• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Motability supplied home charger

Looks good. The service head fuse seal has been cut, so if the installer hasn't done so it's worth getting the DNO to come around and fit one. Alternatively, ask your electricity supplier for the cost of an upgrade from 60A and the price for an isolator switch.
As you said seal cut and not replaced 60 amp fuse I can't see a CT clamp for load management no isolation switch and tails look to be 16mm not 25mm something is not right here

It's possible that no CT clamp is required even on a 60A fuse - assuming that there are no other significant electrical loads - but it is unusual. @wedding1944 - do you have other big loads like an electric oven. electric shower or immersion heater?
Again the tails are "adequate" for the 60A fuse and not something that the charge point installer should be changing - that is down to the electricity provider to do although you'd expect the installer to arrange it.

CT (current transducer) clamps measure current in a wire, and in this context are used by the charge point to ensure that the total current flowing into the property (and the car) don't exceed a particular limit - in this case the fuse rating. With the car potentially pulling 32A itself there's not a lot of headroom for the rest of the house, particularly if the OP has an immersion heater (13A), electric oven (16A) and an electric shower (another 20A+) it could all go horribly wrong.

I'm not disagreeing, but beware both the purpose of the fuse and the network capacity. A typical house is assigned at most 15kW and often less than that (13.5kW is standard, many are less) in terms of supply. Generally this is down to restrictions at the local transformer. In terms of current that's around 70A to 60A or less respectively.
The purpose of the fuse is to protect the wiring in the event of a major issue - say the terminals of the meter being bridged. They are only designed to blow quickly in the event of a grossly excess current - say 5 times their rating. They would survive at twice their rating for many hours before blowing.
So what does that mean for the OP? If they go slightly over the by taking a quick shower or cooking Sunday lunch while the car is charging it will probably all be OK. But it is not good practice and one day the local transformer may cease working causing all sorts of issues. Best to get it sorted now.

CT (current transducer)
Current Transformer

On the subject of local transformer loading, there is a website you can go to which will tell you in broad terms how much spare capacity there is on the transformer feeding your property.

Current Transformer

On the subject of local transformer loading, there is a website you can go to which will tell you in broad terms how much spare capacity there is on the transformer feeding your property.
Any danger of a link please?

Current Transformer
/Nerd mode on/ The terms are interchangeable - the transformer is part of the transducer. ;) :rolleyes:
/Nerd mode off/

But the point remains that the idea is to measure the current, and as we cannot see the clamp the suspicion is that it's not present which is unusual for a 7kW charge point on a 60A fuse. No doubt there's a simple explanation.

/Nerd mode on/ The terms are interchangeable - the transformer is part of the transducer. ;) :rolleyes:
/Nerd mode off/

But the point remains that the idea is to measure the current, and as we cannot see the clamp the suspicion is that it's not present which is unusual for a 7kW charge point on a 60A fuse. No doubt there's a simple explanation.
The only thing I can think of is charger is set to 16amp so 3kw ish

Btw those of you with solar with ohme if you have the load sensing switched on if you remove ct or disconnect one of the cables to it the charger defaults to 3kw until its put back in place

Don't think any of the Motability installers do solar integrated chargers. They use OHME, Podpoint, BP Pulse and Easee. They sent OHME to do my install but said I didn't want it because I wanted untethered and they only do tethered, thus they contacted me and I said what I needed and arranged with Easee instead. Currently awaiting installation but pleased it's an Easee One because it comes untethered but with a cable that you can lock in to make it tethered or remove to keep in car or in the house.
Why would you want untethered at home?

Personal choice, but also the OHME tethered one came with a 5m cable and the Easee one comes with 7.5m which I need to connect to car. Also like the idea of having both options, being able to make it untethered or tethered by locking cable in. Plus if you don't get a free Type 2 cable with your car you have one with this.

For me, I like the flexibility of the Easee One. Having it untethered, it looks neater in the front of the house. I won't be charging often. It will also avoid someone cutting and stealing the cable for its copper.

Not sure, but I think there is no power to the cable untill the handshake with the car. Someone can tell me if my assumption is valid?

Sound crazy right but different strokes for different folks I watch a video last night of some getting a tethered unit fitted to replace there untethered unit as it wound them up having to keep getting the cable out to charge at home

I would have chosen a tethered one if the charger was installed inside the garage, there I see the point of it. Again that's me. Others will have their choice.

I have ordered a MG ZS EV through Motability and they are include a free home charging power point.

Do any of you have had any of these fitted?

What are the choices of different types/brands offered?

Can any of them be used with a solar panel installation? I am considering having a solar system installed.
Hi I have mg zs ev on mobility the only two choices I got was a ohme home pro charger or a bp pulse card that let you connect to the bp pulse network . The ojme home pro isn't connectable to solar panels .

Hi I have mg zs ev on mobility the only two choices I got was a ohme home pro charger or a bp pulse card that let you connect to the bp pulse network . The ojme home pro isn't connectable to solar panels .
The Easee One that I am having, it too has no Solar integration. The tech person from Easee said that it can still be used with solar, but it needs to be set manually with the system. Not entirely sure what "manually" really means. He also said that something is in the pipeline and it's likely that it will come in the form of a hardware to be fitted to the solar system.

It would be great to hear from people that have a charger used in a "manual" connection to their solar system as I am considering one myself.

I have ordered a MG ZS EV through Motability and they are include a free home charging power point.

Do any of you have had any of these fitted?

What are the choices of different types/brands offered?

Can any of them be used with a solar panel installation? I am considering having a solar system installed.
Mine is a BP Pulse

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom