Not how I thought today was going to pan out...

Finally home (it's a bit of a hike) and fed, so another update.

Shout out to the person on the phone at MG Assistance, sounds like they were having a mare of a day today. They managed to override the system, so no costs to me for the recovery. MG Linwood will be getting a call tomorrow. I have a service plan (so likely not payment related) but the vehicle was in the hands of MG when the service was initially due, and that was explained to them at the time. It's probably an oversight, but we'll see in the morn.

By the time the tow truck got there (about an hour or so) the 12V was so low, the hazards had stopped working.

Had a bit of a chat with the tech at Rutherglen. It's a well known car in there now 🤦‍♂️. As a few have already said, the thinking is the 12V system isn't charging the battery, so they'll be taking a look at that as the likely culprit. He also filled me in on what happened when it was in previously, and what little info MG gave him about what they did to it. Hv battery pack was removed, did some tests and some work on it...

As an aside...some peeps seem to be driving with their eyes shut. It failed on a motorway slip road, I had the hazards on, and the warning triangle out 100+ yards up the road, and people STILL nearly ran into the back of the car. Until the cops turned up, and then their brains just stopped working all together 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

That right there is the scary part and what interests me greatly !.
WHY did they remove it ( if they did ) and what did they actually do to the HV pack ?.
I would be extremely concerned at this point !.
Tested some cells & possibly changed some?
What else could they do?

I think the BMS is housed inside of the HV battery pack, so to gain access they need to remove the pack from the car.
I can only speak from my experience on our one of our VW PHEV models, when we requested to attend a allocated dealership in Manchester to have a VW recall.
Which involved having the HV pack REMOVED from the car and the case split to check for water ingress, on our 2015 VW Golf.
The dealership was visited by a team of EV Tech' trained to remove the battery and strip the case to check for water ingress and treat accordingly.
NOT your standard dealership function with the greatest of respect.
That is why I am questioning what has been done by this dealership.
I would expect the guys at Long Bridge will have the tools and knowledge to pull out a pack.
Normal dealer level ??????????.

I think the BMS is housed inside of the HV battery pack, so to gain access they need to remove the pack from the car.
I can only speak from my experience on our one of our VW PHEV models, when we requested to attend a allocated dealership in Manchester to have a VW recall.
Which involved having the HV pack REMOVED from the car and the case split to check for water ingress, on our 2015 VW Golf.
The dealership was visited by a team of EV Tech' trained to remove the battery and strip the case to check for water ingress and treat accordingly.
NOT your standard dealership function with the greatest of respect.
That is why I am questioning what has been done by this dealership.
I would expect the guys at Long Bridge will have the tools and knowledge to pull out a pack.
Normal dealer level ??????????.
He said it got sent away?

Fine but do you think that your local dealership has the trained personal and special tooling required to disconnect, remove and then discharge the HV battery necessary before transporting that battery ?.
Not my local dealer thats for sure !.
No "the car" got sent away didn't it?

On YouTube is an Australian guy stripping the battery I think the BMS was out side of the battery

I think the BMS is possible in this box unless it's the orange bit in battery
Screenshot_20230119-231133.png

My car went for service and first MOT on Tuesday. When I got it back I queried why there was no comment on renewal of AA. They said it was automatic when the car is serviced and the way to check is to ring the AA on number provided and ask. I have not done that yet....
MOT passed no comments. Mileage about 15000. They said the steering column u/j's are always checked as part of MOT.

Just off the phone to customer services. Was an oversight on the part of the service department and it's been updated. If memory serves, they were a bit harassed at the time but sorted now. Feel a bit bad now that someone got an arse chewing for it 🤦‍♂️

I believe Longbridge did indicate a duff cell was the issue, and that's when they transported the car down. The local techs at Rutherglen are ok to remove the pack to check for water ingress, which they did during the last breakdown. The tech was going to change what I'm guessing was in that orange box, but MG decided to work on the cells instead.

Just off the phone to customer services. Was an oversight on the part of the service department and it's been updated. If memory serves, they were a bit harassed at the time but sorted now. Feel a bit bad now that someone got an arse chewing for it 🤦‍♂️

They'll be getting used to it, don't fret👍🏻
I believe Longbridge did indicate a duff cell was the issue, and that's when they transported the car down. The local techs at Rutherglen are ok to remove the pack to check for water ingress, which they did during the last breakdown. The tech was going to change what I'm guessing was in that orange box, but MG decided to work on the cells instead.
Hmmm 🤞🤞

Courtesy car was supposed to be organised before now. Woman from Arnold Clark phoned earlier to confirm the car was heading down south, and asked if I was happy with the hire car. She wasn't happy to hear there'd been zero contact from the hire company...That's authorised directly from MG, so someone somewhere has majorly dropped the ball. 🤦‍♂️

The never-ending saga continues...

Car is back, and seems to be running OK for now (not getting my hopes up).

The dealer has once again been told nothing about what MG did to it down at Longbridge, nor have I.

There was no hire car this time, and no contact from MG or the hire car company.

Email is being drafted to MG customer services. I want to know what's been done (I'm thinking more cells have been swapped out once again), why there was no hire car, and what they're going to do in the way of compensation.

Patience is seriously starting to wear thin now.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom