Positive Vibes for the MG4

Like Oberoi im finding its changing my outlook on a few things in a positive manner.

1. Build quality, looks and driving experience are special. My son who drives a Tesla Y says the build quality is better on the MG and that the Tesla which costs twice as much is not twice the car!
2.whilst i did think its unlikely i'll ever make back the difference in up front costs of car and charger through reduced running costs. Im now not so sure as charging costs are far less that i expected using cheaper tariffs.
3. The V2L function now powers my whole garage when the car is home including heating it for the first time ever. Im retired and spend a lot of time in there.
4. The little additions that make this car stand out in its class, range, charging speed, the app, heated steering wheel, the onboard infotainment, All make use and ownership better.
5. its not an SUV
6.No major niggles . the tyre pressure sensors don't like the cold and my sunglasses rattle in the overhead holder are the only things i can think of so it's not much I can complain about.
7. This forum is useful and helpful . How else would i have been able to get a printed handbook from Bernie (Sloucher)

Overall my first EV decision was based up economic and environmental factors so i was prepared for some compromises. However so far there are no compromises only improvements.

Like Oberoi im finding its changing my outlook on a few things in a positive manner.

1. Build quality, looks and driving experience are special. My son who drives a Tesla Y says the build quality is better on the MG and that the Tesla which costs twice as much is not twice the car!
2.whilst i did think its unlikely i'll ever make back the difference in up front costs of car and charger through reduced running costs. Im now not so sure as charging costs are far less that i expected using cheaper tariffs.
3. The V2L function now powers my whole garage when the car is home including heating it for the first time ever. Im retired and spend a lot of time in there.
4. The little additions that make this car stand out in its class, range, charging speed, the app, heated steering wheel, the onboard infotainment, All make use and ownership better.
5. its not an SUV
6.No major niggles . the tyre pressure sensors don't like the cold and my sunglasses rattle in the overhead holder are the only things i can think of so it's not much I can complain about.
7. This forum is useful and helpful . How else would i have been able to get a printed handbook from Bernie (Sloucher)

Overall my first EV decision was based up economic and environmental factors so i was prepared for some compromises. However so far there are no compromises only improvements.
On item 6. Give this a go on the sunglasses holder
Sntieecr 10 Pieces Black Adhesive... Amazon product ASIN B07H4CZYSB
Also I have a feeling it's the air in your tyres rather than the sensors that don't like the cold 😉😊
Good point on 5 forgot this one myself, I'm not an SUV person.

I ordered my MG4 yesterday, Orange Trophy, been told 16-20 weeks for delivery, so end of April, kinda hoping for earlier but whatever :p

I was unsure really given the issues noted so far but eventually I decided that with the exception of the key issue they were minor enough to 'deal with' (as in get fixed) if necessary.

Whilst MG have been far from open/outspoken about the various issues they do seem to have been working on them in the background so I'm fairly confident they'll all be resolved in time. Maybe...

First day of ownership positives…

Great to drive. Quick, responsive, get in and go.

Quietness.

Ability to pre-heat interior using the app.

Infotainment system - so far it’s flawless. The way it handles Apple CarPlay is perfect. VAG could learn a thing or two!

Loads of storage in the front - I’m not likely to use half of it.

Loads of room inside in general.

Picked up my red MG4 SE SR today from Howards Taunton MG.
So many, many wonderful things (am I overdoing it?) and brilliant service by George of Howards, whom I highly recommend.
But, I guess the single best thing was, on the drive home (M5, A30 south) noticing how many other cars were passing me slowly, slowing down, making me pass them and generally manoeuvring around me to get a get look! Almost like being an 18 year old on the dancefloor again.(sic)
Then, life balanced out, Karma! I came up behind a working Gritting Lorry (grrrrhhh) straddling the middle lane, showering on my perfectly valeted, pristine MG4 straight from the dealer!!! God is a satirist?
(PS got home to find the dog had a bad tummy and left a liquid poop in the kitchen. MyDay/NotMyDay?)
😂

Was thinking about this the other day, my only gripe is the software (which can be updated). The hardware side is actually very good.

It handles well, is easy to use and the 'car' bits can't find fault on my first batch Trophy. Which is why the software issues are so annoying.

Thank you for starting this thread. You are right, people will use this post to discuss issues and find solutions, but hardly anyone raises the good points and so it gives a distorted view.

We have been pleasantly surprised with the MG4 and thoroughly enjoy the driving experience. It is so easy and a pleasure to drive. I have owned 20 cars in my my driving career from mini 850 to BMW420 and driven many others, the MG4 is up there at the top as far as driving experience goes. We also have had no issues with the car and our order came in earlier than expected.
(and no I have no connection to MG or the dealerships which would distort my point of view!)

