MG4 X-Power waiting area

The more I'm reading the reviews about this car the lees I'm feeling it šŸ§
It's not even an option here in Italy yet so I'm saved the dilemma but in my short experience so far with my car I don't feel let down by performance....
If it goes fast, it has to be able to go round corners and stop more than a few times without cooking the brakes...

Maybe it's just me...?

I'm with you, it's not doing it for me. For me a performance car is brakes, tyres, handling, and lastly power. If you don't have the first three the power is at best a traffic light drag race feature, or worst, dangerous.
I totally agree, I be had my own share of hot hatches and rear wheel drive sporty cars, none of them have had the power or the 0-60 time of the X power but everyone of them put a smile on my face.

Dull is not what I want from a performance car.

As another member described sounds like an American muscle car, great in a straight line, crap handling not what you need on British roads.
As you have said it's potentially just a traffic light drag racer.

The Hyundai the compared it to although a second and a half slower 0-60 will probably out perform it on British B roads, certainly out handle and out break it

Stunning acceleration for the price but I had a feeling the all wheel drive would smother it slightly.
300 BHP through the rear wheels alone would mean less weight, purer steering and probably much more fun. Sometimes less is more with cars.

I've been driving performance cars for the last 20 years and I'm still a little sceptical about this one. A powerful engine or motor(s) is just one piece of a complicated power delivery jigsaw.
There have been plenty of previous examples in the hot hatch world where an excellent engine has been coupled with inadequate chassis, suspension, steering and braking design. If you are lucky this results in a dull driving experience but at worst, it can encourage and assist the driver in putting the car into situations they will be incapable of controlling.

I've been driving performance cars for the last 20 years and I'm still a little sceptical about this one. A powerful engine or motor(s) is just one piece of a complicated power delivery jigsaw.
There have been plenty of previous examples in the hot hatch world where an excellent engine has been coupled with inadequate chassis, suspension, steering and braking design. If you are lucky this results in a dull driving experience but at worst, it can encourage and assist the driver in putting the car into situations they will be incapable of controlling.
Totally agree, I remember watching top gear taking the astra vxr out on the track, loads of bhp but the chassis just could cope with it, handling was atrocious it torque steered all over the place

Can anyone confirm whether the X-Power is 4-wheel drive? I was told by my dealer last year that the "performance model" would be 4wd, but I've not seen it mentioned since, and one early youtube reviewer said RWD. What's the definitive?

When you've got a proper hot hatch like the gr Yaris that costs less but has critically acclaimed handling then the X power is up against it. It's great that the x power is so cheap but they'd do well on the phase 2 version, probably 6 months away with MG's current marketing policy, to put some proper suspension & brakes on and charge Ā£40k

Can anyone confirm whether the X-Power is 4-wheel drive? I was told by my dealer last year that the "performance model" would be 4wd, but I've not seen it mentioned since, and one early youtube reviewer said RWD. What's the definitive?

Early stuff was on leaks and people misreading I think as the ER is faster but only single motor.

When you've got a proper hot hatch like the gr Yaris that costs less but has critically acclaimed handling then the X power is up against it. It's great that the x power is so cheap but they'd do well on the phase 2 version, probably 6 months away with MG's current marketing policy, to put some proper suspension & brakes on and charge Ā£40k
And proper performance tyres

No - they're Bridgestone tyres (I think) on the X-Power, whereas the Trophy has the standard Continental.

IMG_3780.jpeg

Seems itā€™s insurance group 40.
Admiral quoted me double what my 67 plate i30 estate costs me (Ā£800 vs Ā£400) but I reckon thatā€™s better than I dared hope.
Turns out my current one is group 13, thatā€™s less increase than Iā€™d have expected for such a jump.

View attachment 19041
Seems itā€™s insurance group 40.
Admiral quoted me double what my 67 plate i30 estate costs me (Ā£800 vs Ā£400) but I reckon thatā€™s better than I dared hope.
Turns out my current one is group 13, thatā€™s less increase than Iā€™d have expected for such a jump.
That's a fair chunk of cash, that's the same group as Tesla's.
I kind of guessed that would be the case, big decisions for people if they are upgrading from a trophy where you probably have the better balance of power, handling, comfort, range and luggage space.

Trading off all that for straight line speed that will chew through battery.

In my opinion it only makes the extended range model more attractive.

That's a fair chunk of cash, that's the same group as Tesla's.
I kind of guessed that would be the case, big decisions for people if they are upgrading from a trophy where you probably have the better balance of power, handling, comfort, range and luggage space.

Trading off all that for straight line speed that will chew through battery.

In my opinion it only makes the extended range model more attractive.
I agree. So much so I looked into swapping out my trophy for an ER. However found out that the book price for a 10 month old trophy with average miles is currently Ā£23K. So that quickly turned into a non starter. Will stick with my Trophy for another 12 months or so, and see what happens re: figures when the Cyberster comes out.

My Tesla M3 performance was under Ā£500, when I insured my mg4 it cost over that! I was a little annoyed thinking itā€™ll be much cheaper, I guess this is the penalty you have to pay to have one of the first on the road when barely any other insurance were quoting.
Iā€™d expect to be a lot cheaper on my next renewal.

I agree. So much so I looked into swapping out my trophy for an ER. However found out that the book price for a 10 month old trophy with average miles is currently Ā£23K. So that quickly turned into a non starter. Will stick with my Trophy for another 12 months or so, and see what happens re: figures when the Cyberster comes out.
Youā€™ll get more than that when traded in against another MG.

My Tesla M3 performance was under Ā£500, when I insured my mg4 it cost over that! I was a little annoyed thinking itā€™ll be much cheaper, I guess this is the penalty you have to pay to have one of the first on the road when barely any other insurance were quoting.
Iā€™d expect to be a lot cheaper on my next renewal.
I was. In much the same boat as you. Renewal due late September, however I have seen horror stories re: new quotes for insurance (including home insurance) since April this year.

I think we are going to get our eyes ripped out and to just blame it on the ā€œcost of livingā€ bollox.

Youā€™ll get more than that when traded in against another MG.
That was what I was quoted by trading it in for the MG4 ER

I was. In much the same boat as you. Renewal due late September, however I have seen horror stories re: new quotes for insurance (including home insurance) since April this year.

I think we are going to get our eyes ripped out and to just blame it on the ā€œcost of livingā€ bollox.
Agree there are horror stories about renewal quotes on speak EV (Tesla's appear especially high)

New YT review:

Pretty ā€œnormal userā€ type of review which is pretty much where I am I think, Iā€™m no race driver, Iā€™m never likely to experience brake fade I just want the oomph when I boot it. I think with my expectations managed Iā€™ll be pretty happy.

New YT review:

Pretty ā€œnormal userā€ type of review which is pretty much where I am I think, Iā€™m no race driver, Iā€™m never likely to experience brake fade I just want the oomph when I boot it. I think with my expectations managed Iā€™ll be pretty happy.

Exactly my thinking, I just need the instant get up and go when I wanted to overtake someone quickly and safely.
I used to regularly drive on the Woodhead pass , know it like the back of my hand, but have never experienced any brake fades, guess it tells you how average I am as a driver and I thought I was hammering it, šŸ˜‚ (It was in the 80s Renault 5 GT Turbo because I couldnā€™t afford Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9)

I think Iā€™ll ran out of talent well before the car reaches its limit!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom