Remote De-misting and the updated MG app

Harlequin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi everyone

During the really cold spell we had in NE Scotland recently I used the MG app to remotely switch on the windscreen demister 5 minutes before my Wife finished her nightshift, so that the car was nice and toasty for her and the windscreen was clear too!

HOWEVER, since they updated the app, when I go through the same routine now, it blows cold air into the car and automatically switches the blower temp to LOW instead of the AUTO setting I had it on. So now when she gets the car it's absolutely freezing inside!

Bit of a long shot, but I don’t suppose anyone else has noticed this since the app was updated?

Yes, I have exactly the same, and so do many others. There is a current thread running in the forum about the deficiencies in the app.

I did see advice to alter the HVAC temp to HI and send it the car, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hi everyone

During the really cold spell we had in NE Scotland recently I used the MG app to remotely switch on the windscreen demister 5 minutes before my Wife finished her nightshift, so that the car was nice and toasty for her and the windscreen was clear too!

HOWEVER, since they updated the app, when I go through the same routine now, it blows cold air into the car and automatically switches the blower temp to LOW instead of the AUTO setting I had it on. So now when she gets the car it's absolutely freezing inside!

Bit of a long shot, but I don’t suppose anyone else has noticed this since the app was updated?
Lots of issues highlighted on the iSmart thread;

I have the ZS EV ( Gen2 ) have you tried this.
On the front page of the App, go to the bottom R/H corner of the screen.
Press the A/C button.
This will take you to another screen that displays the cabin space and an adjustable temperature setting.
Increase this figure to about 23 degrees and then press SEND.
It will think about it for a few seconds, then you will receive a “success” notification, followed by a 10 minute run time notification.
Then the cabin graphic will display the air being moved in the car.
Just did the same on my car and it’s is heating the car as we speak 👍.

IMG_2201.png

Lots of issues highlighted on the iSmart thread;
Thanks!

I have the ZS EV ( Gen2 ) have you tried this.
On the front page of the App, go to the bottom R/H corner of the screen.
Press the A/C button.
This will take you to another screen that displays the cabin space and an adjustable temperature setting.
Increase this figure to about 23 degrees and then press SEND.
It will think about it for a few seconds, then you will receive a “success” notification, followed by a 10 minute run time notification.
Then the cabin graphic will display the air being moved in the car.
Just did the same on my car and it’s is heating the car as we speak 👍.

View attachment 22410
Thanks - warming the car is fine, but did it defrost the windscreen too?

Thanks - warming the car is fine, but did it defrost the windscreen too?
Sorry - I am unable to verify this today as we do not have any frost - sorry 😞.

If I press the “Front Window” button on the front page of the App, it does commence the HVAC by sending back the success notification and the 10 minute run time notification also.
I have been out to the car and the HVAC is definitely running !.
Also I see the reduction of my predicted range, so I know it’s pulling juice for the heater.
I am unable to confirm the precise direction of the heat of course.
You can clearly see below, the 210 miles is before I sent the command for the front window.
The second photo of 199 miles is when the front window command has been accepted by the car.

IMG_2204.png

IMG_2203.png

Last edited:
I am new to the forum,I have a 2021 zs ev does this car have an app.
Welcome to the forum !.
A 2021 model would indicate that you have the original ( Gen1 ) model.
If you have the large black front grill with the large MG chrome badge, covering the charge port, then you have the Gen 1 ZS EV.
If so, sorry your car is not equipped for the Ismart App.

Welcome to the forum !.
A 2021 model would indicate that you have the original ( Gen1 ) model.
If you have the large black front grill with the large MG chrome badge, covering the charge port, then you have the Gen 1 ZS EV.
If so, sorry your car is not equipped for the Ismart App.
That's a shame many thanks 👍

That's a shame many thanks 👍
When I start the car what does the little car mean on the dash when it has a red line in the middle of it ??

Thread bump ;).
Having read many posts on the remote screen defrost and temp reverting to "LO" even though the app is set to "HIGH", I'm yet to get this function to work. I've tried every way suggested but still get into a cold car in the morning with a frozen screen.
Ok, I can heat the cabin using the HVAC but after 10 mins, the temp inside the car is bearable but a still frozen screen isn't.
Any thoughts other than what's been previously suggested?
Here's hoping for no more frost :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have found on the new App if you select “A/C Blowing” from the menu n the front screen, it does supply heat to the cabin.
However on the old App it would make every vent available by default and the fan speed was around level 6.
On the new App the default fan speed is only level 3 which is not strong enough to achieve a warm cabin and a clear front screen in 10 minutes.
If I choose the “Front Window” option then the default temp is preset too LOW.
Which is pretty much useless TBH.
I never thought I would hear myself saying this, but In this regard the old App was much better 🤣.
I am not really a person that resistant to change, but only when changes are for the worse and not for the better, then this is not progress !.
I think it was intended to be a nice Christmas present for MG owners, instead it has even a retrograde step IMO.
The new App displays my closet charger to be over 5,000 miles away, what’s that all about 🫤.

If I choose the “Front Window” option then the default temp is preset too LOW.
Which is pretty much useless TBH.
This is the one thing that is really getting to me now :mad:.
My wife often has to go to work at 10.00pm, so clearing the screen is useful. Same applies when she leaves work at 7.00am. Being able to at least clear the front screen is a real boon as the car is 0.5 miles away from the office. Or, as it is atm, get to the car and sit there for 10 mins waiting for the screen to clear - what a waste of time.
So much for MG offering the app features if they're either shite or don't work.

This is the one thing that is really getting to me now :mad:.
My wife often has to go to work at 10.00pm, so clearing the screen is useful. Same applies when she leaves work at 7.00am. Being able to at least clear the front screen is a real boon as the car is 0.5 miles away from the office. Or, as it is atm, get to the car and sit there for 10 mins waiting for the screen to clear - what a waste of time.
So much for MG offering the app features if they're either shite or don't work.
At least the previous App would heat the cabin space due to the higher default blower fan speed. !.
On the new app the best you are going to get, is select A/C Blowing in order to get some heat into the cabin !.

At least the previous App would heat the cabin space due to the higher default blower fan speed. !.
On the new app the best you are going to get, is select A/C Blowing in order to get some heat into the cabin !.
Having accepted the demist isn't going to work (for now?), tried the remote HVAC. Set app temp to "high" and 10 mins later, app said cabin temp had gone from 4 to 14 degC.
What was more interesting was, when I went and sat in the car and turned everything into the "run" position, fan was up on 7 (one short of the max 8), in "auto" mode, a/c on and 28 degC on the screen.
Remains to be seen how this "operation" deals with a frozen/frosted screen over the next few days.

It’s a shame the new app has stopped the front screen de- mist/de-frost from working. Why can’t they test these things before rolling out updates. What is the point of having it set to low? It’s never going to clear your screen. Now we have frost each morning and have to resort to the old fashioned way to defrost the car!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom