Schedule charging

renewablejerry

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Loving the MG4 apart from the so important schedule charging. Seems so simple to set 12.30 - 4.30 am which is my special cheap rate from Octopus energy BUT the bloody thing keeps reverting to pre set times and therefore charges outside my set times. Any ideas for a fix ? How are others getting around this very frustrating glitch and are MG aware and preparing a fix in some sort of update ? 🤞🤞

i don't use the onboard scheduling but the one that comes with the charger and it all works fine. what charger do you have and does it have scheduling on its app?

i don't use the onboard scheduling but the one that comes with the charger and it all works fine. what charger do you have and does it have scheduling on its app?
I have a Tesla charger as my other car is model3. It’s all done via the car. It’s a shame as the MG4 would be better as has both start and stop settings (if it worked) whereas M3 only has start time and you have to estimate finish time. ☹️☹️☹️

ive just done a quick 2 min trial with the MG schedule and my Hypervolt charger and it started on time and stopped on time .

switch on
set start
set end
save

ive just done a quick 2 min trial with the MG schedule and my Hypervolt charger and it started on time and stopped on time .

switch on
set start
set end
save
Thanks for your help in testing 😊 can I ask if you locked the car after setting ? This is when it defaults to factory setting times or if we look in App (which we won’t in future) it again resets car to the times that must I assume be factory set not what we set it to in the car or the App. Most frustrating. Appreciate your help in understanding it’s workings 🙏

See thread Scheduled Charge unscheduled? for fuller discussion of this.

In your case, where you can't use the charger to do the scheduling, the method adopted by PeteC is:
1. Set the schedule in the car.
2. Power off the charger at the mains.
3. Connect charger to car (and lock car).
4. Turn charger back on again at the mains as late as possible before going to bed.
5. Keep your fingers crossed.
The point is that this gives the car limited opportunity to start charging early.

I have tried a variation of this once, and it seemed to work. After that, Pod Point sorted the problem with their app, so now I can schedule using the charger, not the car
Good luck!

See thread Scheduled Charge unscheduled? for fuller discussion of this.

In your case, where you can't use the charger to do the scheduliung, the method adopted by PeteC is:
1. Set the schedule in the car.
2. Power off the charger at the mains.
3. Connect charger to car (and lock car).
4. Turn charger back on again at the mains as late as possible before going to bed.
5. Keep your fingers crossed.
The point is that this gives the car limited opportunity to start charging early.

I have tried a variation of this once, and it seemed to work. After that, Pod Point sorted the problem with their app, so now I can schedule using the charger, not the car
Good luck!
Thanks for the reply but this just confirms the car scheduling does not work as I’ve found out. Does anyone on this forum know if MG are aware or how we can get them to work on a fix ? All well and good crossing fingers but this is a pretty big flaw in and needs fixing. Thanks for confirming 😡😡😡 #MG ?

this is a pretty big flaw in and needs fixing.
Agreed! Does anyone know if there is an official channel where software flaws can be reported to SAIC, with some chance of getting a response?
My list would include:
1. Charge scheduling frequently starts early.
2. Turning on heating from app turns on headlights.
3. SR version should allow charge up to 80% etc.
4. I would like Lane Change Assist to give a bleep when I am about to change into the path of an oncoming vehile, rather than just flashing the light on the wing mirror.

Thanks for the reply but this just confirms the car scheduling does not work as I’ve found out. Does anyone on this forum know if MG are aware or how we can get them to work on a fix ? All well and good crossing fingers but this is a pretty big flaw in and needs fixing. Thanks for confirming 😡😡😡 #MG ?
Agreed. The bodge of turning off the power from the house is just while scheduled charging doesn't behave properly so that I can enjoy the evening without forever checking if the car has started charging. Scheduled charging works sometimes but not always when set either in the car on on the app. Recently it worked as expected 3 times on the trot and I was keeping fingers crossed. Inevitably, it started charging about 1 hour ahead of schedule the 4th time. It's a real pain. I've alerted my dealer to the problem.

Well , ive just tried to repeat the schedule charge test i did last night and hit the same snags as you guys. However i think its my charger that's creating the situation.

I have a Hypervolt charger and the app is pretty good for schedule charging just set the schedule , plug it in and its works every time.

However, it has two settings Scheduled and Plug n Charge. To get the MG schedule to work i set it to plug and charge then set and saved a test on the MG schedule and NOWT happened as the car was already charging from the moment i plugged it in!! No combination will allow the MG to have precedence over the Hypervolt! I think it may need a dumb charger.

I have an SE SR and struggled with scheduled charging on Octopus too - with the same cheap rate times as you. I have found that if I plug in the car while it is still running, then shut it down it seems to recognise the schedule. I have had varying luck with getting it to stop charging at 80% though! We also found if you go into the app while it is plugged in, it appears to loose the schedule and just start charging, or worse, wont charge at all.

Last edited:
I have it set already in the schedule and on the app. When I get home I put in park, get out, shut door, plug in then lock the door/shut down the car! Let me know if it works for you!!

As far as I knew, this was the only way to plug in?
If there’s another way, I don’t know it 😊
This works fine for me and my octopus schedule (2130 to 0130)
It was on the app (and mirrored in the car display without me inputting it there)
My charger is dumb, hasn’t been connected to the wifi for years.
I do, occasionally, notice the car starts charging as soon as I plug it in when I get home, but I just press ‘stop charging’ on the app and it reverts back to the schedule.
Tonight though, no problem.
Plugged in at 6pm, charge port went blue for a bit, then nothing, then green at 2130.

I too have an Octopus Go tariff, charge scheduling on my previous car (Leaf) was done in car, so I was a bit surprised that the first charge of my Trophy 4 had started early. I did wonder if it was because I'd set the charge level at 100% which wasn't actually achievable within the schedule so it had prioritised SOC over start time which was something that you could specify on the Leaf. I'll try the plug in/schedule/power off scenario next charge and see how it goes.

I don't know if this is relevant but I currently use an Ohme to charge my Leaf but may explain a charger behaviour.

The Ohme has a data connection and if Nissan's server is awake will identify the Leaf's SOC. I have a schedule which says don't charge if the rate is above the overnight one but charge to a percentage to meet the time I would be driving off. Sometimes it will say it cannot achieve that at the low rate and adjust the target. The part I don't understand exactly is that on plugging in the Leaf the evening before the Ohme does a short charge before then turning off until it reckons it can start during the cheap period.

Is this a normal check all chargers are doing or is it continuing to charge for others with their MG4s?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back