SE Owners. Do You Believe That You Have Got The Version With The Best Value.

It probably is! My pre-order was for an SE LR as my head said it was better value than the Trophy. Then on the day of the test drive when we confirmed our order, both my wife and I basically said 'bu**er it' and went for the Trophy! We've never had a new car before (we're both in our 70s) so we thought we might as well go for it.
Similar thought process to me. The SE is better value for the money but as it was my first new car, having recently retired a couple of years early, I thought why not have all the toys so went for the Trophy.

You can get 23 plate ID3's with 15-20 miles on them, better range than the SR (265) same performance and better kit, heated seats etc for £4 more a month on PCP.
Both £5k deposit, 10000 miles and 48 months.

MG 4 SR £325

I'd 3 pro performance £329

Both rear motor rear wheel drive, so will handle similar.
Deals are out there
My thread was meant to be comparing the MG4 from new. I tested the VW ID3 and was not impressed with it at all. The next week I tested the MG4 and was highly impressed. And remember that the ID3 was about £8k+ so if the 2nd hand price is similar, the ID3 has nose dived in price. It is just not as good as the MG.

My thread was meant to be comparing the MG4 from new. I tested the VW ID3 and was not impressed with it at all. The next week I tested the MG4 and was highly impressed. And remember that the ID3 was about £8k+ so if the 2nd hand price is similar, the ID3 has nose dived in price. It is just not as good as the MG.
We didn't like the ID3 when we were shopping around. The Cupra Born was good but the MG4 won us over.

You asked bowfer what else was out there, so I rwplied and granted it probably is pre registered but I would hardly call a 23 plate car with 15 to 20 miles on the clock second hand

You asked bowfer what else was out there, so I rwplied and granted it probably is pre registered but I would hardly call a 23 plate car with 15 to 20 miles on the clock second hand
It should be compared to MG4s that are also preregistered with a handful of miles on them. They are out there (eg autotrader) and cheaper than unregistered ones.

It should be compared to MG4s that are also preregistered with a handful of miles on them. They are out there (eg autotrader) and cheaper than unregistered ones.
You are right and there are some deals out there although some are more expensive as the Apr is over 12%

You are right and there are some deals out there although some are more expensive as the Apr is over 12%
Yes, it seems that the PCP deals change all the time so people would be well advised to look around if they are not sure which car is best value and consider waiting if the car they want is not currently on a good deal.

Yes, it seems that the PCP deals change all the time so people would be well advised to look around if they are not sure which car is best value and consider waiting if the car they want is not currently on a good deal.
I got my MG4 Trophy on a PCP deal at 0% Apr the one that Miles mentioned on here. Granted I had to go to Burnley to get it but my local dealer their PCP deal was about 8%. The local dealer has had mixed reviews as well as compared with where I got the car from.

Only issue I have had was a Sat Nav freeze once but that could have been down to me trying to set that before I had got the car into the ready state before setting it. I do admit that I set the keep lane assist to alert only likewise with the Auto Emergency Brake. Otherwise I have had no issues and loving driving the car. I am one of many that now say I wouldn’t go back to a manual transmission car now that I have driven an automatic.

And as I replied to @tsedge yes he is correct but actually some of the pre reg mg4 deals are actually more expensive if you buy on finance, although the car is discounted the PCP rate is extortionate.
And again I wouldn't call a car with 15-20 miles on it second hand.

The point I was making and I'm sure originally @bowfer was making was if you shop around there are comparable deals out there.
The SE SR is a good deal but it's no longer out there on its own as the bargain it once appeared to be.
I do get that people can be a bit blinkered and discount everything else on the market because they bought a certain make and model of car but surely the fact that there are now so many options available on some pretty decent deals can only be a good thing for the uptake of EVs in general.

And as I replied to @tsedge yes he is correct but actually some of the pre reg mg4 deals are actually more expensive if you buy on finance, although the car is discounted the PCP rate is extortionate.
And again I wouldn't call a car with 15-20 miles on it second hand.

The point I was making and I'm sure originally @bowfer was making was if you shop around there are comparable deals out there.
The SE SR is a good deal but it's no longer out there on its own as the bargain it once appeared to be.
I do get that people can be a bit blinkered and discount everything else on the market because they bought a certain make and model of car but surely the fact that there are now so many options available on some pretty decent deals can only be a good thing for the uptake of EVs in general.
If you are referring to me as being blinkered, then I would not agree or accept that.
If I was blinkered then I would not have bought an EV in the first place and stayed with what I was most used to. Another petrol Ford.
The main competitors to the MG4 were the VW ID3 and Cupra Born. Both of which I drove before the MG4 but didn't like either as much. Especially with the very significant cost delta.
I wasn't thinking about the various PCP or used deals. Just the car on its own merits. Anyway, that was my thinking.

I didn't drive any of the competitors - in fact apart from the Trophy I had the test drive in, my own car is the only EV I've even been in. I decided that I needed a new car, obviously, that this was the time to go EV, and that the MG4 was the stand-out best deal of the lot. I decided that if it really drove as well as the reviews said, I would have one, and not waste time second-guessing whether I could have found a better deal if I'd hung on to the written-off Golf closer to the time when its MOT expired.

Don't regret a thing. For everything there is a season. A time to buy a new car, and for me that was April 2023.

I don't think it was directed at any one person, more a general comment that us owners will inevitably think better of the MG4 than competitors, which is probably true.
It wasn't and wasn't directed at MG4 owners in particular either, more a general comment that people feel obliged to try and defend the decision they have made in terms of their purchases

Competitor's and choices have been debated to death in here and it's pointless to discuss again.

Suffice to say there are now various deals available that have provided various other options, in close price proximity, that weren't available 6 months to a year ago

Last edited:
I think the SE just won this discussion hands down.

I think Rolfe has just proved your theory. 😁
All other Trophy owners must be counting down the days till their crappy vinyl seats fall apart, as far as I'm aware no one else has had that issue yet.

Obviously I'm happy to be corrected, until there are more similar reports then I think we can hold of in condemning every trophy seat.

That's like saying every SE seat was crap because there were a few with lumping springs and poor stitching that made all the material pinched and quite cheap and nasty to look at

All other Trophy owners must be counting down the days till their crappy vinyl seats fall apart, as far as I'm aware no one else has had that issue yet.

Obviously I'm happy to be corrected, until there are more similar reports then I think we can hold of in condemning every trophy seat.

That's like saying every SE seat was crap because there were a few with lumping springs and poor stitching that made all the material pinched and quite cheap and nasty to look at
Agreed. One set of faulty seats does not a crisis make.

There can be a tendency for overreaction when someone discovers a new problem. It pays to wait and see how prevalent it is before jumping to conclusions.

The member with the problem seat said that he makes multiple short journeys every day, and I'm certain it's the number of times you get in and out of the car that causes that wear, not the mileage as such. So it could be an early warning. I was quite shocked by the photo. If my Aliexpress seat covers wear as fast as that I'll be quite disappointed.

Wait and see, but the one-year warranty on the seats may be a bit of a red flag.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back