POLL : MG4 Xpower Steering Vibration

Does your MG4 Xpower suffer from Steering vibration when cruising around 66-70mph

• Yes my Xpower suffers from this steering vibration

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No my Xpower does not suffer from this

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Yes I would want an official MG fix

Votes: 25 89.3%
  • No I wouldn't want an official MG fix

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've had my wheels rebalanced by a tyre shop, they were significantly out. That helped a little. Now waiting on the damper fix, booked in a week away in Australia. Will report back.

I've also heard it may be from the 2 motors in the X-Power. Is there a way to engage only front? Pretty sure Normal mode is rear and Sports is both. Eco?

I thought only sports used both? But eco would logically only use the rear. Worth a test whether it reduces the issue?

I've had my wheels rebalanced by a tyre shop, they were significantly out. That helped a little. Now waiting on the damper fix, booked in a week away in Australia. Will report back.

I've also heard it may be from the 2 motors in the X-Power. Is there a way to engage only front? Pretty sure Normal mode is rear and Sports is both. Eco?
Short answer no.
Sport and Snow 4WD
Normal, eco, rear wheel drive until you bury the throttle then 4WD.

Put on the power distribution screen to see 4WD activated briefly when turning out of junctions etc. (In normal and eco)

Short answer no.
Sport and Snow 4WD
Normal, eco, rear wheel drive until you bury the throttle then 4WD.

Put on the power distribution screen to see 4WD activated briefly when turning out of junctions etc. (In normal and eco)
So you can only test if you do not floor it in Eco and Normal. Still doable.

Another 200 miles this weekend and still have something there, despite the re-balancing of the fronts. It's now approx 70+ so I've been happy at 68mph and it's not a huge issue. If I could choose to lose the vibration or lose middle lane hoggers, I'd keep the vibes. The hoggers are far more irritating.

Last edited:
I thought only sports used both? But eco would logically only use the rear. Worth a test whether it reduces the issue?
I've tested it in ECO mode and also in "Energy Saving Mode" + ECO mode combined and I still have the vibration at 70mph. The front motor would not have been engaged/used as I was cruising with very little power.

The vibration was reported in early XPower demo cars and no one had mentioned it before then. Australia MG also recognised it was an Xpower only issue as they withdrew all Xpowers from delivery for a while because of the issue (bit not other MG4 models).

Thanks JohnyG.
Though I feel a lot of the vibration cases in non XPowers are from late 2023 cars. That is way after the Xpower demos.

It usually pops up after 100kph and increases with higher speeds. Mine already started vibrating at or little above 80.
Softer rubber on the Pirellis do help. But it is still there.

It usually pops up after 100kph and increases with higher speeds. Mine already started vibrating at or little above 80.
Softer rubber on the Pirellis do help. But it is still there.

Mines perfect at 80kph (50mph) to 106kph (66mph) ... it just gets worse when cruising at 68-72mph and then all is fine again at 75mph plus (on a private road of course)👍.

68 mph is when the second effect kicks in: swift acceleration clearly increases vibration. If you stabilize the speed at say 75, the vibration drops. For me this is an indication of something at the drive train/engine, rear axle or just rear wheels and tires.

Not an Xpower, but same obervations here.
A couple of other MG owners have either pushed the dealer to check the rims and tires (again..). Some also made a deal for a Roadforce test and the dealer fixed the issues afterwards. Mostly very positive results. I will have this Rodforce test done next week or the week after.

Not an Xpower, but same obervations here.
A couple of other MG owners have either pushed the dealer to check the rims and tires (again..). Some also made a deal for a Roadforce test and the dealer fixed the issues afterwards. Mostly very positive results. I will have this Rodforce test done next week or the week after.
Just to mention the results of the roadforce test: right front wasn't perfect but no reason to worry. Right rear tire however in the middle radial was clearly off. I will get a new tire asap. Hope this will end the vibration issue.

Update: fixed.
See Post in thread 'Resonating bass cabin noise when driving' Resonating bass cabin noise when driving

Last edited:
Shame I missed your poll. I would have voted Yes and Yes. My XPower suffers from vibration at speeds above 103kmh most noticable. I had all for wheels rebalanced and even front to rear and rear to front tyre rotation, but the problem persists.

The recall damper fix had already been done too.

The car is again to be checked by MG and I have been advised by the service department that they have to refer the case to MG as to next steps....

I feel I am in for a protracted resolution.

Shame I missed your poll. I would have voted Yes and Yes. My XPower suffers from vibration at speeds above 103kmh most noticable. I had all for wheels rebalanced and even front to rear and rear to front tyre rotation, but the problem persists.

The recall damper fix had already been done too.

The car is again to be checked by MG and I have been advised by the service department that they have to refer the case to MG as to next steps....

I feel I am in for a protracted resolution.
Could you describe the vibration? Does it increase with higher speeds? Is it different under acceleration ?

due to buy an Xpower soon myself is the vibration bad bad or is it just a little bit?

I am assuming with the car still under warranty it will be needed to fixed at some point?

If its not to bad I'm not overly fussed about the vibration i wont be on the free way much mostly just short drives around my area ..

test drove one yesterday never pushed it crazy hard think I hit 90 km/h around a bend car performed great ..
Did find it strange they said no free way no tolls so I couldn't get it to 100 kph to see for myself what the vibration is like !!

Is it a perfect car NO compared to my current drive 2012 volvo S60 T6 R design with the Polestar tune the MG4 X power is a great little car for it price.

Obviously coming from a 2012 to a 2023 it going to be better ..

But I think I'm going to change the boots to pilot sport 5's they have been on my Volvo for over a year now and wear is great ( like 100 times better than the 4's ) and handling is great ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom