Motability supplied home charger

It would be great to hear from people that have a charger used in a "manual" connection to their solar system as I am considering one myself.

Lots of people do this for a variety of different reasons.
Some charge point such as the Easee One allow you to manually set a charging level. Clearly if that's more than the net power being produced by your solar less the other consumption you'll be importing from the grid. But you'll benefit from knowing in advance how much charge you'll have at the end of the session, and your car will not go to sleep which can happen if you have set a solar enabled charger set to avoid import from the mains and your solar production drops say due to clouds passing through. A number of people achieve this on the cheap by using their granny charger but in the most cases that only offers one setting of 2.3kW.

I have the Easee charger, no car arrived to charge yet to charge it. Awaiting solar and battery install , i have turned to home assistant as there is an easee intergration and hopefully I will be able to do an automation that monitors excess solar and starts a charge with the easee

Lots of people do this for a variety of different reasons.
Some charge point such as the Easee One allow you to manually set a charging level. Clearly if that's more than the net power being produced by your solar less the other consumption you'll be importing from the grid. But you'll benefit from knowing in advance how much charge you'll have at the end of the session, and your car will not go to sleep which can happen if you have set a solar enabled charger set to avoid import from the mains and your solar production drops say due to clouds passing through. A number of people achieve this on the cheap by using their granny charger but in the most cases that only offers one setting of 2.3kW.
As usual, thanks for your continued replies. You have helped me through my journey into EVs and associated charging equipment.

I have ordered a MG ZS EV through Motability and they are include a free home charging power point.

Do any of you have had any of these fitted?

What are the choices of different types/brands offered?

Can any of them be used with a solar panel installation? I am considering having a solar system installed.
I have a tethered BP pulse. When it was installed I asked if it will work off solar panel in the day. He said no as it was installed to bypass it. But you can use the charger supplied with the car and plug into a normal wall socket which I do in the daytime to use off my solar panels. I had an outside plug installed so I didn't need to plug in through an open window. It does take longer to charge but if I'm home in the day I always charge with this connector.

I have the Easee charger, no car arrived to charge yet to charge it. Awaiting solar and battery install , i have turned to home assistant as there is an easee intergration and hopefully I will be able to do an automation that monitors excess solar and starts a charge with the easee
What is Home assistant?

I have a tethered BP pulse. When it was installed I asked if it will work off solar panel in the day. He said no as it was installed to bypass it. But you can use the charger supplied with the car and plug into a normal wall socket which I do in the daytime to use off my solar panels. I had an outside plug installed so I didn't need to plug in through an open window. It does take longer to charge but if I'm home in the day I always charge with this connector.
Oh, I didn't realize that the cable supplied with the car will have a normal plug on one end. I assumed it would be Type 2 on both ends.

Home assistant is open source home automation Home assistant. Can be installed on various devices. It's a basic way to get various smart devices to all play nice with each other. BTW the easee motability charger will be supplied with a 7.5m type 2 charging lead

Oh, I didn't realize that the cable supplied with the car will have a normal plug on one end. I assumed it would be Type 2 on both ends.
There are two different cables that can be supplied:
  1. Type 2 to Type 2 for AC charging away from home.
  2. Granny lead for "emergency" charging from a 3 pin socket
Check with your dealer as to which you are going to get.

If it's motability it should be both
granny charger as standard and type 2 lead as your a Motability customer

We recently had our main cut out fuse upgraded by our local DNO from 60 to 100 Amps.
Prior to this upgrade, we have charged using a dumb 7 Kw Rolec unit ( yeah I know 👎 ) installed in 2015.
We charged our VW PHEV ( 3.5 kw’s ) most nights on a cheap rate Off Peak tariff.
We did this without any problems for about four years.
Then we went full EV with the first Gen ZS EV.
Off Peak still on the 60 Amp fuse.
Except for the crap internals of the Rolec everything was fine.
Then we upgraded to the LR ZS EV with larger pack.
This happened just about the time when energy prices where going through the ceiling.
Naturally, we wanted to slide as much of our usage as possible, onto our 5 hour window of cheaper 4.5p / Kw Off Peak.
Quick bit of “Man Maths” told us that our 60 Amp rating could be compromised by the extra demands placed on it, hence the request fuse upgrade.
The dumb wall box does not have load balancing of course and to be honest, this was not going to very practical if it had !.
Running other high load electrical items, would have resulted in the wall box throttling back to protect the fuse ( which is the whole idea ) but then you could coming up short, on receiving a longer charge cycle at the cheaper rate.
Even if you are on a standard tariff, which means the cost to charge is the same, regardless of the time of day.
You can be restricted on the amount of items you are running at the same time.
E.G. - You arrive home from work and instantly put the car on charge ( 7 Kw’s ) you then put on the kettle ( 2.5 Kw’s ) and then decide to take a quick shower 🚿 ( which is an electric unit pulling another 11 Kw’s ).
You are already over the limit on that 60 Amp protection fuse, before you even consider turning on the washing machine ( 2.5 Kw’s ) and the electric oven ( 3.0 Kw’s ) etc etc.
Houses of a certain age ( ours was built in 1982 ) it was normal practice to install a 60 Amp protection fuse.
This was more than enough to satisfy the demands back then !.
Today, this is a completely different story.
Having an EV and a cheaper Off Peak tariff helps everybody, including the national grid.
Sliding your usage into that Off Peak window is a good way of keeping your costs down.
But you do have to consider how much load you intend to pass through that fuse !.
It is surprising just how quickly you can creep up on that smaller rating !.
Yes - The fail rate on a 60 Amp fuse will be higher than 60 Amps rated on the fuse of course, but pushing it hard on a continual basis is not advisable to be honest.
The game has changed a lot now, from back in 2015 when we first started on our electric journey.
Load demand safety and huge increase in energy costs are the primary reason for our request to upgrade our protection fuse.
There is reported to be another 50% ( ish ) energy price increase due in Oct / Nov 2022.
Sliding your usage has never been so important if you are on a time of day ( Off Peak ) tariff.
My DNO said that they had seen a huge increase in the request for fuse upgrades in the last few months.
I think we all understand why !.

We recently had our main cut out fuse upgraded by our local DNO from 60 to 100 Amps.
Prior to this upgrade, we have charged using a dumb 7 Kw Rolec unit ( yeah I know 👎 ) installed in 2015.
We charged our VW PHEV ( 3.5 kw’s ) most nights on a cheap rate Off Peak tariff.
We did this without any problems for about four years.
Then we went full EV with the first Gen ZS EV.
Off Peak still on the 60 Amp fuse.
Except for the crap internals of the Rolec everything was fine.
Then we upgraded to the LR ZS EV with larger pack.
This happened just about the time when energy prices where going through the ceiling.
Naturally, we wanted to slide as much of our usage as possible, onto our 5 hour window of cheaper 4.5p / Kw Off Peak.
Quick bit of “Man Maths” told us that our 60 Amp rating could be compromised by the extra demands placed on it, hence the request fuse upgrade.
The dumb wall box does not have load balancing of course and to be honest, this was not going to very practical if it had !.
Running other high load electrical items, would have resulted in the wall box throttling back to protect the fuse ( which is the whole idea ) but then you could coming up short, on receiving a longer charge cycle at the cheaper rate.
Even if you are on a standard tariff, which means the cost to charge is the same, regardless of the time of day.
You can be restricted on the amount of items you are running at the same time.
E.G. - You arrive home from work and instantly put the car on charge ( 7 Kw’s ) you then put on the kettle ( 2.5 Kw’s ) and then decide to take a quick shower 🚿 ( which is an electric unit pulling another 11 Kw’s ).
You are already over the limit on that 60 Amp protection fuse, before you even consider turning on the washing machine ( 2.5 Kw’s ) and the electric oven ( 3.0 Kw’s ) etc etc.
Houses of a certain age ( ours was built in 1982 ) it was normal practice to install a 60 Amp protection fuse.
This was more than enough to satisfy the demands back then !.
Today, this is a completely different story.
Having an EV and a cheaper Off Peak tariff helps everybody, including the national grid.
Sliding your usage into that Off Peak window is a good way of keeping your costs down.
But you do have to consider how much load you intend to pass through that fuse !.
It is surprising just how quickly you can creep up on that smaller rating !.
Yes - The fail rate on a 60 Amp fuse will be higher than 60 Amps rated on the fuse of course, but pushing it hard on a continual basis is not advisable to be honest.
The game has changed a lot now, from back in 2015 when we first started on our electric journey.
Load demand safety and huge increase in energy costs are the primary reason for our request to upgrade our protection fuse.
There is reported to be another 50% ( ish ) energy price increase due in Oct / Nov 2022.
Sliding your usage has never been so important if you are on a time of day ( Off Peak ) tariff.
My DNO said that they had seen a huge increase in the request for fuse upgrades in the last few months.
I think we all understand why !.
In May I hadn't old meters changed to smart ones and I noticed that the fuse has also been changed to 100A
That should be ok now, when I receive the car. Getting quotes for a Solar System... Some people say it's worth having others say it's not.
I want to be able to save some money on this crazy fuel costs! Who knows what we will be charged in 10-15 years from now!

In May I hadn't old meters changed to smart ones and I noticed that the fuse has also been changed to 100A
That should be ok now, when I receive the car. Getting quotes for a Solar System... Some people say it's worth having others say it's not.
I want to be able to save some money on this crazy fuel costs! Who knows what we will be charged in 10-15 years from now!
Solar and a home storage battery 🔋 !.

How much of your usage can/will you shift to off-peak, and how much is outside of 9:00-15:00? It's only worth trying to cover the remainder with battery storage.

If it's motability it should be both
granny charger as standard and type 2 lead as your a Motability customer
Just spoke to Motability and I was told you are only entitled to the granny charger that came with the car. I have to purchase my own Type 2 to Type 2 charger direct from the dealership.

Just spoke to Motability and I was told you are only entitled to the granny charger that came with the car. I have to purchase my own Type 2 to Type 2 charger direct from the dealership.
Some dealerships are offering a free Type 2 lead as a gift, but not all !.
Chorley Group where offering a £500 discount plus a free type 2 cable, and a set of floor mats to their customers from this forum, only back in March of this year ( 2022 ).

I would ask your dealer about it, when I spoke to Motability they said the same but when I asked my dealer Richard Hardie if I would get a Type 2 cable as well as Granny they said yes it was included.

Just phoned the dealership to see what could be done. Apparently my new Type 2 to Type 2 charger has just come in, it's been on order, & wasn't available when I collected the car! I was told but must've missed that, TMI on the day.

Just phoned the dealership to see what could be done. Apparently my new Type 2 to Type 2 charger has just come in, it's been on order, & wasn't available when I collected the car! I was told but must've missed that, TMI on the day.
So you are getting your free type 2 cable then?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom