Not charging & charger not unlocking

As a matter of interest does the app show it raised during hv charging?
It shouldn't do as the 12v battery is only charged when the car is powered-on / moving, apparently they don't charge up when you are charging the HV system - so just like an ICE if you do lots of short journies, the 12v system doesn't get time to recharge, hence those mini jump starter booster packs are still a good idea to have readily available, apparently - touch wood no issues todate though.

It shouldn't do as the 12v battery is only charged when the car is powered-on / moving, apparently they don't charge up when you are charging the HV system - so just like an ICE if you do lots of short journies, the 12v system doesn't get time to recharge, hence those mini jump starter booster packs are still a good idea to have readily available, apparently - touch wood no issues todate though.
I am certain that the 12v is also charged when charging the HV battery. Mine always reads close to or just over 14v when charging, and 12.3 to 12.5 when not charging.

Answer...it has to be. Think about the drain, albeit not huge, on the 12v with bms, relays etc.all in action when the car is being charged for any length of time. So it is designed in to charge the12v during HV charging..check it...my last two ev's both did it and so does my current ev

As shown above #18 check the app when hv charging and it should show 14.4 ish on the 12v battery

The question I asked was not does it do it but does the app show it, apologies

Last edited:
Answer...it has to be. Think about the drain, albeit not huge, on the 12v with bms, relays etc.all in action when the car is being charged for any length of time. So it is designed in to charge the12v during HV charging..check it...my last two ev's both did it and so does my current ev

As shown above #18 check the app when hv charging and it should show 14.4 ish on the 12v battery

The question I asked was not does it do it but does the app show it, apologies
Yes it does.

I am certain that the 12v is also charged when charging the HV battery. Mine always reads close to or just over 14v when charging, and 12.3 to 12.5 when not charging.
Thats good to know - I'm no expert, but was told that it doesnt charge when the HV system is charging. Thanks for elucidating

Unless it's at a low SoC as we already know the system will sacrifice the LV battery to protect the HV battery

So any activity on the hv that involves bms, relays etc. also invokes 12v charging irrespective of charging or discharging...good to know
Has anyone any knowledge of any OBD scanners that will give the state of battery statistics - I've got a nexus nextlink / eZS, and although it gives some very basic outputs (e.g. battery voltage, mileage on the MG4) - it doesn't really work for anythings else so far

Has anyone any knowledge of any OBD scanners that will give the state of battery statistics - I've got a nexus nextlink / eZS, and although it gives some very basic outputs (e.g. battery voltage, mileage on the MG4) - it doesn't really work for anythings else so far
As far as I know no one has managed to decode the PIDs specific to the MG4 it uses different ones to the the ZS EV MK2, marvel R and MG5

As far as I know no one has managed to decode the PIDs specific to the MG4 it uses different ones to the the ZS EV MK2, marvel R and MG5
Its a bit of a shame this - I've only had VAG cars for the past 15 years (until the MG4), but the support network was so helpful from VAG group services, in that I've still got full Geko/ ODIS / SecureID access

So after 4 months of reasonably happy driving with the MG4, what I feared might happen has happened.

Went into my garage this morning, it hadn’t charged overnight and the cable was stuck locked in the charging port. None of the usual lights round the charger like the car wasn’t recognising it.

Had to emergency release the cable and drive to work. Showed fault with 12v battery pinging at me every few seconds. Now I have just enough miles of charge left to take it to the garage so I’ll have to phone tomorrow.

Nightmare 🤦🏻‍♂️

So after 4 months of reasonably happy driving with the MG4, what I feared might happen has happened.

Went into my garage this morning, it hadn’t charged overnight and the cable was stuck locked in the charging port. None of the usual lights round the charger like the car wasn’t recognising it.

Had to emergency release the cable and drive to work. Showed fault with 12v battery pinging at me every few seconds. Now I have just enough miles of charge left to take it to the garage so I’ll have to phone tomorrow.

Nightmare 🤦🏻‍♂️
Hi please can you tell me how you emergency released the cable , my mg4 is stuck on the granny charger (usually just unlocks when I unlock the car ) I have tried everything else and it will not release the charger from the car at all
Thank you

@becca83 welcome, are you having as issue with your MG4?

Hi please can you tell me how you emergency released the cable , my mg4 is stuck on the granny charger (usually just unlocks when I unlock the car ) I have tried everything else and it will not release the charger from the car at all
Thank you
Looks like we posted at the same time.
Try locking and unlocking a few times, this has worked on my MG5 before.

Looks like we posted at the same time.
Try locking and unlocking a few times, this has worked on my MG5 before.
Thank you , yes I have tried this and every other thing I can think of , I’ve been trying for 2 hours now and it won’t unlock , is there an emergency release that you know of ?

Thank you , yes I have tried this and every other thing I can think of , I’ve been trying for 2 hours now and it won’t unlock , is there an emergency release that you know of ?
It's behind a panel in the boot side.
Look here:- MG4 Charging Cable Locked on & Now Awaiting A New Charge Port

Something else to try is the app. Tap on the battery, and then on the padlock below the percentage display. Enter your pin and the cable is supposed to unlock.

I can find it for the 5 and zs but not the 4.
Only thing is to ring garage or call the AA or MG assist.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back