Thank you for starting this thread. You are right, people will use this post to discuss issues and find solutions, but hardly anyone raises the good points and so it gives a distorted view.

We have been pleasantly surprised with the MG4 and thoroughly enjoy the driving experience. It is so easy and a pleasure to drive. I have owned 20 cars in my my driving career from mini 850 to BMW420 and driven many others, the MG4 is up there at the top as far as driving experience goes. We also have had no issues with the car and our order came in earlier than expected.
(and no I have no connection to MG or the dealerships which would distort my point of view!)
Great to hear about your positive experiences, Johnston!

There are so many issues posted on the forum, which is generally why people come to a forum to find help, but we need some balance and positivity about the car that so many of us have on order. It can't all be bad. So owners, please can you share the one thing that has pleasantly surprised you or that you love most about your car. A thread of joy please 🙂

Edit: Or share as many good things as you want. Let's get the excitement back for the MG4!
I would love to give a positive vibe… but still waliting for actual car
I’ll be lonely this Christmas without you (MG4 SE Standard Range Holborn Blue) by my side 🎵
Merry Christmas 🤶and New Year one and all

Positive Vibes.
As our first EV, it's great, it's a big adventure.
Here's one I've not seen mentioned much, it's very predictable for range on a long journey. We're quickly overcome any anxiety of driving well beyond range, 400 miles no problem. Even our SE charges quickly on a GOOD rapid charger.
I'm sure we had a first batch (collected October) and I'm at a loss as to why others have all sorts of LKA errors and so on, we turned it all off on day 2 and since not a peep out of it.
Love not having to go to the petrol station and being able to fill it up at a quarter of the price, or very occasionally in December for free. Can't wait for the summer when on a good day we should be able to get a 50% charge from the sun.
Yes we had the oil leak but that was fixed and I have to say the factory came out with the parts to resolve quickly. In terms of progress I think I've seen three updates to the App since we've had ours. I see that as a positive that the model is progressing and being supported. The remote access is good, I can check the charge, pre heat and all sorts from home.
Love it - do get one.

I’m loving my MG4 SE SR And it’s hard to choose just one thing. Comfortable and fun to drive, whilst feeling steady and safe. Love how it connects to Apple Play for music and voice activated maps. Roomy, practical, uncomplicated interior and storage. And it’s good looking!

I find my Trophy very relaxing to drive, partly because it’s quiet but I know the car has enough pickup to get me out of trouble should I ever find myself in some. The turning circle is superb as well.

Perhaps an odd one but I also like the thunk it makes when you shut the doors. 🙃

Once I get the issues fixed and the car back from the dealer, I’ll be very happy to keep it for the foreseeable. Driving the ICE courtesy car just isn’t the same.

Sadly we are not going to receive our MG4 until the new year. January was promised originally, so that’s still my expectation.

However, we remain very positive about it and are looking forward to receiving it.

We know ownership of any car will rarely be trouble-free especially when leaping into less mature technology. However, that also gives us a sense of adventure that is adding to the fun.

Thank you for creating this thread, it had started to feel as if all people wanted to talk about were problems.

More praise...
I've owned my MG4 Trophy since Oct 5 and have over 6500 miles on it..... So apart from the DAB radio stopping sometimes the car has been flawless. Drives like a demon, costs next to nothing to run. Build quality is better than the price. Spec is better than the price. And those 6500 miles have cost less than £50. (Click Energy N.I. was £0.015 now £0.047 per KWH). Aware others have had issues, but I would definitely recommend this car to all I know.

More praise...
I've owned my MG4 Trophy since Oct 5 and have over 6500 miles on it..... So apart from the DAB radio stopping sometimes the car has been flawless. Drives like a demon, costs next to nothing to run. Build quality is better than the price. Spec is better than the price. And those 6500 miles have cost less than £50. (Click Energy N.I. was £0.015 now £0.047 per KWH). Aware others have had issues, but I would definitely recommend this car to all I know.
Picked our’s last week - so far a joy to drive my wife both drove that first day with trepidation- but soon got used to the infotainment bangs and whistles- found it very responsive to the slightest touch on accelerator- but all round great car. Only one niggle, I just assumed the my pod point charger which is rated at 7kw would charge the car but I’m only getting just over 2kw/h. Not sure if I’ve got it wrong or I’m not charging correctly.took 9 hours to charge from 58% to 98%.

Check in the car in the charging tile ... maybe the charge rate is set low - if it is change it to Maximum; this will enable near-7kW charging rate.

Might be worth checking the "Charge Settings" in the car, because it is possible to set a limit on the incoming charge

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back