• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Model update: User feedback makes MG4 Electric even better (MG Press 24-05-2023)

(Google translated from offical MG press release on 24.05.2023 in German, source: Modell-Update: Nutzer-Feedback macht MG4 Electric noch besser - MG Motor Europe)
  • MG Motor is further upgrading the MG4 Electric - model year 2023 from now on at the MG Motor agencies
  • All models with even more extensive standard equipment, seat heating from the standard [1], heat pump now for the Comfort [2] and Luxury [3] variants as standard
  • One-Pedal-Driving, route-assisted battery preheating - further improvements of the MG4 Electric
Munich, Germany, May 24, 2023 – MG Motor has further upgraded the MG4 Electric for its customers. The 2023 model year of the hatchback brings new and additional equipment as well as further comfort and safety features. Only a few months after the successful market launch of the MG4 Electric, MG Motor is thus implementing initial feedback from customers and the trade press and further optimizing the currently most popular MG motor model.

Optimized battery preheating​

A new feature has been added to the preheating function available in all models in the Luxury variant. The battery can not only be actively preheated via setting via the 10.25-inch touchscreen, which improves the charging time, as with the standard and comfort equipment, but the process can also be carried out after the update using the navigation and depending on the route to a charging station can be automated.

One-Pedal-Driving and Co.: additional standard equipment for all models​

The equipment level of the MG4 Electric receives a further boost. Heated front seats, a heated steering wheel made of microfiber leather and 17-inch aluminum wheels with two-tone wheel trims are now part of the standard equipment for both the MG4 Electric Standard and the MG4 Electric Comfort.

The MG4 Electric Luxury is now standard on striking 18-inch aluminum rims with two-tone wheel trim. The heat pump previously reserved for the Luxury model is now also part of the standard equipment for the Comfort model. It heats the interior particularly efficiently, which means that a longer range can be available in cold temperatures.

All three model variants include a rear window wiper and now three rear headrests, which further increase the level of safety for passengers, as standard. In addition, all MG4 Electric variants can now be driven in comfortable one-pedal driving. Only by releasing the accelerator pedal is the moderate braking effect, even to a standstill, and thus the energy recovery triggered.

Prices remain low​

With the attractive facelift measures, MG Motor is further increasing the technical level of the MG4 Electric and incorporating customer wishes in terms of equipment. For those interested, the compact, fully electrified hatchback remains an extremely attractive entry-level model for electromobility.

After deducting the manufacturer's environmental bonus*, the MG4 Electric Standard is available in Germany from €32,312.50*. The MG4 Electric Comfort starts in Germany after the manufacturer environmental bonus* from €37,312.50, the MG4 Electric Luxury from €39,312.50. Thanks to the customer environmental bonus*, all models are eligible and the price can be up to €4,500 lower if a corresponding customer application is approved.
Source (in German): Modell-Update: Nutzer-Feedback macht MG4 Electric noch besser - MG Motor Europe

Miles doesn't represent MG UK, he is part of an MG dealership. He volunteers his time here, has some inside information and can via his connections ask for some things but it would way better if MGUK had an official presence here.

I do sort of understand why they don't - it would be more than a full time job and they'd be swamped by people with problems trying to resolve them via MG UK rather than their dealer. They have very few staff and probably think their time is better spent evolving the vehicles for the UK market.

I'd settle for MG UK quietly reading these forums and then putting out some communications about what they are going address.
I’d hazard a guess they are well aware of the forum. 😁

One of the questions I got from the dealer when I took my car in for the LKA update points to the fact they are aware of these forums and maybe aren’t the biggest fans of them.

Problem is with MG, their lack of transparency, for both the mechanical and software parts of the car, while some dealers aren’t as receptive and as clued up as they really should be, which also doesn’t help.

To have to fight for things such as like LKA and breathers when they’re clearly big issues isn’t acceptable.

it would way better if MGUK had an official presence here.
Be careful what you wish for - They might give the job to Gary Smart!
I'd settle for MG UK quietly reading these forums and then putting out some communications about what they are going address.
Agreed.

Miles doesn't represent MG UK, he is part of an MG dealership. He volunteers his time here, has some inside information and can via his connections ask for some things but it would way better if MGUK had an official presence here.

I do sort of understand why they don't - it would be more than a full time job and they'd be swamped by people with problems trying to resolve them via MG UK rather than their dealer. They have very few staff and probably think their time is better spent evolving the vehicles for the UK market.

Ahh I see, so Miles works solely in a dealership. Do they franchise their dealerships ?

From all of this, forum in general and experience of buying an MG4, to me it stands out that there are gaps which could be addressed. Gaps in MG absorbing feedback and communications with customers acknowledging that, along with standardising a level of customer service across dealerships.

If MG is reading this forum, I would hope someone there sees these gaps and looks to communicate that they are addressing them at least..... maybe through Miles !

Last edited:
The press release does not specifically mention UK spec cars so some of the changes may not be applied here (eg heat pump).
Its baffling that the third rear headrest and a rear wiper will be added now rather than having been included from launch.
I don't know why that is baffling. Personally I don't want/need either: I'd remove the 3rd headrest for rear visibility and at least on my Trophy, I have no need for a dinky wiper that will only reach a small fraction on the screen - mine stays clean and clear already.

Hopefully I don't have to peddle to get One Pedal driving ;)
Or just have one huge pedal fitted! 🤣

Ahh I see, so Miles works solely in a dealership. Do they franchise their dealerships ?
Yes MG dealerships in the UK are franchises that run as independent businesses with MG branding. MGUK sells the cars to the dealers and they sell and support them for customers.

Some dealers are standalone, some are part of larger groups.

When you have a fault, there can be 4 different businesses involved:
  • Your local dealer/group
  • MG UK
  • MG/SAIC China
  • Your finance company (if applicable)

This is why getting a fast result is often a challenge.

It's all going to end in tears, adding complexity to an already struggling system before perfecting the existing software that is barely coping. 🙄

Yes MG dealerships in the UK are franchises that run as independent businesses with MG branding. MGUK sells the cars to the dealers and they sell and support them for customers.

Some dealers are standalone, some are part of larger groups.

When you have a fault, there can be 4 different businesses involved:
  • Your local dealer/group
  • MG UK
  • MG/SAIC China
  • Your finance company (if applicable)

This is why getting a fast result is often a challenge.
Jeez... finance companies aside, I see this is now an even greater challenge. However, I can still clearly see how this needs to be 'joined up' so to speak. I think having just come from years as a Global Operational Services Manager ensuring teams across the globe support and maintain warehouse robotics along with providing a service standard to warehouse operations is swaying my view.
This is a franchised car dealership, but obviously under the MG brand, if not managed carefully it can (and as it seems it is) lead to dealerships going 'local' and varying standards across the board. Could certainly be in a better place considering the experiences we have all had.

Nil, because not everybody wants it.
If it does come out as an upgrade it will most likely be one they charge you for as it's an improvement not a necessity.

Nil, because not everybody wants it.
If it does come out as an upgrade it will most likely be one they charge you for as it's an improvement not a necessity.
I think they should invite existing owners to upgrade, if it becomes available. That way you can choose whether or not to upgrade. I think if updates can be retro fitted to the previous models, they should be.

I’d possibly pay for it, however I’d not be willing to pay that much for it, certainly not for a 20 minute piece of work which I reckon it probably is.

There’s already some annoyance with MG and their dealers not making existing upgrades available, so they’d really be irritating existing owners to hold this back, further crushing their reputation with existing owners and potentially effecting later sales to those owners.

When implemented it'll likely just be an extra option for off or on.

Provided it's only a software change it comes down to whether MG want to be more like Tesla, constantly improving existing cars, or every other car manufacturer.

It would be nice if they could offer an hear pump as an upgrade for those that don't have one, as this isn't something that could be added as a software update.

EDIT: Heat pump* :D

Last edited:
For MG to consider implementing one pedal driving, they would have see that there is significant demand for it and it would also be a feature that would potentially enhance sales to a degree.
So considering the current state of affairs and the fact they have not implemented this from the outset, I say the chances are close to zero right now.

I just want a way to toggle LKA on/off with a single button press ... that's the main update I'm looking for. (e.g. I don't think the left joystick press is assigned to anything as yet).

Other options (such as repurposing the volume buttons to cycle through drive modes and regen) would be nice but are not critical.

I think they could massively improve user experience by changing focus in their infotainment software teams, and engaging users for some studies to improve:

a) Usability
b) Discoverability
c) Responsiveness
d) Engrish translation goofs
e) Well known bugs

OK thats interesting.
MG will keep or lose me as a customer on this next round. Current Trophy is good overall yet the lack of updates/fixes/comms is a major worry.

Next wave (v2.0 if you will) could add what I really miss and think the car needs to remain competitive with others:
Heat pump
One-pedal mode (make it a on screen toggle switch, remember last set)
Audio upgrade option

Yet software fixes should be all new and existing cars:
  • No preheat when charging idle
  • Steering wheel shortcuts should match on all trims and include LKA off
  • Stability of infotainment/Bluetooth
  • Nav doesn’t plot chargers ‘en-route’
  • Improve efficiency calculation
  • Preheat/charge scheduling fixes

Significant user-visible changes on an "appliance" are tricky to roll out. Some users like improvements. Some users just don't like change, even if another person thinks it's obviously a change for the better.

People are happier if it's obviously an addition rather than a change. Adding en-route chargers to the satnav would be in this category.

I'd like the radio channel display to be changed, so the station name is big and bold. But I think that would be in the category of irritating some users who have got used to it how it is. Better handling of radio station favourites is in the same category (but I'd really love it to improve).

Letting more than one account log onto iSmart would be a huge improvement for me (or even just letting two devices stay logged onto the same account).

... and sorting out the APIs so that smart charging is as smart as it can be.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back