• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Positive Vibes for the MG4

It’s set at 16A which is the highest
16A is not the highest ... there's a higher one called Maximum. Try it. :)

6A
10A
16A
Maximum

I only have single phase power at home would that affect it?
So does (almost) 100% of domestic properties in the UK. So do I - and I get ~6.4kW charge rate (in the car; ~6.8kW at the charge point).

Two things for me:
a) Feeling zero guilt about getting into the car simply to go for a ride (no more spraying diesel particles all over the lovely countryside around where we live!);
b) On motorways, watching the huge Audi/BMW SUVs that are attempting to push me out of the fast lane even as I'm overtaking two other lanes of traffic simply disappear behind me as I accelerate away – while knowing my car cost less than half the price and is running clean... ;-)

Two things for me:
a) Feeling zero guilt about getting into the car simply to go for a ride (no more spraying diesel particles all over the lovely countryside around where we live!);
b) On motorways, watching the huge Audi/BMW SUVs that are attempting to push me out of the fast lane even as I'm overtaking two other lanes of traffic simply disappear behind me as I accelerate away – while knowing my car cost less than half the price and is running clean... ;-)

This isn’t a negative comment in a positive thread, but some perspective please…
The 4, when performing correctly (cough), is a reasonably quick car up to a point, as is usual with EVs.
Quick to lower speeds, not so hot after that.
Most EVs are restricted to around 90-100mph max and acceleration in them all diminishes rapidly at higher speeds.
If they wanted to, they could absolutely demolish you.
It’s 170bhp max and 1655kgs minimum, after all.

Last edited:
Oh come on….it’s got around 170bhp and weighs 1655kgs (minimum)
You’re not making any BMW/Audi SUV “disappear”
Sheesh….
Come On Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp
That’s the short range, bowfer. The SE long range and Trophy models have 203bhp.

OK but It’s no faster, as the greater weight of the bigger battery negates the power.
Look at the figures, it’s not my opinion, it’s fact.
Yeah, I wonder about that, as the SE long range and Trophy are only 30kg heavier than the short range. I’d be interested to see an acceleration test between the short and long range.

The 4, when performing correctly (cough), is a reasonably quick car up to a point, as is usual with EVs.
Quick to lower speeds, not so hot after that.
0-60 isn't important to me really. I'm more interested in, maybe, 50-80 acceleration regarding safer (quicker) overtaking. When I test drove the MG4 in Oct 23, I tried that on a dual carriageway but wasn't really impressed. It didn't feel any quicker than my 1.4L boosterjet (turbo) Vitara, believe it or not, which is actually a pretty good overtaking car.

0-60 isn't important to me really. I'm more interested in, maybe, 50-80 acceleration regarding safer (quicker) overtaking. When I test drove the MG4 in Oct 23, I tried that on a dual carriageway but wasn't really impressed. It didn't feel any quicker than my 1.4L boosterjet (turbo) Vitara, believe it or not, which is actually a pretty good overtaking car.

No, normal EVs really aren’t great after about 60, acceleration diminishes.
When my did perform properly, getting to 100mph did take a while.

I’d still like to see a drag race between the two, just for the fun of it.

Which dress will you wear?
So we don’t clash.

OK but It’s no faster, as the greater weight of the bigger battery negates the power.
Look at the figures, it’s not my opinion, it’s fact.
Well, it's fact in the sense that it's tech specs on paper. All I can tell you is, the more than 200 bhp in the Trophy/Luxury (depending on which country you're in) is more than capable of leaving a BMW/Audi in the dust, at least during acceleration. The MG4's mid-range acceleration is exceptionally good, and while I'm always cheerfully waving at said BMWs/Audis as they grumpily zoom by me a few miles later (not least because I would never even think of driving at 100+ mph; what's the point?), it always leaves them in the dust during the acceleration part. Which means, in turn, that I don't have to deal with some overpowered juggernaut hovering just over my back bumper, leaving me nowhere to go. I've had this experience enough times to know that it simply works – the instant torque of an electric motor outweighs an IC motor every time, especially in the mid range. I couldn't do that to a Tesla, of course, if the driver happened to feel competitive.

It's a question of real world vs on-paper specs. Yes, these SUVs are immensely powerful, but their drivers are as human as the next person. They don't expect me to be able to accelerate away at the speed I do; I don't expect to keep far ahead of them for ever. Indeed, that's not my purpose – what a waste of battery! My purpose is simply to get well ahead for the time it takes me to overtake a stream of vehicles – and then politely pull over so the macho ego-heads can do their thing. The fact that I can now do this in a modest MG4 is what gives me such immense satisfaction. I'm not so egocentric as to want to compete endlessly along motorways, but when they're trying to push people out of the way so they can overtake, these vehicles are a genuine menace. And don't, when they encounter an MG4, always get their own way. Heh heh.

No, normal EVs really aren’t great after about 60, acceleration diminishes.
When my did perform properly, getting to 100mph did take a while.
See, I'm not interested in getting to 100 mph. But I haven't had your experience with the diminishing acceleration thing – if anything, I've found that acceleration improves over 60 (even in Normal mode, which is what I always drive in). I fear you've been given a Friday-afternoon car...

I would add that MG's own specs are not very accurate. I can certainly make 0-62 mph in less than the quoted 7.9s, and you'll find online reviews that have reached the same conclusion. But like others here, I'm not interested in the traffic-light tango; I've reached an age and stage where <yawn>, frankly.

I'm more interested in staying safe on motorways, or in other places where a rapid get-out is required (roundabouts, for example). And occasionally, just to lose a would-be boy racer on winding country roads ;-)

Well, it's fact in the sense that it's tech specs on paper. All I can tell you is, the more than 200 bhp in the Trophy/Luxury (depending on which country you're in) is more than capable of leaving a BMW/Audi in the dust, at least during acceleration. The MG4's mid-range acceleration is exceptionally good, and while I'm always cheerfully waving at said BMWs/Audis as they grumpily zoom by me a few miles later (not least because I would never even think of driving at 100+ mph; what's the point?), it always leaves them in the dust during the acceleration part. Which means, in turn, that I don't have to deal with some overpowered juggernaut hovering just over my back bumper, leaving me nowhere to go. I've had this experience enough times to know that it simply works – the instant torque of an electric motor outweighs an IC motor every time, especially in the mid range. I couldn't do that to a Tesla, of course, if the driver happened to feel competitive.

It's a question of real world vs on-paper specs. Yes, these SUVs are immensely powerful, but their drivers are as human as the next person. They don't expect me to be able to accelerate away at the speed I do; I don't expect to keep far ahead of them for ever. Indeed, that's not my purpose – what a waste of battery! My purpose is simply to get well ahead for the time it takes me to overtake a stream of vehicles – and then politely pull over so the macho ego-heads can do their thing. The fact that I can now do this in a modest MG4 is what gives me such immense satisfaction. I'm not so egocentric as to want to compete endlessly along motorways, but when they're trying to push people out of the way so they can overtake, these vehicles are a genuine menace. And don't, when they encounter an MG4, always get their own way. Heh heh.

That’s accessibility of power/torque, which i agree is the main bonus of an EV in driving terms.
It’s not that your car is faster, it’s definitely not, it’s just that you’re ‘always in the right gear’ to get max acceleration.
They’d have to change down.

I would add that MG's own specs are not very accurate. I can certainly make 0-62 mph in less than the quoted 7.9s, and you'll find online reviews that have reached the same conclusion. But like others here, I'm not interested in the traffic-light tango; I've reached an age and stage where <yawn>, frankly.

I'm more interested in staying safe on motorways, or in other places where a rapid get-out is required (roundabouts, for example). And occasionally, just to lose a would-be boy racer on winding country roads ;-)
In the 1990s a friend of mine used to have a 1957 Norton Dominator on a Featherbed frame and used to get challenged by "boys" on their brand new Japanese racers. In a straight line he would get left behind but on the country lanes he used to have to go back and help them out of the ditch.
Moral of the story...know your limitations and pick your moment.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back