New MG4 Trophy, feedback after 2 weeks

Wow... so it appears there are two websites with different contact details. Not sure if this is true for all franchised dealers

Franchised website:MG Weylands Newbury

MG Website Dealer Search (search Newbury): MG Weylands Newbury

MG Website: MG Weylands Newbury

All with different phone numbers and different to the number you were given Ian. Now what's that saying.... couldn't organise something or the other in a brewery ! :confused:🍻

Wow... so it appears there are two websites with different contact details. Not sure if this is true for all franchised dealers

Franchised website:MG Weylands Newbury

MG Website Dealer Search (search Newbury): MG Weylands Newbury

MG Website: MG Weylands Newbury

All with different phone numbers and different to the number you were given Ian. Now what's that saying.... couldn't organise something or the other in a brewery ! :confused:🍻
I've had similar problems MG Sandicliffe. One number is a general enquiries one and connects you to head office who then transfer you to sales at whichever site you request. Then there are two numbers for their sales sites and another for servicing but only for ICE Fords. But trying to get a number for servicing of MGs which is done at the dealership is impossible until they ring you.

Agree... upon pick of a car, speak to the service team for their direct number.
The sales lady I spoke with this morning said to me "I'll march over there now for you, you will 100% get a call back today"
And of course, no call back at all from MG today.
So tomorrow I will try the number you found for me Ian, plus the other numbers I found on the 'net' if needed.
If nothing positive, i will try an alternative dealer.
If no joy there, I will put my experiences in writing to MG Newbury
If no response from MG Newbury or nothing positive, the final straw will be to raise with the Motoring Ombudsmen as I view this as a breach of contract regarding the warranty. Both defects are definitely failures and others have had them repaired under warranty too.

Okay, an update on this debacle.
5-June:Called MG Newbury, spoke with the sales lady at 16:05. Gave her full details of the defects I have found (AC compressor noise and undertray warping) and she took notes I believe. She apologised for the defects and stated she would pass details onto the 'Service Department' who would log this and call me back to book the car in. Confirmed my contact details with her

6-June: I did not receive a call from the MG Newbury service department.

7-June: Spoke with the sales lady again via phone at 10:15. She said she would 'March over to them now, they will 100% call back today."

I did not receive a call from the MG Newbury service department.

8-June: Called the number provided in point four below. This resulted in the sales lady answering the call again who provided me with a new number (the fifth number) for the service department.
at 09:30 and at 09:40 I called this number but no answer. I left a voice message to call me back on my number.
Called again at 10:15, but again no answer. went to voicemail
Called again at 13:10, but again no answer.. went to voicemail

So I have found no less than five different phone numbers for MG Weylands Newbury.
1. A number on the franchise (Weylands) website (just one number listed)
2. A number given to an MG forum member obtained from an MG 'chat bot'
3. A number on the search box from the MG Dealership site
4. A number on the website loaded from the search box above
5. A number provided by the sales lady on the 8th June

I appreciate the support of the poor sales lady being put in the front line by MG Weylands Newbury

I have sent an email of events to them so that I have it all in wrting

I provided information that the two defects I have listed above (AC compressor & under tray) have been resolved under warranty by MG dealers. So this in itself indicates the defects have been accepted as failures by MG under warranty.

So called MG Richmond in Southampton. Far more professional in their approach. but.... can't see my car until the 21st August !!

Raised contact request with MG directly regarding the above

I'll update my dealer review on this site when this is done, but thought i'd keep you in the loop as asked.

Last edited:
Okay, an update on this debacle.
5-June:Called MG Newbury, spoke with the sales lady at 16:05. Gave her full details of the defects I have found (AC compressor noise and undertray warping) and she took notes I believe. She apologised for the defects and stated she would pass details onto the 'Service Department' who would log this and call me back to book the car in. Confirmed my contact details with her

6-June: I did not receive a call from the MG Newbury service department.

7-June: Spoke with the sales lady again via phone at 10:15. She said she would 'March over to them now, they will 100% call back today."

I did not receive a call from the MG Newbury service department.

8-June: Called the number provided in point four below. This resulted in the sales lady answering the call again who provided me with a new number (the fifth number) for the service department.
at 09:30 and at 09:40 I called this number but no answer. I left a voice message to call me back on my number.
Called again at 10:15, but again no answer. went to voicemail
Called again at 13:10, but again no answer.. went to voicemail

So I have found no less than five different phone numbers for MG Weylands Newbury.
1. A number on the franchise (Weylands) website (just one number listed)
2. A number given to an MG forum member obtained from an MG 'chat bot'
3. A number on the search box from the MG Dealership site
4. A number on the website loaded from the search box above
5. A number provided by the sales lady on the 8th June

I appreciate the support of the poor sales lady being put in the front line by MG Weylands Newbury

I have sent an email of events to them so that I have it all in writin.

I provided information that the two defects I have listed above (AC compressor & under tray) have been resolved under warranty by MG dealers. So this in itself indicates the defects have been accepted as failures by MG under warranty.

So called MG Richmond in Southampton. Far more professional in their approach. but.... can't see my car until the 21st August !!

Raised contact request with MG directly regarding the above

I'll update my dealer review on this site when this is done, but thought i'd keep you in the loop as asked.
Thanks and please do

Lo & Behold !!!.... after my complaint email I received a phone call from MG Weylands Service department. I explained both defects to him (with potential fixes thanks to this forum) and he noted and accepted them. Car is now booked in on the 5th July.
It's such a shame that lack of attention to operational structure can lead to such ill feeling with customers and staff, However...painful progress !

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back