OBD Data

You can tell it your preference for networks or specific chargers. It’s not perfect but it certainly is a better route planner
As it's name says ;))
In terms of chargers, I've made the same mistake at the very first trip I had, it took me to a shady neighborhood, where I rather did not stopped. Ever since I check the charger (online) before I enter to the next part of the trip, so this isn't an issue for me.
However I couldn't work out ( to be fair didn't try it hard) how to resume the trip after the charging stop. It seems to be when I finished charging that is the end, and I need to re-load the whole trip...
The other one, which is down to my OBD tool (Veepeak, I know I shouldn't use that) even when I connect it to the app, it fails to re-connect. OBD Link CX on the way, so I'm not sure whether it will be better or not. I have no alarm issue whatsoever, maybe this is the reason why Veepeak is listed as not recommended?
In the other hand, I'm getting used to the quick calculations, perhaps by the time I get the right tool, I don't even need it... It's a small country, with a very few charger...

You can tell it your preference for networks or specific chargers. It’s not perfect but it certainly is a better route planner
I have the filter set for specific networks.

The problem is ABRP can't tell me if the suggested charge station is cactus or working or super busy, so route planning is all well and good but without data on charge station status, it's doomed.

After four road trips I've now developed the habit of stopping to charge way earlier than I really should need to, mainly because I have zero confidence I'll be able to get a charge where the route planner suggests would be an optimal charge stop. The charger network is far too unreliable.

So what should be a one charge stop journey end up being two charge stops, or more.

The problem is ABRP can't tell me if the suggested charge station is cactus or working or super busy, so route planning is all well and good but without data on charge station status, it's doomed.

After four road trips I've now developed the habit of stopping to charge way earlier than I really should need to, mainly because I have zero confidence I'll be able to get a charge where the route planner suggests would be an optimal charge stop. The charger network is far too unreliable.

So what should be a one charge stop journey end up being two charge stops, or more.

You can get pretty good real-time status of the chargers you're interested in from ZapMap though. Yes it would be great if the two apps were integrated, and maybe some day, but for now if you use both you can plan more cleverly.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get pretty goof real-time status of the chargers you're interested in from ZapMap though.
Not in Australia.

The only indication of charger status is via:
  • PlugShare if someone happens to log in and report it (IOW a crapshoot),
  • else you have to search on each charger company's individual app to see charger status, if they report it.

I already have six charger network apps, and there are about another 10. It's a mess. Some tell you a bit more than others. e.g. one app (BP) just says "unavailable" but doesn't distinguish between whether it's just occupied or not working. That kind of matters.

Frankly you need a co-pilot to be sorting this nonsense out while you drive. I was hoping ABRP would be a bit better for this but it has zero visibility on charger status.

e.g. I just put into ABRP a trip I did last week, to see what it recommends. This is the output:

Screen Shot 2023-12-07 at 1.35.02 pm.png

All good, until you find out that the charger stations at Taree are broken with no ETA on when they will be back online.

I assume it's a bit different up there, but in Melbourne I find Google Maps and Apple Maps are both pretty good at showing stations in use (at least for the major networks)

I assume it's a bit different up there, but in Melbourne I find Google Maps and Apple Maps are both pretty good at showing stations in use (at least for the major networks)
It's of little help when you are driving.

I want to be directed to the right charge stop without having to pull over for 20 minutes to try and work it out. That was the point of OBD - to provide the car's data to a system so this can be worked out.

What I am learning is the charge network, isn't a network.

I can't see a way for Google or Apple maps to generate a dynamic route plan for an EV, which accounts for the car's charge status and charging station status.

What am I missing?

Here charge stations fault out at any time. Both Taree service centre chargers have gone dead (again), and both Port Macquarie (non-Tesla) charge stops have dead chargers. Karuah - who knows?

We are getting close to a scenario of not being able to make the trip down Highway #1 to Sydney because the distance between working chargers is too great.

In mainland Europe ABRP shows by icons how many stalls in the charger park there is, if they are available (green), if they are busy (red) or not information provided (grey), but the again ABRP is a Swedish development, so maybe they have more insights into Europe

In mainland Europe ABRP shows by icons how many stalls in the charger park there is, if they are available (green), if they are busy (red) or not information provided (grey), but the again ABRP is a Swedish development, so maybe they have more insights into Europe
Sample screen shot just taken for a charger park in Denmark. 12 stalls available, 4 stalls in use, none out of service/unknown. This changes in real-time as people come and go. ABRP has the ability to show this, but the charger park needs to transmit the information

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205_183300_ABRP.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_183300_ABRP.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 75
Hi, question for obd wizards:
I am looking for throttle pedal position data and motor power or car speed data. Witch obd plug/ software can provide that? On mg4 Thanks.

I think it depends which one you get. Some of them say "safe to leave plugged in" or words to that effect.
I'd not thought about draining the 12V battery (I think it'd take a very long time to do that) but more from a security perspective. If the dongle remains live. Anyone with a phone could connect to it and, if they knew what they were doing, unlock your car. Maybe start it and drive off.
As I understand it, the"safe" ones power down when the car is off so you can't connect to them if you're not sat in the drivers seat.

I leave mine plugged in all the time.

Abrp works great with live SoC data.

AJP

Have you had any flat battery problems leaving your OBD plugged in all the times ?

The question was meant about the 12V battery - but I assume all was OK when you returned and the car started fine. :)

No. I've left it in for 8 days whilst I was on holiday, car not plugged in. I don't think it dropped a single %.

Sorry, should have been clearer, it's the 12V battery I'm interested in, but I'm guessing that was fine.

My OBD has a little red LED when plugged in but I can't see it using much battery lol

Hi all,
I am using the vLinker MC+ OBD II dongle, as it is between the ABRP recommended ones.
It is permanently connected to the car since months and I never had any 12V battery issues so far.

Hi all,
I am using the vLinker MC+ OBD II dongle, as it is between the ABRP recommended ones.
It is permanently connected to the car since months and I never had any 12V battery issues so far.

Do the lights on the dongle stay on when the car is locked ?

Finally found Obd2 Vgate that works properly, but temporary MG4 profile in CarScanner app makes lots of annoying stuff during setup

Attachments

• IMG_0762.jpeg
    IMG_0762.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0692.jpeg
    IMG_0692.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0690.jpeg
    IMG_0690.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 62
Finally found Obd2 Vgate that works properly, but temporary MG4 profile in CarScanner app makes lots of annoying stuff during setup
I too use the Vgate dongle, mainly for ABRP. I have found that leaving the dongle installed causes 2 problems.
When entering and starting the car, ABRP will not talk to the dongle until unplugged and reconnected. My theory is that when the car is powered on, immediately the dongle gets power and fires up Bluetooth and ABRP starts talking to the OBD port. But at that time the car is not fully booted, so ABRP does not get a response for it's plea for SoC. As such, ABRP identifies the dongle as "not of interest" and totally ignores it. Just a theory.

The 2nd problem is when leaving the car, no matter which method I use to lock it, the alarm, most times, starts shortly after. Here my theory is that the OBD port is still powered (at least some time) after the car is locked and the alarm enabled, but the dongle (maybe asked by ABRP?) still talks to the OBD port and the alarm systems sees that as an attempt to gain inappropriate control of the car.

My solution to these problems have been to install an OBD extender cable, with a power off button. This allows me to keep the dongle installed and peace of mind that no one can connect to the dongle while I'm not there. Still early days, I only installed it yesterday.

I installed car scanner last night and connected to my car. Surprisingly my battery SoH is showing as 100% but I'm dubious as to the accuracy, I'm 6000 miles in, only a few rapid charges but I do do perform deeper charging cycles ( down to 20% then charge to 90% ) for my own ease which isn't the best way to care for the battery, so I'd realistically expect some SoH drop by now. Has anyone else with the NMC battery running this software recorded anything less than 100% SoH yet?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back