OVO Drive new 5p charge anytime

N2STY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So I see to day OVO have just changed there drive tariff which comes in close to new price cap with a big but standing charge is almost 1/2 of price cap and a 5p kW charge any time
Screenshot_20220215_075134.jpg
Screenshot_20220215_075039.jpg

I just checked ohme is one of there compatible chargers and if you don't have one you can still join ovo drive then get a discount on a charger install then add the 5p tariff

I just checked ohme is one of there compatible chargers and if you don't have one you can still join ovo drive then get a discount on a charger install then add the 5p tariff
I have a home charger already, if I pay for one of theirs to get the 5p deal instead of 7.5p Octopus offers I'd have to drive 80k miles to break even.

The only reason I can think of for them to impose their charger is to avoid people charging domestic batteries with cheap electricity.

You don't have to change charger as long as its a smart charger that can handle 30min tariffs

I have just added the tariff with a charge fitted by motability
Any smart charge ver 3.0 or smart pro
Screenshot_20220215_095031.jpg

Mine was ohme smart pro

Last edited:
Do you not think you're paying back any savings in spades with the high standard rate of 30p a kwh?

My own home charger is a simple dumb one that only takes 4 or 5 hours to recharge my car. That would save me about £1 per charge at those rates but my standard rate is only 19.6p currently which is over 10p cheaper per kwh.

You are lucky then as my deal ends on 27th of Feb and the new cap is 28pkw and 45p standing so to me 29pkw standing 20p then to charge car 5pkw is a better deal

No argument there ) If you do the maths and it works out cheaper overall then it's a good deal.

Do you not think you're paying back any savings in spades with the high standard rate of 30p a kwh?

My own home charger is a simple dumb one that only takes 4 or 5 hours to recharge my car. That would save me about £1 per charge at those rates but my standard rate is only 19.6p currently which is over 10p cheaper per kwh.m

My own home charger is a simple dumb one that only takes 4 or 5 hours to recharge my car. That would save me about £1 per charge at those rates but my standard rate is only 19.6p currently which is over 10p cheaper per kwh.
Octopus Go and the likes make sense if EV usage is greater than domestic use (7.5+31)/2=19.25p/KW on average.
I'm on 23p/kw with Scottish Power from this January so I am in no rush to switch.

Alternatively a domestic battery around 10kwh could shift nearly all domestic usage to nighttime cheap tariff but it takes about 5 years to pay for itself.

One other thing I like ovo is the 5p is anytime charging which helps me as work alot of night and there is nothing stopping me using the V2L to save a bit more

I wonder how this will change when/if the market goes to real-time adjustable billing - they bill you more during peak, less (which is obviously relative). Several companies are pushing for this, obviously it's in their benefit to do it. Also, you can't get this tariff if you live near a nuclear weapons early warning systems!

I wonder how this will change when/if the market goes to real-time adjustable billing - they bill you more during peak, less (which is obviously relative). Several companies are pushing for this, obviously it's in their benefit to do it. Also, you can't get this tariff if you live near a nuclear weapons early warning systems!

I have noticed this smart meter nonsense, looks like a coordinated campaign.

There's an RF exclusion zone around certain sites, there are alternative methods for getting those properties on a smart meter using a different communication method.

I looked into this for my situation (I'm on a variable tariff after the demise of Avro) and the savings are still there:

New Price Cap (April 2022)
Per Year Gas £880.31
Per Year Electric £1836.97
Total £2717.28
EV 10 hours a week960.96
Overall Total £3678.24

Octopus Go (new rates, 7.5p off peak, 31p peak)

Per Year Gas £880.31
Per Year Electric £1836.97
Total £2717.28
EV 10 hours per week257.40
Overall Total £2974.68

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom