Running out of Electricity!

That’s why I used to like the old fuel gauges where it shows full or near full for 75% of range then plunges increasingly rapidly.
My brother use to have a Mk1 Triumph 2000 with a straight 6 engine. At 70mph you could visible see the fuel gauge going down. Made him drive a lot steadier 😁

My brother use to have a Mk1 Triumph 2000 with a straight 6 engine. At 70mph you could visible see the fuel gauge going down. Made him drive a lot steadier 😁
The Mk2 had a 2.5 PI variant - Now that could eat juice !.
And blow flames 🔥 out of the back of the exhaust when the Lucas fuel injection system was out of whack.
TR6 had the same set up.
Spent a few hours working on both of them back in the day !.

4 miles per % is 8 miles per kWh (on the SE SR), which would give a range of 400 miles! 😲
I was monitoring it every % for about 10% and it was consistently at that level. No wind, doing about 50 behind a lorry and it made the difference. What made it marginal was the slog up from J24 to J22 on the m1 when it was down at 2 mile per % no matter what I did.

On my way home this afternoon I stopped to charge at Rugby Moto services to charge for the final 150 miles home. When I returned to the car it was at 78% with a range of 148 miles so I unlocked the car and the charging stopped 😳. Rather than restart a charge thought I would do a final top up at another charger if needed.

Had the car on Eco and turned off the AC which improved the range to 4 miles more than the journey so decided to go for it...

Last 5 miles is uphill but the range said 7 so thought it would be okay. At 2 miles range and 1% battery the car reduced speed considerably to about 20mph. At 0 range and battery it told me to park the car safely, but fortunately I was on a short downhill stretch home so the regen kept it going.

Won't do that again and definitely squeaky bottom time but hopefully helps anyone that also pushes it...
Oof that's impressive brinkmanship 😂

I managed something similar in my Focus ST a few years ago. The engine sputtered and died 2 turns away from home, I managed to coast round turn 1, into turn 2, and then onto the driveway at about 2mph 😅

On my way home this afternoon I stopped to charge at Rugby Moto services to charge for the final 150 miles home. When I returned to the car it was at 78% with a range of 148 miles so I unlocked the car and the charging stopped 😳. Rather than restart a charge thought I would do a final top up at another charger if needed.

Had the car on Eco and turned off the AC which improved the range to 4 miles more than the journey so decided to go for it...

Last 5 miles is uphill but the range said 7 so thought it would be okay. At 2 miles range and 1% battery the car reduced speed considerably to about 20mph. At 0 range and battery it told me to park the car safely, but fortunately I was on a short downhill stretch home so the regen kept it going.

Won't do that again and definitely squeaky bottom time but hopefully helps anyone that also pushes it...
It is never a good idea to exhaust a battery completely, over compensate considerably as you never know about weather conditions that would require ventilation to prevent misting,repeat cycle charged to dead can damage the battery, be wise not stranded.

It is never a good idea to exhaust a battery completely, over compensate considerably as you never know about weather conditions that would require ventilation to prevent misting,repeat cycle charged to dead can damage the battery, be wise not stranded.
Ahh, but we need these brave souls, these 'zero heroes' to do the testing most of us are too scared to attempt. ;)

I have stopped commenting after getting sarcastic comments for a similar article. Tried deleting but we are stuck on this forum. Interesting reading comments on this topic…

Depleting your HV battery isn't possible!!
Mr MG along with his mates at Mr Tesla, Nissan, Renault and all EV manufacturers have made sure that 0% isn't 0% or a flat battery!
At 0% there is about 4% of capacity left, some allow for more some have less, in the battery.
It is the same a 100%, that is NOT 100% but about 95%.
LG and the other battery manufacturers are constantly making amendments to the 'seen' capacity to prolong battery life.
At the outset caution was the byword and 10% was left in a battery that showed 0%.

There are plenty of 300,000 mile Tesla Model S's around that have done this mileage, usually 2013 - 4 models, and their batteries have 85% capacity or more left in them.
You can be sure that some will have been driven to the 'no more miles' point on the battery!
So DON'T worry about knackering your battery if you constantly deplete it to 1 - 2 % if your nerves can take it! The battery certainly can!

The LFP battery in the SE SR is 51kWh but has 50.8kWh usable (allegedly) ... that's only 0.4% buffer. (3.6% for 61.7 vs 64kWh in the NMC battery in the SE LR / Trophy).

The LFP battery in the SE SR is 51kWh but has 50.8kWh usable (allegedly) ... that's only 0.4% buffer. (3.6% for 61.7 vs 64kWh in the NMC battery in the SE LR / Trophy).
LFP's will reputedly take a beating and bounce right back, we shall see but I think it's wise to be near a charger around the 10% mark regardless.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back