My Solution for Rear Number Plate on MG5

Here is my take on the 'black bar' issue. Remove the bolts, in my case a star screwdriver no 30, not an Allen key. Lightly rub with fine wet and dry paper and clean off with white spirit. Spray two coats of plastic primer, I used an old rattle can I already had, followed by two coats of Westminster Silver and two coats of lacquer, not forgetting the bolt heads. The bar is still obvious, but visual appearance much improved.
Incidentally, because the fixing holes have a pronounced lip around them, the plate does not fit flush to the car. I thought of fixing a couple of sticky pads behind each lower corner to stop any rattling. Has anyone else tried this, or does it really matter?

Attachments

• IMG_0168.JPG
    IMG_0168.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 197
Yes, I went for the taller plate (see above) screwed in only by the existing holes, so I got some of the number plate tape to put along the lower edge to prevent rattles. But one side has come unstuck - I will re-do it sometime even though I don't notice any noise.

Following on from jgpev's solution I ordered a 520mm x 140mm rear plate from Proplates.
It would have fouled the badges quite badly, so I trimmed 6mm from the right hand side and re-radiused the corners (a 5p piece matched the existing for marking up). I've since replaced the bolts with yellow ones (and washed the car!!), but the result is below:View attachment 9099
I have done similar, it's larger than normal obviously but does not look wrong on the back of the car.

1660635907959.png

Followed a taxi this morning, they had just shifted the black bar to the top and it looked better that way around.

Followed a taxi this morning, they had just shifted the black bar to the top and it looked better that way around.
'sfunny that. I saw this today and was going to post it when I saw your post describing almost exactly the same. It's a member of#teamwhite, parked today beside Hardley Staithe in Norfolk.

IMG_20220904_220550.jpg

'sfunny that. I saw this today and was going to post it when I saw your post describing almost exactly the same. It's a member of#teamwhite, parked today beside Hardley Staithe in Norfolk.

View attachment 10726

As I saw it heading down the A12 towards M25, I'll hazard that its the same vehicle.

I quite disliked the black bar below the rear plate so following @jgpev's lead, I ordered only the rear plate from the same company, as per his spec above (i.e. deeper than a normal plate), except I included a red border with the car model, I just got round to fitting it and this is how it looks. I realise it's probably illegal as it's supposed to have teh suppliers name in. I didn't de-spec that, they just didn't include it!

I took off the old one and the black bar, which I've left in the boot in case the new one falls off (unlikely, but it's only on with number plate sticky tape stuff)

I'm quite pleased with it

View attachment 7872
A garage stuck a replacement on one of my cars, and in hot weather, it was hanging off, lucky I saw it before I lost it in the road.

I had a road legal bespoke made to measure number plate made which included a conformance certificate, it is a little wider than the std plate and with an additional lip on the bottom with wording of your choice below the border line ...(dimensions on pic 1) ... its just enough to cover the top/bottom holes without looking like a larger plate.. no drilling ...stuck back on with 2mm thick plate stickers...its not cheap but i think it was worth it. Car in Pic MG HS PHEV.

Attachments

• MG HS NuPlate.jpg
    MG HS NuPlate.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 109
  • MG Template.jpg
    MG Template.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 110
Will upload a photo later but just received mine today and it looks like they've 'fixed' this by clamping it in place... didn't remove the adhesive tape the first one was on with though...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom