Adam C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Morning folks

As I explained when I recently joined the forum I was due to have a 7kwh home charger installed in February but due to work being carried out I’ll have to wait until April/May now

Now when parking allows at the back of my house I will use the MG Lead ( Granny Charger ) but I’ll need at least a 12-15 meter extension cable

Now I’ve got an ancient extension lead in the cupboard but that will probably blow every fuse in the house so for those that have used an extension lead with the granny charger is there any you recommend?

I don’t mind paying a higher price for a better quality one

Many thanks

@Rolfe I have read several articles which say the plug on the granny charger won't fit in the socket of the extention lead. Can you confirm that it does?
I don't remember the plug on my granny lead being any larger than any other UK 3-pin plug. 🤷‍♂️ Mine certainly fits OK into my (non-weather-proof) extension block that I carry in the car. (I have a plastic bag that I wrap it up in when using it).

Upvote 0
Perfect - I’d also advise if you’re charging at a rented or friends house with unknown quality or integrity of the wiring to use the socket on the electric cooker switch. This will (or should) be wired with heavier section cable.

That sounds like a very good idea, if it can be achieved.

Upvote 0
Just received the waterproof ex lead from Tough Leads (10m}. Very thick, but flexible. Went for the in-line RCD 'cos I'm paranoid about electricity (40 years in the industry).

Prompted one question which should have occurred to me before - is the "granny charger" waterproof? Want to leave it charging overnight on the drive, but the weather!

Upvote 0
Just received the waterproof ex lead from Tough Leads (10m}. Very thick, but flexible. Went for the in-line RCD 'cos I'm paranoid about electricity (40 years in the industry).

Prompted one question which should have occurred to me before - is the "granny charger" waterproof? Want to leave it charging overnight on the drive, but the weather!
Hi, it should have an IP rating on the granny EVSE. They are designed for use outside. When I have used mine I put all the joints under the car just incase.

Upvote 0

Small plastic toolbox is what I use. Or a plastic bag- or both ?👍

Upvote 0
I have not tried it, despite carrying the thing around several times. I will try tomorrow.
Having just read the comments I’m about to buy one of these, any recommendations on which one as there are three on the website, one without RCD and two with.

Upvote 0
Having just read the comments I’m about to buy one of these, any recommendations on which one as there are three on the website, one without RCD and two with.
Aye the RCD should give and added level of protection so it comes to price and perception of value I suppose. I’ve got the one supplied with my car and it’s not got an RCD included but the house wiring here has an RCD incorporated- but perhaps not wherever else I want to use it ??

Upvote 0
Aye the RCD should give and added level of protection so it comes to price and perception of value I suppose. I’ve got the one supplied with my car and it’s not got an RCD included but the house wiring here has an RCD incorporated- but perhaps not wherever else I want to use it ??
As a matter of interest is there much difference in price with those you’ve found ?

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom