New MY23 Changes (wheels/roof/one pedal driving/rear centre headrest & new rear wiper!)

Maybe the Bridgestone tyres are better quality than the 17" continental tyres. I get slight vibration at the back for like 5 minutes every trip, then it goes away, maybe because the 17" get a flat spot for a short while after being parked up. 🤔

This is really crappy from MG IMO.
The car was only available from, when, August last year, at the earliest?
And they’re coming out with a pretty major update where one of the new items is basically admitting they cocked up (the rear wash wipe) already?
Doesn’t matter if you say you don’t miss the wash wipe, it will be perceived as an admission of error.
This is going to annoy owners no end.
Your car is already outdated and not even a year old.
Poor, MG, really poor.

This is really crappy from MG IMO.
The car was only available from, when, August last year, at the earliest?
And they’re coming out with a pretty major update where one of the new items is basically admitting they cocked up (the rear wash wipe) already?
Doesn’t matter if you say you don’t miss the wash wipe, it will be perceived as an admission of error.
This is going to annoy owners no end.
Your car is already outdated and not even a year old.
Poor, MG, really poor.
For me the annoying part is had the car 3 weeks on Tuesday never knew about phase 2 or I would have waited … should have done my research but I would have never thought a car would be obsolete in less than 12 months. Its the no more software update that’s bugs me

Last edited:
For me the annoying part is if had the car 3 weeks on Tuesday never knew about phase to or I would have waited … should have done my research but I would have never thought a car would be obsolete in less than 12 months. Its the no more software update that’s bugs me

Your car has already lost £££ and sales appeal then. 😔 😡
Anyone seeing a 2023 MG will automatically look to see if it’s the ‘mark 2’ and will be drawn to that.
Really really crappy from MG, they don’t give a toss.

Your car has already lost £££ and sales appeal then. 😔 😡
Anyone seeing a 2023 MG will automatically look to see if it’s the ‘mark 2’ and will be drawn to that.
Really really crappy from MG, they don’t give a toss.
When my PCP is up I’ll just get a Tesla

Yup, as with other car manufacturers they at least leave it a couple of years before changing ‘hardware’.
Even then, in the case of the M3, it’s only really l the colour of the door handles that tells you if it’s a MK2 instead of a MK1.

With the MG4 people are just going to refer to existing ones as the ‘pre wash wipe mistake’ version, and only a few bloody months old!!!!

Yup, as with other car manufacturers they at least leave it a couple of years before changing ‘hardware’.
Even then, in the case of the M3, it’s only really l the colour of the door handles that tells you if it’s a MK2 instead of a MK1.

With the MG4 people are just going to refer to existing ones as the ‘pre wash wipe mistake’ version, and only a few bloody months old!!!!
And the MK1 M3 is still be supported with software updates improving the car. A M3 in 2019 has evolved into a different car. MG is a budget Z list brand it’s cheap for a reason, buy cheap buy twice

Yeah I'm thinking 2 3 year stints of EVs through my salary sacrifice scheme and hoping the new battery technology would be filtering through by then offering up to 400+ real world range at real world prices. The amount of competition by then should be wider with greater variety,and who knows, maybe the infrastructure will finally be getting up to standard. I'll be pretty excited to see what's available just on my next time of choosing a car in 3 years although given how long it's taking to get my mg4 I'll maybe have to invent a time machine and put my order in last week!

I can see how you guys are thinking about this, but..... IMHO this is the addition of a rear wash wiper and headrest that will be next to useless anyway and people will likely remove / not use. It's not a design change, there is no body styling change.
The other change to the new cars is the deletion of a black roof, which I really like as i'm sure many do.

All in all. it's a change that if I had it on mine, i'd undo (remove the centre headrest), not use the wiper and would be dissapointed with no black roof, then look at a wrap for it.

Whilst I am most certainly not the biggest fan of MG as a company by a long shot (as you say Bowfer, "they don't give a toss", about customers it appears), as long we all obtain the latest software updates etc I don't believe this change has a major negative impact on existing owners.

I'm sure SAIC think they're doing the right thing for their future customers, but yes, this clearly wouldn't sit well with people acquiring the "early" MG4s, although from posts above it seems that people aren't that bothered about some of the additions. Great idea to try and listen to and act on feedback/suggestions, but surely after at least a year and then ensure you get the majority of things on the list or focus on getting the software updates correct & out to existing customers.

I can see how you guys are thinking about this, but..... IMHO this is the addition of a rear wash wiper and headrest that will be next to useless anyway and people will likely remove / not use. It's not a design change, there is no body styling change.
The other change to the new cars is the deletion of a black roof, which I really like as i'm sure many do.

All in all. it's a change that if I had it on mine, i'd undo (remove the centre headrest), not use the wiper and would be dissapointed with no black roof, then look at a wrap for it.

Whilst I am most certainly not the biggest fan of MG as a company by a long shot (as you say Bowfer, "they don't give a toss", about customers it appears), as long we all obtain the latest software updates etc I don't believe this change has a major negative impact on existing owners.

I’m the same, rear wiper next to useless as it’s so small, third centre headrest will block any view and I have two kids both an ISA fix, so unless you have an ass like a supermodel you’re not fitting in there (my wife is no supermodel) and the car I have is an SE so it only had a body called roof. My gripe is the software from everything I read there will be no more for the phase 1 cars. Essentially dead to MG

I agree with most of what you're saying, I do think the 18 inch rims fill the arches a bit better, but prefer the 17 inch covers.
Headrest is of no consequence.
Rear washer I would have,just for one reason, when you jump in the car and it's tipping down and the first manoeuvre you do is reversing, no amount of rain X will clear your glass like a wiper does.
I never had a rear wiper on my Arteon and above 40-50 mph you didn't need it, aerodynamics took care of it, on the occasions your first manoeuvre is to reverse it was missed.
I have a tiny blade on my Megane bit it does the job when reversing

The big things for me are the future updates and one pedal driving if they are only available (needs confirming) on the phase 2 cars then that is out of order so soon after launch.

I’m the same, rear wiper next to useless as it’s so small, third centre headrest will block any view and I have two kids both an ISA fix, so unless you have an ass like a supermodel you’re not fitting in there (my wife is no supermodel) and the car I have is an SE so it only had a body called roof. My gripe is the software from everything I read there will be no more for the phase 1 cars. Essentially dead to MG
Future Software updates should be applicable to all models, one pedal driving for instance is not reliant on additional hardware as far as I am aware. So right now, I live in hope.
But... if it does transpire that they abandon the initial batch of cars without a rear wiper... i'll cut my losses, join Leni16 and pursue a Renault e-Tech

Future Software updates should be applicable to all models, one pedal driving for instance is not reliant on additional hardware as far as I am aware. So right now, I live in hope.
But... if it does transpire that they abandon the initial batch of cars without a rear wiper... i'll cut my losses, join Leni16 and pursue a Renault e-Tech

As an aside, a friend of ours wanted an EV and I tried everything I could to steer her towards a Megane.
It was purely for selfish reasons, as I really didn’t want the blame if she went for a Born and got a bad one.
Not that I’ve had any problematic inklings from mine at all, just paranoia about being asked to recommend stuff.
She’s gone for the Born anyway.
The bloody nice demo one they wouldn’t (couldn’t) sell me three months ago…
😖

While I agree the addition of a headrest, rear wipers etc. has possibly devalued the first edition of the MG4 but at least they didn't knock nearly £5500 off the price of a new one. I'd have been really miffed if I had just bought a Model 3, new or used, when Tesla reduced their prices.

While I agree the addition of a headrest, rear wipers etc. has possibly devalued the first edition of the MG4 but at least they didn't knock nearly £5500 off the price of a new one. I'd have been really miffed if I had just bought a Model 3, new or used, when Tesla reduced their prices.
This is true but the draw back off buying any new car on release is a lack of real discount.
I got £1000 of my car but there is now considerably more available, likewise you can get £3000 of a Trophy now using the affinity discount.
It's just a decision you need to make!

In Tesla's case it was a sore one because it wasn't a new car and had been going up in price.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back