• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 Spare wheel kit

Took the plunge and bought my first Mercedes............ Class A/B space saver. All fits well apart from the CB that is to big. I followed Sparkygoats useful advice and bought a spigot ring (68.1to 56.1) to reduce the diameter, but could not get it to fit on the hub (didn't want to force it or knowing my luck I won't get it off). There is a 'lip'/larger diameter on the hub preventing the spigot from sliding on (see photo). Any advice on what size spigot ring would be great from you guys and gals.

Attachments

• IMG_20211113_114629.jpg
    IMG_20211113_114629.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_20211113_122454.jpg
    IMG_20211113_122454.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 215
Took the plunge and bought my first Mercedes............ Class A/B space saver. All fits well apart from the CB that is to big. I followed Sparkygoats useful advice and bought a spigot ring (68.1to 56.1) to reduce the diameter, but could not get it to fit on the hub (didn't want to force it or knowing my luck I won't get it off). There is a 'lip'/larger diameter on the hub preventing the spigot from sliding on (see photo). Any advice on what size spigot ring would be great from you guys and gals.
Did you solve this?

Not really, I need to have another look.
Having carried out a bit of research, the only purpose of the spigot is to centralise the wheel, but the locking nuts do this anyway (I'm waiting for all the arguments for and against this to appear on this thread 😖).
I have 'cut' one of the spigots into 2 halves just to help with the process.

The bolts apply the drive to the wheel along with the tension on the bolts gripping the wheel against the hub. Centring the wheel is done by both the spigot and the coned bolts however they also provide static (the weight) and dynamic (bumps, potholes etc.) load support. This last loading can be huge (multiples of the static corner weight) and I am not sure I would even trust spigot rings over the correct size of wheel. Bolts can and do snap if excessively loaded

Have you considered the insurance implications of driving with incorrectly (not as per manufacturers instructions) fitted wheels. Insurance companies are well known for denying claims whenever they can, you could be running essentially third party only insurance if you use the wrong wheel. Is it really worth the saving?

Virtually no effect on the range measurable in my experience. But the effect on the nerves of not having a spare and ripping a tyre is immeasurable (see the picture of my tyre torn by a rock in the middle of nowhere)
spare wheel every time for me please.
Did you have trouble getting tyres I have Bridgestone had three punctures

Did you have trouble getting tyres I have Bridgestone had three punctures
I’ve always preferred Michelins. I had two punctures in 260,000 miles in my first Maestro turbo diesel van (and three or four front wheel bearings). No other faults and sold it as a running vehicle!
One or two other punctures with various vehicles over my fifty something years of driving.
But no I’ve never had any trouble getting repairs or replacement tyres the same or next day.
Those have always been “ordinary “ size tyres - never owned any really exotic or sports machines that required unusual/ expensive rubber circles.

I have obtained a VW spacesaver. Having read this thread I'm unclear whether I really have to get new bolts. I wouldn't expect to be travelling far on a spacesaver but you never know...

Can someone advise please, and if deemed necessary point me towards the right bolts on eBay or AliExpress?

They are a different shape and I got a set off a mate who tinkers with cars. Like you say it's only to get you to get the tyre repaired or replaced

If the donor car was fitted with alloys check the wheel as it may not need special bolts.

Alloy wheel hubs are invariably thicker than steel so many space saver wheel have small turrets welded onto the holes to make the wheel thick enough to take the alloy bolts.

Sometimes the rim at the top of the turret is rounded rather than coned. Steel being harder plus the limited use of the wheel (they tyre wears out very repidly) the rounded top allows for variation of the bolt type used

I know nothing of the donor car, and didn't realise this could be so complex.

I am still carrying the gunk and inflator so if the AA man can't swap the wheel I have a fallback.

Does anybody know if the space saver wheel for the ZS EV will fit the new long range EV, are there 5 stud holes and stud length the same?

I ask because I purchased a space saver for my current ZS EV and have a new longe range on order, so I am hoping I can transfer that instead of having to purchase a new one.
Ideally do a transfer from car to car on the forecourt

I believe the bolt PCD is different i.e. 112 vs 100mm
Damn. I was hoping for this too when I change my 2019 version for a Trophy when my contract’s up. Looks like I’ll either have to negotiate with the dealer or sell it privately (can you imagine the postage…!😮

hi sorry if i am being a bit thick but i am looking for a VW golf space saver and note that they are 125/70 r16 but the mg5 is quoted as 125/90 r16 Is a T125/70 r16 from a golf mark 5 2007 1.9 diesel a suitable spare?

That is the one. Not the exact size to the MG spare but it is only to get you to a garage in an emergency and at low speed.

hi sorry if i am being a bit thick but i am looking for a VW golf space saver and note that they are 125/70 r16 but the mg5 is quoted as 125/90 r16 Is a T125/70 r16 from a golf mark 5 2007 1.9 diesel a suitable spare?
Hi Peterch, Mg5 original of 125/90 R16 Outside diameter is 24.9 inches
T125/70 r16 from a golf 125/70 r16 is 22.9inches which seems an excessively small diameter but some forum members do seem to have gone for the golf wheel. Instead, I went for a Mercedes A/B class space with T125/90/R16 PCD:5x112 CB:68. ET32,. The diameter is 24.89inches so very very close. The Merc hub ccentrebore (CB) is a little too big but the Mg's radiused nuts centre and hold the wheel very firmly anyway. There is of course endless debate whether you should get spigot rings for any car with alloys/aftermarket wheels with oversized PCD but for me, I think because many of these spigot rings are plastic or aluminium that indicates to me that they are just for centering the wheel especially where you are fitting radiused nuts into similarly radiused wheel nut holes. If you look at Europarts.com, they sell plastic spigot rings and describe there purpose as "Spigot rings are usually made of metal or hard plastic and come in many different sizes. Their purpose is to help align aftermarket wheels."
Anyway, probably always best to satisfy yourself with some of your own research. Or on a dark cold dark night on the motorway you could dig out the Mg foam gun thing and hope for the best!. :)

Any one else out there got any views on the hub centric/lug centric/spigot ring debate ? ( 000's I expect :) )

Do away with all the uncertainty and just get the correct MG wheel.
I total agree with you Alb £25000 ish to buy the car and wobbling about £250 for the correct and totally safe part to fit it in the woads of one Victor Meldrew
I DONT BELIEVE IT
I wonder would your insurance be valid if something went wrong while using the wrong one?
Les.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom