Not impressed how rusty this is about to become.

I have the same issue with the MG4 (15k miles) - and although I'm not happy - it is what it is - (rust all over the underside of the body

I bought mine mid Dec 22 and also have 15k miles on it now. Really only some surface rusting on the subframes and parts of the suspension that have a very thin coat of black paint from the factory, thick steel so no biggie .

When you say that all over the underside is rusty on yours, where do you mean ?

The driveshafts rust on the surface on every car that is used in norwegian winter. Lots of complaint on those on other brands as well. It won't be a problem, ever, in reality.

The upper part shows a place where probably snow and water reside over a longer amount of time. What does the strip do in that place on your nearly new car? That will probably make the area drain less. Area like that should be protected with suitable spray-on rustprevention. Like I stated, my car was done by MG themself, after it came to Norway, pre delivery to the dealer. Wasn't yours?

Impressed?
The driveshafts rust on the surface on every car that is used in norwegian winter. Lots of complaint on those on other brands as well. It won't be a problem, ever, in reality.

The upper part shows a place where probably snow and water reside over a longer amount of time. What does the strip do in that place on your nearly new car? That will probably make the area drain less. Area like that should be protected with suitable spray-on rustprevention. Like I stated, my car was done by MG themself, after it came to Norway, pre delivery to the dealer. Wasn't yours?
I dont know if my MG came with any protection.

The upper part is weird. Look at his picture which will provide you with a better look on where it is. It's pretty high up. I can't imagine water or something will get there? Also don't know whst the strip is for. Looks like two.

Attachments

• IMG_6693.png
    IMG_6693.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
We do not have snow that often like in Norway. But I did pay for an extra protection on the flat surfaces and the cavities. You never know..

Last edited:
Was this covered under the warranty? Also how old is your vehicle. Appreciate your feedback
It is preventive, so I ordered them to do it before delivery (12-2023). I asked the service lead what to do about the many caveats and suggested a treatment. He confirmed it would be a wise decision but I would have to pay for it myself. They did the whole bottom for €175.

I wonder if this an issue in countries that salt/grit the roads? And the vehicle manufacturer not prepared for this. Early Japanese cars in The UK in the early/mid 70s dissolved before your eyes. I now live in NZ where roads aren't gritted our two year old never garaged 25,000 km ZS remains rust free. As does our 2008 never garaged Nissan Micra. When I lived in UK i seemed to be forever buying exhaust sections too from Qwik fit or similar. 30 years living in NZ and I have only ever bought one exhaust. And that was for my motorcycle that I brought with me from The UK.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back