OBD Data

I think it depends which one you get. Some of them say "safe to leave plugged in" or words to that effect.
I'd not thought about draining the 12V battery (I think it'd take a very long time to do that) but more from a security perspective. If the dongle remains live. Anyone with a phone could connect to it and, if they knew what they were doing, unlock your car. Maybe start it and drive off.
As I understand it, the"safe" ones power down when the car is off so you can't connect to them if you're not sat in the drivers seat.

I leave mine plugged in all the time.

Abrp works great with live SoC data.

AJP

I think it depends which one you get. Some of them say "safe to leave plugged in" or words to that effect.
I'd not thought about draining the 12V battery (I think it'd take a very long time to do that) but more from a security perspective. If the dongle remains live. Anyone with a phone could connect to it and, if they knew what they were doing, unlock your car. Maybe start it and drive off.
As I understand it, the"safe" ones power down when the car is off so you can't connect to them if you're not sat in the drivers seat.

AJP
Very interesting, thanks for the info mate.

AJP
Can you share the OBD adapter, please? Or a link where we can buy it?

Are there any with a physical off switch on the dongle? That would be useful.
No just checked and no off switch. I tried to leave plugged in and after a few mins it triggered the alarm. It's no problem really as I only need to use it with ABRP on long road trips. Thanks for your help.

It's best to, as the OBD dongle will remain live and drain the 12V battery. (There's a permanent 12V pin at the OBD port).
I just found an interesting part in the manual (what I usually not read, but I was curious how detailed the instruction for certain tasks), which might put up an argument on this:
Intelligent charging.JPG

...so this is just as useless as most of the manual. No details regarding the "certain conditions" when the automatic charging is active... unless I missed something, or no other conditions apart from the noted one, but I doubt about it.
Anyway, as I read some complain about drained 12V battery, also there is a video on YT (1:50) where EVs been tested in very cold environment and the MG4 was pretty much defeated by the cold, I wouldn't rely on this part of the manual.

This is what ABRP say about "suitable" OBD dongles:

Learned something yesterday. Don't lock the car with the phone still in it and using an app connected to the OBD unit.

It triggers the alarm. That went down well at a service centre I was attempting (and failing) to buy a drink from. After four failed attempts to not have the alarm go berko, I gave up and drove away.

They were logged by the car and in the messages section of the MG iSmart app.

IMG_0515.jpeg

Learned something yesterday. Don't lock the car with the phone still in it and using an app connected to the OBD unit.

It triggers the alarm. That went down well at a service centre I was attempting (and failing) to buy a drink from. After four failed attempts to not have the alarm go berko, I gave up and drove away.

They were logged by the car and in the messages section of the MG iSmart app.

View attachment 21787
Thanks, I use my Vlink OBD with Car Scanner and ABRP and love the accuracy but hate the alarm issue. I will try disconnecting BT before locking. I also have a Carlinkit unit now so will be trying using that instead as it powers off when the car is locked.

You can tell it your preference for networks or specific chargers. It’s not perfect but it certainly is a better route planner

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back