Mismatch with %age and efficiency on MG5 Long range EV

I should've guessed :). I had a Mondeo with that engine once, 57 reg. Bought the car second hand from a Ford dealer, it wasn't old. (maybe 18 months). I was a few miles late getting the 30000 service done - pretty sure it was well under 1000. Later that year the engine started making a rattle. Same dealer diagnosed big end gone (or similar), likely due to oil degradation. They refused to consider a warranty claim as service was late. I did argue over the fact that Mobil synth oil was good for 10s of thousands of miles but in the end had to get a new engine at my cost - luckily someone found me a bench test engine from Dunton which came out at about £3k fitted.

Having related the tale since to a number of Fordies, apparently that engine was quite prone to that, particularly in the STs.

I think Ford servicing costs were £130ph way back then. An hat was one of the most disappointing cars I've ever owned, not only because of the above issue. Seemed to have many minor faults and it finally had to go when the sunroof packed up and a dealer wanted £100 just to look at it, not refundable against remedial work. Next door neighbour fixed it in 5 minutes.

So after my first post here #6 last Friday today I have done the return motorway journey with my MG5 Trophy so this trip it was quite a bit colder average around 6-8 degrees the whole journey so well down on last weeks 15 or so.
Well I thought I would keep my speed down to round 60 mph to see if I could get over
4mpkh so set off around 12:15 8 degrees in Amersham Buckinghamshire started at 97% 251 miles
A6FE0B5D-C7A4-4351-A45E-1AF4B89CF863.jpeg
6/7 miles a on A355 to pick up M40 north bound ACC set on 60mph heater on and off 20 degrees mid fan speed to clear windows also seats on from time to time so at 15:04 got to Hilton park services on the M6 with about 123 miles done but with still around 80 to do so now have 40% 84 miles in the tank.
645D07B1-C232-48BA-B45E-5C680C997979.jpeg
so i decided I would have a quick top up which I did put 10% in around 15kw which took me to 116 miles at 50% ok that will get us home no point in putting more in at 69ppkw was on a 50kw Gridserve unit and the car pulled 48kws not bad at all, so we set off again still with ACC on 60 eco mode regen 1 and arrived home at 17.28 traffic was quite heavy from around Keele services to home around 42 miles so couldn’t keep to the 60mph in fact was down to 20/30 around Warrington area impossible to keep to 60
So arrived home with 13% 27miles left

6E389B95-A538-4AD2-BED8-5BAB1E6BFD46.jpeg
So drove slower than going but got less then going see #6 Weather was colder but I had much less weight in the car coming home so 3.6 mpkh is for me disappointing my first MG5 exclusive SR with a 50 kw battery did this very same journey under very similar conditions and temperatures many many times and never did any less than 4.3 winter and 4.6 summer I wonder how this car will do in the summer we will see bear in mind this is motorway driving for around 190 miles both here and in #6

Just a short addition to the above on Saturday went to my sons house in SE London and the the 02 arena, and when I arrive at my lads house I had 38% around 95miles but in the next picture look at the miles 4.3mpkw that was driving from Amersham in London traffic.
FEEA8281-5E99-48A7-8932-C6F9967DBDE3.jpeg
So I plug in and fully charge again to 100% and at that the GOM says we now have 266 !!! miles available at 100%.
67ED8A61-82F4-4853-92D0-E19FD7082E95.jpeg
So very late on Saturday night I drive back to Amersham via the A12 & M11 plus M25 in total around 67 miles at an average speed of around 50 mph and when I arrive the GOM is showing 70% & 165 miles remaining, so it as used 101 miles of range but only done around 67.
8B41ADFC-E111-4CF1-B338-E5DB1A865A13.jpeg

The moral of the post is don’t believe anything the GOM tells you in truth the percentage figure is more in the right, if you double your percentage you will get a much more accurate range available than what the car tells you in general hopefully it will improve as it gets warmer.
Les

Last edited:
So after my first post here #6 last Friday today I have done the return motorway journey with my MG5 Trophy so this trip it was quite a bit colder average around 6-8 degrees the whole journey so well down on last weeks 15 or so.
Well I thought I would keep my speed down to round 60 mph to see if I could get over
4mpkh so set off around 12:15 8 degrees in Amersham Buckinghamshire started at 97% 251 miles
View attachment 15422
6/7 miles a on A355 to pick up M40 north bound ACC set on 60mph heater on and off 20 degrees mid fan speed to clear windows also seats on from time to time so at 15:04 got to Hilton park services on the M6 with about 123 miles done but with still around 80 to do so now have 40% 84 miles in the tank.
View attachment 15424
so i decided I would have a quick top up which I did put 10% in around 15kw which took me to 116 miles at 50% ok that will get us home no point in putting more in at 69ppkw was on a 50kw Gridserve unit and the car pulled 48kws not bad at all, so we set off again still with ACC on 60 eco mode regen 1 and arrived home at 17.28 traffic was quite heavy from around Keele services to home around 42 miles so couldn’t keep to the 60mph in fact was down to 20/30 around Warrington area impossible to keep to 60
So arrived home with 13% 27miles left

View attachment 15425
So drove slower than going but got less then going see #6 Weather was colder but I had much less weight in the car coming home so 3.6 mpkh is for me disappointing my first MG5 exclusive SR with a 50 kw battery did this very same journey under very similar conditions and temperatures many many times and never did any less than 4.3 winter and 4.6 summer I wonder how this car will do in the summer we will see bear in mind this is motorway driving for around 190 miles both here and in #6

Just a short addition to the above on Saturday went to my sons house in SE London and the the 02 arena, and when I arrive at my lads house I had 38% around 95miles but in the next picture look at the miles 4.3mpkw that was driving from Amersham in London traffic.
View attachment 15426
So I plug in and fully charge again to 100% and at that the GOM says we now have 266 !!! miles available at 100%.
View attachment 15427
So very late on Saturday night I drive back to Amersham via the A12 & M11 plus M25 in total around 67 miles at an average speed of around 50 mph and when I arrive the GOM is showing 70% & 165 miles remaining, so it as used 101 miles of range but only done around 67.
View attachment 15428

The moral of the post is don’t believe anything the GOM tells you in truth the percentage figure is more in the right, if you double your percentage you will get a much more accurate range available than what the car tells you in general hopefully it will improve as it gets warmer.
Les
Exactly the conclusion I've come to with our MK1 standard range; 2 miles/% is a good general guide most of the year. Equally faffing about with Eco mode and KERS3 doesn't really seem to make much difference, though of course the GOM dubiously shows more range in Eco mode.

It might get better yet did a run yesterday from Wigan to Stockport and back, probably 30 miles of motorway some of which with 50 mph restrictions and the rest at 65 ish then the rest on A roads mostly flat I didn’t take a picture at the start but I know the car was at around 60% SOC and on my return it shows 4.6 mpkh for the trip, much better still a bit on the chilly side around 7/8 degrees that was the kind of figure I have been hoping for but not getting until this run anyhow so 4.6 mpkh will do nicely thank you.

The only real difference between this drive and the ones I have list above is the load in the car on this run only me in the car and no extra weight.
Les
4D171E47-DFB7-410E-9CE2-4252D7670427.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom