Real World Range of MG ZS EV

uhhu

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have searched the forum before posting but cannot see anything in the first few pages - so apologies if this has been covered.

I am currently looking for a new EV for my wife. I wanted to know what peoples experiences are of the MG ZS range in cold weather? The MG ZS EV website reports Highway - Cold Weather as 95 miles. Is this accurate?

I do a 130 mile trip twice a year. The closest rapid charger is 96 miles away. If the reported 95 miles is accurate, then the car is not feasible (which would be a real shame) in the winter months, especially so, if I put a roof rack on.
Can anyone confirm what range they were getting last winter?

I've also looked at the MG5, but the boot space looks prohibitive for my needs - it's reported as: width 104cm depth 90cm which is too small.

Thanks in advance,

Your research is pretty accurate & in line with our experience, we also do a similar journey on a regular basis. The car, in any situation, will start bleating when it gets down to an anticipated range of 35 miles & this seemed to happen about 100 miles into the journey - less in the cold weather.

Hi,
I thought the MG5 boot was larger than the ZS.
You would have to look at the new versions if range is a concern

Hi,

I have searched the forum before posting but cannot see anything in the first few pages - so apologies if this has been covered.

I am currently looking for a new EV for my wife. I wanted to know what peoples experiences are of the MG ZS range in cold weather? The MG ZS EV website reports Highway - Cold Weather as 95 miles. Is this accurate?

I do a 130 mile trip twice a year. The closest rapid charger is 96 miles away. If the reported 95 miles is accurate, then the car is not feasible (which would be a real shame) in the winter months, especially so, if I put a roof rack on.

I've also looked at the MG5, but the boot space looks prohibitive for my needs - it's reported as: width 104cm depth 90cm which is too small.

Thanks in advance,
If the minimum distance you need to travel in winter to reach a charger is 95miles, then do not get the ZS.
You will get 95miles out of a full charge in winter, BUT if you're doing a 60/70mph journey and want your heating on full, it is not really safe to do, if that charger is out of service etc you will be scr3wed.
The above is based on a battery at 100% state of health too. You need to think about when you want to make that journey after your car has done 20k miles and you have lost 5% battery. Of course in the future they'll be better charging infrastructure so hopefully you won't have to go 95miles before reaching a charger.

Thanks very much for the quick replies. I feared that this would be accurate.
Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of waiting for the long range version as I need a car this year.
It looks like I got the dimensions wrong - the ZS boot dimensions are smaller with width and depth, but it has a bigger capacity. The ZS is just completely out then, which is a shame given its a good looking car and doesn't cost the earth (and available).

Thanks very much for the quick replies. I feared that this would be accurate.
Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of waiting for the long range version as I need a car this year.
It looks like I got the dimensions wrong - the ZS boot dimensions are smaller with width and depth, but it has a bigger capacity. The ZS is just completely out then, which is a shame given its a good looking car and doesn't cost the earth (and available).
There should be some of the new versions available this year, maybe worth talking to a decent dealer (eg @MilesperkWh) about it after tomorrow’s announcement

95 miles seems a long way from the nearest rapid charger.
If that's true then the MG5 would be better suited, the original short range one will easily do 140 miles even in Winter.

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
May I ask, where on earth are you that the nearest rapid is 96 miles away ?

May I ask, where on earth are you that the nearest rapid is 96 miles away ?
Perhaps I should have stated "conveniently located". Whilst I want to buy electric, I don't want to be inconvenienced to do so. I have an abundance of rapid chargers close to where I live, but I would rather not stop 30 miles into a 130 mile journey, especially with a baby who has just fallen asleep. The rapid chargers "on the way" are located in little villages which require a detour off the motorway rather than at motorway services or petrol stations on the A road I travel along.

I have opted for the Skoda Enyaq as this will do the journey without the need to stop at all, and I can trickle charge at the destination.
Thanks for the helpful replies.

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
The new ZS EV has a much longer range and should be ideal for you even in a really cold winter

I bought my ZS EV in 2019 and my experience is that the range on a full charge in the winter is approximately 178 and in summer 220 however, in reality you would get about 2/3 of this depending on your driving style. My results are for mixed driving with no heating on. There is a new MG coming out next month apparently with a range of 300 miles which sounds much better but costs a lot more at about £30000 depending on the model you choose. Good luck with your choice. It's great to help the planet.

95 miles for a rapid!! Suggest you go on Zap-Map and look again. Doubt if there is anywhere in the UK that you could be with that being nearest. I have about 30-40 rapids within 10 miles or so of my home.

I have a feeling this is just a troll post. I'm not being nasty here but if you do a trip "twice a year" of 130 miles in an EV, and are not willing to go out of your way by a couple of miles in order to do it, I would class that as being a little inflexible.
I would say we would all love there to be a rapid charger exactly half way there, on every trip we do, just there, on the side of the road, always working and never being used, alas...........
Lastly if he chose a Skoda Enyaq and is willing to pay, what, £20000 extra to do these 2 130 mile trips a year, I have some beachside land to sell in Hemsby.

I have a feeling this is just a troll post. I'm not being nasty here but if you do a trip "twice a year" of 130 miles in an EV, and are not willing to go out of your way by a couple of miles in order to do it, I would class that as being a little inflexible.
I would say we would all love there to be a rapid charger exactly half way there, on every trip we do, just there, on the side of the road, always working and never being used, alas...........
Lastly if he chose a Skoda Enyaq and is willing to pay, what, £20000 extra to do these 2 130 mile trips a year, I have some beachside land to sell in Hemsby.
Yep spot on @Brucet very well put I thought the same myself

indeed. would be vastly cheaper to use the zs ev for most journeys and hire a car for the long trips.
The enyaq is dearer than a model 3 unless you opt for poverty spec. We normally visit north wales a couple if times a year in our leaf and charging there is terrible. I still wouldn't pay £10k more over a little inconvenience when most motoring is easier and more refined than an ICE vehicle.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom