MG5 Long Range - real range ?

I have found that range has increased too and not just due to warmer weather. Either I drive differently or the battery has got better, maybe has been 'run in' ?

Just been on holiday in the Peek district in our MG5 LR exclusive. Weather was very good and temperatures around 15 degrees. Did around 700 miles and averaged around 3.9 miles per Kw after leaving the accumulated total for the entire week. Not much motorway driving mainly 60 and 50mph max. When I charged up over night the car sometimes showed a range of 260 miles. Traveling too our destination on motorway obtained less than 200miles on full charge at 70mph where possible. economy and level 3 KERS.

on motorway obtained less than 200miles on full charge at 70mph where possible. economy and level 3 KERS.
That's of interest, I rarely need public charging but I have a long trip planned for August and also am looking at a foreign trip later in the year. It'd be interesting how much that figure improves at 65mph, and worsens at 75. I mean over long distance.

I feel overall on a very long journey the start to finish elapsed time won't be much different - higher speed = more charging.

Just been on holiday in the Peek district in our MG5 LR exclusive. Weather was very good and temperatures around 15 degrees. Did around 700 miles and averaged around 3.9 miles per Kw after leaving the accumulated total for the entire week. Not much motorway driving mainly 60 and 50mph max. When I charged up over night the car sometimes showed a range of 260 miles. Traveling too our destination on motorway obtained less than 200miles on full charge at 70mph where possible. economy and level 3 KERS.
That's of interest, I rarely need public charging but I have a long trip planned for August and also am looking at a foreign trip later in the year. It'd be interesting how much that figure improves at 65mph, and worsens at 75. I mean over long distance.

I feel overall on a very long journey the start to finish elapsed time won't be much different - higher speed = more charging.
Also may have been better by changing the KERS on motorway to 1. Keep momentum less slowing/accelerating

Also may have been better by changing the KERS on motorway to 1. Keep momentum less slowing/accelerating
I love it when driving skills begin to kick it

Having upgraded to an LR from a standard model in December I had to wait until this weekend gone to give it a decent run. 770 miles overall, 300 miles Carlisle to Great Yarmouth on Thursday with an overnight stop (+ free charging) half way, a load of running about there (free charging also at the resort) and all the way back in one day (yesterday).
I naturally wondered if the 250-mile claim for this model was valid, but hitting over 130 miles on the first 50% seems to have proven it, even at cruising speed (1st picture).
I stopped for a Subway near Doncaster on the way back and used a SHELL rapid charger which put 15kw/h back in by the time I'd bought and eaten it, pushing it back up to 84%, and subsequently got home with nearly 20% remaining. (2nd pic)
I was also quite pleased with the 4.4kw/h overall figure (last pic).
Granted I set off with a full battery but actual electricity purchase cost for the trip was just over £7, and even after around 7 hours in the car I felt pretty fresh. These really are excellent cars 🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220412-220745_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220412-220745_Messenger.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 136
  • 20220411_173020.jpg
    20220411_173020.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20220411_172929.jpg
    20220411_172929.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Seen this about range need to do your own testing I believe to see what works best for you
Les

Always eco and regen 3 with a nicely polished team red as long as you limit the intake to one scone with your americano coffee stirred anticlockwise with the ten mil spanner (open end). Our accumulated figure is consistently around 4.2mpk.

So a couple of weeks back, I managed to get this result see picture, nice warm day 15/16 degrees mix driving on flat roads mainly E1 but I do try my best to read the road ahead and use the KERS switch to slow the car when I can see I’m going have to make a stop at traffic lights etc
Les.

Attachments

• 5C1B874F-D4F4-4850-934A-1C6CCEF008B3.jpeg
    5C1B874F-D4F4-4850-934A-1C6CCEF008B3.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 127
Always eco and regen 3 with a nicely polished team red as long as you limit the intake to one scone with your americano coffee stirred anticlockwise with the ten mil spanner (open end). Our accumulated figure is consistently around 4.2mpk.
Hi Archev, I agree with you on the Accumulated figure this is a far better picture, I recently posted pictures of my car on its Birthday over the first year 11700 miles it showed 4.1 mpk.
I have never reset any of the counters in my car from new and that for me is a true account of what the 5SR had done in all weathers and types of journeys
Les.

So a couple of weeks back, I managed to get this result see picture, nice warm day 15/16 degrees mix driving on flat roads mainly E1 but I do try my best to read the road ahead and use the KERS switch to slow the car when I can see I’m going have to make a stop at traffic lights etc
Les.
Do you ever hear any hooters behind you Les, or drivers seeming to be waving at you as they pass? :)

Hi Archev, I agree with you on the Accumulated figure this is a far better picture, I recently posted pictures of my car on its Birthday over the first year 11700 miles it showed 4.1 mpk.
I have never reset any of the counters in my car from new and that for me is a true account of what the 5SR had done in all weathers and types of journeys
Les.
Good morning Les. Isn’t it just a dream to be going on about the odd 0.1 mpk like it really mattered ? I love seeing what other folk can squeeze out of a battery and therefor how many pennies they can save in a month’s driving. It gives us all something to discuss to take our minds off how much we used to throw away on the oily fuels.
Anyway, with the savings today we’re off to another fine wee garden centre in Freuchie over in Fife. They have a grand restaurant where we can have lunch. Then we’ll buy some tomato plants for the greenhouse.
this will then allow us to worry about the costs involved in transporting all that extra weight back. Not too sure if I can calculate the cost per tomato unless that shows on one of the screens 🤣 Enjoy you’re day.

Do you ever hear any hooters behind you Les, or drivers seeming to be waving at you as they pass? :)
Well first I must be deaf, and second as I said watching and reading the road ahead is a good thing to do, but I can drive just as quick as anyone else when conditions allow.
Les

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom