Tried a bp pulse 150 last week. It started at 40 but after 10 mins was supposedly up to 100. It was in amps on charge display on car. Went down slightly after 80% but was in the 80s. No problems at all.
The amps display in the car is not the kW it's charging at. On a 7kW fast charger it will show about 16 amps so 80 amps is approx 35kW. So much the same as everyone else is reporting.

To be accurate use the cars voltage (same screen as amps) at the time usually somewhere below 400 and multiply by the amps. So say 390 volts charging at 100 amps would be (39000 watts =) 39kW

The amps display in the car is not the kW it's charging at. On a 7kW fast charger it will show about 16 amps so 80 amps is approx 35kW. So much the same as everyone else is reporting.

To be accurate use the cars voltage (same screen as amps) at the time usually somewhere below 400 and multiply by the amps. So say 390 volts charging at 100 amps would be (39000 watts =) 39kW
Yep, I am aware of the V I W equation.

I now know why I home charge. 83p per kWh is expensive in comparison to economy7.
Indeed. The thinking is presumably that rapid charging is for convenience while doing occasional long travels, so people might grumble a little but pay.

But there is a next tranche of EV users who can't charge at home. They possibly park on the street. It's going to be (or will continue to be) a hard sell to those people.

I know that there are a few of you on this forum already; I dips me lid to ya'! 👍

rising to a max of 60kW by latter chargers...
Do you mean by later stages? Please forgive my ignorance.

Interesting this may be the first 150 I have tried. I am sure I got higher speeds before on others.

Anyone with a FL noticed any issues with 150 chargers?
I have Trophy 64kWh; at IONITY I have seen 100kW charging but @10degrees so confident will improve in the summer usually charge between 20-30% to 80%

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I drove back from Scotland 460 miles. My first stop was 100 miles and because it was only 2°C my 1 hr 40 min journey I put on the battery heater for the last 40 mins of the journey arrived at 43% which is a bit high but thought I would achieve higher than 46 kW max speed using the heater. I did not use the heater again on the journey and on my second stop arriving at 15% I achieved 67 kW. On my third and last stop for a quick top up at 43% again only got 47 kW. Once again I thought after a couple of hours at 70 mph mainly I would get a bit higher charge rate. State of charge is definitely the key to faster charging.

My first stop was 100 miles and because it was only 2°c my 1 hr 40 min journey I put on the battery heater for the last 40 mins of the journey arrived at 43% which is a bit high but thought I would achieve higher than 46 kW max speed using the heater…
… it’s a bit of a dark art when it comes to manual heating , if activated too early the battery cools down again before you get to charge, 40min seems excessive, but without knowing the actual battery temperature it’s a pure guessing game, on top of that pFL models appear to have different set points

MG5 FL

Been a while since I used a rapid charger but decided to pop round and try the shinny new MFG 150kw chargers round the corner from me. I didn’t preheat the battery and it was about 13c outside.

I was charging from 50 to 85% just to see the speed difference once it hit 80%.

What puzzled me was the speed never got over 41kw in the ~40 mins I was there. Surely the battery should have warmed up during that time and gone a lot higher?

It did drop at 80% to about 20kw which was expected.

I didn’t think to try another charger at time which was stupid I case it was the charger
It's not the car. Its them chargers. I would complain. I used to use podpoint fast charge 7kW at my shopping centre. I was getting 3.1 on 1 charger so I moved to another and that was worse, about 2.5. Out of the 11 chargers only 2 was hitting about 6.6kW. So it's not the car.

It's not the car. Its them chargers.
That's a sweeping statement. In some cases, it's the charger, as you have found. But public DC rapid charging is different to local shopping centre AC charging.

Another factor is the mismatch between the typical EV battery voltage and the maximum voltage of a DC charger. 50 kW 500 V max chargers are notorious for only delivering say 43 kW, but that's because you are hitting the current limit for that charger. If your battery was near 500 V (few of them are), then you can get the advertised 50 kW. In that respect, my ZS Mark 1 with its 450 V battery (at full charge) probably does a little better at these smaller rapid chargers than models with around 400 V at full charge.

Yes I get what your saying. On 50kW chargers I find 43kW acceptable but on a 150kW I don't think 43kW is. I know my max charge rate is 90kW and 150 will never be achieved but nearer to 75-80kW after driving for nearly two hours at 70mph should be attained, I would have thought the battery would have been warm enough by then.

That's a sweeping statement. In some cases, it's the charger, as you have found. But public DC rapid charging is different to local shopping centre AC charging.
I agree, there have been many examples where other car brands charge at double or more the rate a MG5 does at the same DC chargers.

While there are ‘chemical’ limitations of how fast rapid charging can go, at end of the day it’s the car’s BMS that controls the charge rate and it seems that MG has decided to prioritise battery longevity rather than performance (may have something to do with 7 year warranty).

As post #19 clearly shows ambient temperature (combined with SOC) is a major factor.

Would be interesting to see how much battery cooling is generated by ‘wind-chill’ driving at motorway speeds @ low temperatures. I gather it must be substantial or the BMS simply throttles charging performance based on ambient temperature.

Yesterday I drove back from Scotland 460 miles. My first stop was 100 miles and because it was only 2°C my 1 hr 40 min journey I put on the battery heater for the last 40 mins of the journey arrived at 43% which is a bit high but thought I would achieve higher than 46 kW max speed using the heater. I did not use the heater again on the journey and on my second stop arriving at 15% I achieved 67 kW. On my third and last stop for a quick top up at 43% again only got 47 kW. Once again I thought after a couple of hours at 70 mph mainly I would get a bit higher charge rate. State of charge is definitely the key to faster charging.
74kW at 57% and I've had 90kW at 40% too, weather is a big issue as it charger.

1707728545449.png

Whilst on this subject during my Scotland trip I stopped overnight at a Premier Inn with a Genie point charger and I couldn't get it to charge. So I gave up and next morning went to a BP high power charger wouldn't work either (never had problems with these before) eventually found a Pod point and managed to charge although it stopped once. My point is I think the old Genie point charger messed up my car because on my next stop at Gridserve I plugged in started ok came out to check and it had stopped I started it again and okay this time but next to me was an MG4 and her car wouldn't charge so I told her my story and she had also tried at a Premier Inn Genie point and it failed the night before and her car wouldn't charge either. So beware old Genie point chargers. I think the new ones they are putting in some Morrisons are ok because I have used them without a hitch. My car has been ok since so I assume it has cleared itself.
Sorry for the long story.

Ran up to Leeds from Southampton and back at the weekend, for the grandson's birthday...

pleasantly surprised to get the following...

Watford Gap... up 56kW
Woolley Edge. north.. up 59kW

back on Sunday
Woolley Edge south 59kW
Watford Gap... down 49kW

each of them steady until the battery hit 85% before drifting down

home with 24%....

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel