• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

My misadventure with MG4 and its customer service

gsxr2001

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
This post is a bit of information and a bit of a personal outlet, since, after reading it, you can imagine how I feel, having bought a new car and almost having to stand still.

On October 24, 2022, I ordered an MG4 Luxury, which I picked up on February 9, 2023.

On May 18, I took the car to the same dealership for 2 software recalls (SC-47 and SC-49) and various other software-related issues (LKA, bluetooth connection, FM and DAB radio, black screen) as well as vibrations that could be felt (center display and right rear door). This dealership is quite large, with 6 locations throughout the region, and multiple branches in the same city!

Over the phone, I was told that I could drop off the car in the morning and pick it up in the evening. However, when I arrived there, the person at the reception, with incredible coldness, told me that his colleague had given me wrong information over the phone, and that software updates would take about 10 days!! After a heated discussion and considering that, according to them, MG does not provide a courtesy car for any kind of problem, they said they would try to complete the updates within the day.

After wandering around on foot for 8 hours (the dealership is 300 km away from home, round trip), they called me and asked me to come back to the dealership. I went there and they told me that they had issues with the updates, and now the display doesn't turn on anymore! So they have to contact MG and see how to resolve it, and if they need to physically replace the display!! But coincidentally, a petrol-powered Panda was just made available as a courtesy car.

The following week, I called for updates and they confirmed that they need to order a new display and have no idea how long it will take.

I also sent a couple of emails to MG Italy. They responded that they are putting pressure on the central warehouse to expedite the process, but no one can give me any timeframe, even an estimated one.

I asked the same dealership for a slightly larger courtesy car, considering that we have children and a baby stroller barely fits in the Panda, but according to them, they don't have any!

I have spent almost 40,000 euros to first have a car full of bugs and noises (not to mention missing navigation, voice commands, and voice guidance in Italian, despite being advertised as OTA-upgradable), and now to be left completely stranded without any idea of how long I will have to wait! Through an Italian group, I am aware of people who have been waiting for over 3 months for a simple headlight replacement (a basic spare part)!

Clearly a service centre that a) doesn't know what it's doing and b) doesn't know what lies it can get away with! A software update would never take ten days! A bit of motivation and mine was done if three hours.

Clearly a service centre that a) doesn't know what it's doing and b) doesn't know what lies it can get away with! A software update would never take ten days! A bit of motivation and mine was done if three hours.
Through Italian groups, I discovered, unfortunately only later, that there are numerous complaints about the assistance center in question. And I don't think the complaints didn't reach MG (I too reported via PEC). But MG takes no action

Yes, I'm looking into that. Thanks for the advice
The Italian legislation will be derived from this EU directive:

After wandering around on foot for 8 hours (the dealership is 300 km away from home, round trip), they called me and asked me to come back to the dealership. I went there and they told me that they had issues with the updates, and now the display doesn't turn on anymore!

This is what we in the UK would call 'Bricked' - meaning during the process of updating or upgrading, they've done something wrong and it's totally goosed the unit beyond restore. I remember doing it to a Playstation when I was a kid, I accidentally turned it off mid update and it fooked the whole thing. Nowadays modern technology has failsafes built into it to prevent catastrophic failure in this case. But it sounds like the Android Tablet that MG use for the Infotainment, does not have such a feature.

I'd be rejecting the vehicle under EU consumer law; not fit for purpose, not suitable for needs, not as described. At least begin the process. Fix it or Return it, they've had their chance at fixing..

It sounds like a combination of a dud car, and a hopeless dealer.

This is what we in the UK would call 'Bricked' - meaning during the process of updating or upgrading, they've done something wrong and it's totally goosed the unit beyond restore. I remember doing it to a Playstation when I was a kid, I accidentally turned it off mid update and it fooked the whole thing. Nowadays modern technology has failsafes built into it to prevent catastrophic failure in this case. But it sounds like the Android Tablet that MG use for the Infotainment, does not have such a feature.

I'd be rejecting the vehicle under EU consumer law; not fit for purpose, not suitable for needs, not as described. At least begin the process. Fix it or Return it, they've had their chance at fixing..

It sounds like a combination of a dud car, and a hopeless dealer.
It is absurd that there is no procedure to restore a bricked device!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back