Replace rear lights with LED’s

I bought these but I'm not overly impressed to be honest, hid are a lot better though they will use more electric but cast a better light when it's pitch black

I bought these but I'm not overly impressed to be honest, hid are a lot better though they will use more electric but cast a better light when it's pitch black
Hey they are miles better that the standard factory ones and I’m really impressed with them for the money...
Anyone else fitted these; comments and thoughts??

Yeah I totally agree Mark, they are a thousand times better than the original bulbs but still don't seem to light up the road the same way as hid , I may do a test as I have a set of hid in the shed 😀

Thanks SCB,

Will have a look at the Twenty20 indicator led bulbs.

Other alternative would be to change the Flasher Unit for an electronic type unless it is one of those already??

I am still trying to locate it, it sounds like it is in the driver's door panel behind the speaker, unless that speaker is generating the clicking sound??

There is no mechanical sound coming from the passenger fuse unit or the engine compartment unit and I have searched online to try and find the actual Flasher Unit location but nothing found so far, except for the clicking from the drivers door panel.

Andy (Blackpool)

Hi Andy, that's the great thing about the Twenty20 bulbs; the resistor is built into the bulbs. They also have special thermal protection where they will dim the bulbs slightly if they get too hot to protect the bulbs and the wiring (which stops them failing prematurely - they're so confident in them you get a three year warranty!) They're the brightest on the market (1800 lumens each!)

Yeah I totally agree Mark, they are a thousand times better than the original bulbs but still don't seem to light up the road the same way as hid , I may do a test as I have a set of hid in the shed 😀
It might be they don't throw enough light out because the headlamp design is a single bulb with a shutter that blocks half the light off for dipped beam, rather than two separate reflectors with two bulbs. With two reflectors, with two 55W bulbs, you would be getting 110W per headlight of light on the road on full beam or 220W total, we're getting 60W per headlight, 120W total.

Last edited:
It might be they don't throw enough light out because the headlamp design is a single bulb with a shutter that blocks half the light off for dipped beam, rather than two separate reflectors with two bulbs. With two reflectors, with two 55W bulbs, you would be getting 110W per headlight of light on the road on full beam or 220W total, were getting 60W per headlight, 120W total.
Yep I see what you mean, I will try the hid and see if there is a difference

Nearside is always the Kerbside, Offside is "drivers" side here in the UK. The same "wording" applies in foreign countries who drive on the left obviously.

Good point about the bulb, I would say if its marked its looking at the way the bulb is facing but that would not work for the rear light bulbs but then they are not "handed"
I was being rather sarcastic, hence the duplication of post just changing the wording. Perhaps I should try port and starboard as well :) I am perfectly aware of near and off sides, however the terminology of left/right or nearside/offside is irrelevant to deciding which side is which depending on where you are viewing from.

FWIK you always view from the seat, so right is always right and left is always left. unless your ambidextrous and then your screwed :oops:

I've fitted a set of nighteyes today and very impressed and made a huge difference. My other route home is a 27 mile mixture of B & A twisty roads which was a great test. Certainly way more brighter, worked well with the auto high beam and more confidence driving with these. I suppose it depends what type of roads you drive to how much difference it will make and on very dark roads it certainly help. Well worth £18!!

Ordered. But not £18 though. More like £22.30 with vat but will post photo once received and installed.

Hi AbuG,
After removing the two bolts of the rear lens, you gently pull the unit towards you and the rear of the car keeping it pressed against the side of the vehicle.

There is a fork type slot in the housing that slides either side of a plastic button round clip with flanges on it, which is located on the side of the vehicle where the lens starts to go to a point.

DO NOT force the lens housing outwards or you will break the clip, it slides off the clip backwards towards the rear of the car.

Once free of the clip you can unplug the cable and its easy to replace the bulbs.

You mat need some slight leverage to start the movement but I did it simply by pulling towards me using one hand on the bolt brackets and the other placed on the side of the lens easing it backwards and towards me, it worked just fine.

Andy (Blackpool)

Last edited:
Hi AbuG,
After removing the two bolts if the rear lens, you gently pull the unit towards you directly towards the rear of the car.

There is a fork type slot in the housing that slides either side of a plastic round clip which is located on the side. DO NOT force the lens housing outwards or you will break the clip, it slides off the clip backwards. Once free of the clip you can unplug the cable and its easy to replace the bulbs.

Andy (Blackpool)
Yeah.. I figure it out eventually...hence deleted my post earlier. Took a picture of the clip, in case it helps someone else out.
IMG_20210206_171813.jpg

Great glad you got sorted.

I replaced my rear bulbs with the KATUR Stop/Tail and Side Light Bulbs from Amazon, I found them much brighter than the ones I originally bought from Classic Car LED's.

I have left the indicator flasher bulbs as they are for now as I experienced Hyper Flashing despite buying Cree Rear LED bulbs at £20.00 each, guaranteed not to hyper flash too but they did.

Andy (Blackpool)

Last edited:

I replaced my rear bulbs with the KATUR Stop/Tail and Side Light Bulbs from Amazon, I found them much brighter than the ones I originally bought from Classic Car LED's.

I have left the indicator flasher bulbs as they are for now as I experienced Hyper Flashing despite buying Cree Rear LED bulbs at £20.00 each, guaranteed not to hyper flash too but they did.

Andy (Blackpool)
Which brake light did you use?

Andy (Blackpool)
Yes, I've faced the same issue :(

Only the LED decoder for T10 is not the good one. We need the T20 one when you look to the shape... I think it is possible to use a T10 in a T20 socket since both are 9.0mm. Technically you can upgrade those lights then also isn't it.

I'm using these LED: US $3.94 28% OFF|2x T10 W5W Led Canbus Lamp Auto Klaring Parking Verlichting Voor Bmw E60 E90 E91 E92 E36 E30 E39 E46 x5 E53 E70 F10 F30 F20 E87 M3 M5|Signaal lamp| - AliExpress

I used the Twenty20 LED stop/tail bulbs from Autobulbsdirect - they're £22 for a pair and are superb. I already have a similar pair in my old ICE car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom