the front drivers side wheel had no balancing weights on at all...either not done or had fallen off.
I won't be able to test yet but will let you know my findings over the weekend👍

Fallen off due to the vibrations no doubt! 🤣
Looking forward to an update on "Gert Mint" in due course👍

There is a spot but appears to be orange! Hopefully we may have an answer for some owners, with balancing. However whoever you use, they need to know what they are doing. I cannot fault Kwik Fit Wrexham for their efforts.
Of my 4 tyres (Bridgestones) only one had an orange spot on it! (was probably red at one point)

I've had a bit of a burn up this morning😁 after having my wheels balanced.... drum roll!!.... the vibration seems to be a lot less, where it was from 65-75mph... it's now around 70-73mph and there's less of a vibration through the steering wheel.
The ride is much nicer, while there is still some road noise (diff tarmac, diff noise) the noise is also much quieter🤷‍♂️

From Lampymic in a PM this morning....

Today at 8:24 AM
Morning Bricktop1967,
Have you noticed any vibration, although vibration might be the wrong word possibly a buzzing sensation when reaching 68+ on the motorway? I really noticed it on Thursday on a quick trip down the M55, wondering if you’ve noticed anything seeing as you’ve had yours longer.

Cheers

Morning Mike
Yes I have m8.
I've mentioned it a few times in various posts.
I find it at anything between 65-75 mph.

Dealer knows nothing (obviously!)

I am still in a bit of a quandary about what to do about it.
I mean it's not terrible, but should a brand new car have anything like this?
I've never had another car start Vibing at me before.
This is the weekend when I decide whether to reject it or not.

From Lampymic

Thank you, I’ll start a thread on it when I get back from the picket line, today is a very expensive day off!
It’s interesting that you’ve got it too, it’s clearly an issue that dealers should be aware of. I’m going to give them a call to ask them to chase it up with MG, I’ll tell them I’m not happy with the car doing it and we shall see what happens.

To be honest LKA isn’t causing me that many issues at all, the roads around me are so poor it can’t detect the lane it’s supposed to be keeping me in!

I feel a bit bad not waiting for Lampymic to start this thread, but he's busy on a very worthy cause.
Any abuse will be gladly received.🤣

There are only a few of us with Xpowers at the moment but it already seems to be inherent in all of them

Interestingly, at 75mph it's almost non existent in my vehicle.
Now I of course realise, that I should not have to break the law in order to have a smoother, vibe free ride.....
"Yes officer, I do have to go a bit faster as my car has been hastily engineered to get it to market"
I noticed how noisy my x power is last Thursday. I travelled from Cleveleys to Wrightington Hospital and on the way there I spent most of the journey trying to work out what the various noises were. On arrival I plugged in the rear seatbelts & secured two items in the boot (bottle of water etc) & on the way home I turned up the stereo & concentrated on what a cracking drive the car is. Ive ordered 5 rubber seatbelt buckle covers off Ali express to stop buckles in the rear drumming on the trim.

I'm not sure if some of you guys are on some of the FB groups but it has been awash with complaints on the vibration today, we do still have the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to fall back on...maybe MG will wake up...its starting to remind me of the Post Office/Horizon scandal!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom