Schedule charging

Don’t use the in car scheduling, it’s unpredictable at best. Turn it off and use the scheduling in the Zappi - it has never failed me, not once.
The scheduled charging doesn't work on my Zappi either. I reported the fault to both MG and MyEnergi. MG booked my car in for a software update and it seems to be working as it should now. Haven't heard back from MyEnergi yet...

The scheduled charging doesn't work on my Zappi either. I reported the fault to both MG and MyEnergi. MG booked my car in for a software update and it seems to be working as it should now. Haven't heard back from MyEnergi yet...
I had a little go yesterday and I think I was having issues. I had the car plugged in on the Zappi on eco plus and someone on the my energi forum had suggested to maximise the use of the solar power for charging then the slider at the side of the leaf to slide it over to 1%. I set a schedule charge for later. I found the slider setting was fine initially as I was generating around 3.5kw but as the sun moved over the house to the opposite side to where the solar panels are that it got to a point that whilst I was charging with solar I was drawing some from the grid and I was charging at around 1.4kw.

I had set a scheduled charge for later at off peak rate on the Octopus Go times. So I was a bit puzzled as to what I was doing wrong. I was thinking that you needed to be generating more than 1.4kw and when trying to charge on solar you were charging the amount above 1.4kw and once the solar generation dropped below 1.4kw it would stop. The suggestion had been that if you put the slider to 1% then as long as you were generating you could use all the solar being generated no explanation was given that it would top up from the grid to make 1.4kw.

After a while I decided to cancel the original scheduled charge. I wondered if it was something to do with with where the slider was positioned.

I then set the charger on eco plus and moved the slider to 100%. I then went into the boost settings and set a scheduled charge to start at 18.15 for 30 minutes and the car whilst plugged in this time didn’t set off charging. When the time came for the scheduled charge after the delay to starting which you can adjust in the settings it then set off charging and the Zappi showed it was operating on the boost timer.

So I know I have been a bit long winded in my reply but there wasn’t any manual given to me at installation and only a quick demo given at the time by the installer and even though I have now sourced a manual it still doesn’t say that the slider position can effect a scheduled charging session and even what I have seen on YouTube they just say to set a scheduled charge you have to be on eco plus nothing mentioned about the slider position.

If you are sorted now that’s good news and hopefully now I am sorted too.

I will probably try a scheduled charge early hours Monday morning and I am hoping that it will work.🤞

The slider for the Zappi is for MGL (minimum green level). If you set it to 1%, then it’ll pull from the grid anything up to 1.37kw or thereabouts if there isn’t enough solar. I usually set that to about 80 or 90%, so that it only pulls a small amount from the grid, or stops when there isn’t enough excess.

At 1% it’ll almost always pull from the grid unless you have either zero excess solar, or 1.4kw or more.

If you want to run a scheduled charge and not have it charge from the grid outside of this then have the MGL at 100% or very close to it, so it will only charge when there is enough excess solar, or when the scheduled time arrives.

Edit just to say, using the above I have never had a failed scheduled charge with the Zappi.

The slider for the Zappi is for MGL (minimum green level). If you set it to 1%, then it’ll pull from the grid anything up to 1.37kw or thereabouts if there isn’t enough solar. I usually set that to about 80 or 90%, so that it only pulls a small amount from the grid, or stops when there isn’t enough excess.

At 1% it’ll almost always pull from the grid unless you have either zero excess solar, or 1.4kw or more.

If you want to run a scheduled charge and not have it charge from the grid outside of this then have the MGL at 100% or very close to it, so it will only charge when there is enough excess solar, or when the scheduled time arrives.

Edit just to say, using the above I have never had a failed scheduled charge with the Zappi.
Thanks for that as I said in my post the manual doesn’t explain about the slider but you have now confirmed what I had managed to figure out by default. So I think going forward I will leave the slider at 100% then as you say it will just charge from solar if there is enough outside of schedule charging.

I am intending to set a schedule charge for early hours of Monday morning. Although if I am back early enough tomorrow afternoon and still generating quite a bit then I might plug in then too.

Thanks for that as I said in my post the manual doesn’t explain about the slider but you have now confirmed what I had managed to figure out by default. So I think going forward I will leave the slider at 100% then as you say it will just charge from solar if there is enough outside of schedule charging.

I am intending to set a schedule charge for early hours of Monday morning. Although if I am back early enough tomorrow afternoon and still generating quite a bit then I might plug in then too.
That’s the way I would do it too - plug in on Eco+ with the schedule set for during the night. If there’s enough excess, it uses that to charge, then pauses when there is no excess (you can check on the MyEnergi app, it will say it has paused, or waiting for excess, I can’t recall exactly, but you’ll see the pause icon) and charges as per the set schedule without issue.

Just make sure when you set a schedule that you exit the app, then go back in and ensure it has saved it. Every now and then it doesn’t save the schedule the first time around.

That’s the way I would do it too - plug in on Eco+ with the schedule set for during the night. If there’s enough excess, it uses that to charge, then pauses when there is no excess (you can check on the MyEnergi app, it will say it has paused, or waiting for excess, I can’t recall exactly, but you’ll see the pause icon) and charges as per the set schedule without issue.

Just make sure when you set a schedule that you exit the app, then go back in and ensure it has saved it. Every now and then it doesn’t save the schedule the first time around.
Thank you for your advice once I get into it I suppose it will be second nature.

Thank you for your advice once I get into it I suppose it will be second nature.
Indeed it will. I read the manual and loads of bits online before getting mine, but in the end, some trial and error with the app was the easiest way to sort things. Just make sure to set whatever schedule you want before plugging in.

You can do things from the Zappi itself but I don’t find it quite so user friendly.

Indeed it will. I read the manual and loads of bits online before getting mine, but in the end, some trial and error with the app was the easiest way to sort things. Just make sure to set whatever schedule you want before plugging in.

You can do things from the Zappi itself but I don’t find it quite so user friendly.
No I think the app is much more user friendly. I have done the same as you regarding the manual and the likes of you tube but nothing much really was said about the slider at the side of the leaf. it was straight forward understanding how to set the charger regarding the various settings. Fast, eco and eco plus and I had picked up that to set a schedule charge that you needed the top showing eco plus but couldn’t see anything about the position of the slider. But you have put me right now. So once again thank you.

Well I had a go charging from solar yesterday afternoon and also set a schedule charge and everything seemed to work out fine.

I didn’t get too much out of the solar as it was 1pm when I plugged in after we had been down to Meadowhall and we were cooking lunch soon after we got home. I had the slider set at 100% but we still managed to get a couple of kilowatts before it stopped. I had set a scheduled charge for the off peak rate on the octopus go tariff. Happy to report that has operated okay putting in 28 kilowatts. So the battery is now sat at 80% which is where I set it in the car. So hopefully we have cracked it.

Once again thanks for your help and in my view this is what this forum should be all about. Helping and advising each other.

Well I had a go charging from solar yesterday afternoon and also set a schedule charge and everything seemed to work out fine.

I didn’t get too much out of the solar as it was 1pm when I plugged in after we had been down to Meadowhall and we were cooking lunch soon after we got home. I had the slider set at 100% but we still managed to get a couple of kilowatts before it stopped. I had set a scheduled charge for the off peak rate on the octopus go tariff. Happy to report that has operated okay putting in 28 kilowatts. So the battery is now sat at 80% which is where I set it in the car. So hopefully we have cracked it.

Once again thanks for your help and in my view this is what this forum should be all about. Helping and advising each other.
Glad to hear it all worked as planned

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 496 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel