Slow charging on fast charger

Nielslein

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I noticed with my MG4 Long Range that when charging at a fast charger, the speed is not exceeding some 62 kW and that not even continuously. Outside temperature was some 2 C and the initial charge of the battery was 17 %.
Can anybody tell me if this disappointing speed is normal with an MG4?
Is there any factor that helps charging to be faster? Put battery heating on?
Could the dealer help out? As this speed is way below specs?

For the LR battery, others are reporting up to 145 Kw, and indeed occasionally marginally above that. I don't know how much temperature affects this, but surely not that much. Has this happened on a number of different chargers, or could it have been a fault with the charger?

Probably the temperature I'd have thought, battery heating is probably the first thing to try. I don't use DC chargers often, but had 120 or 130 the last time a few months ago (battery heating off, but warmer). Sometimes particular locations can be slow though, not sure how widespread that is.

The speed may also depend on other chargers in use, since the total kW available to the charging site may be less than the sum total of the maximum the chargers could provide. Thus chargers will deliver a lower charge to even out the available supply.

Temperature below 10C is a crucial factor and one of the reasons I keep the intelligent battery heating option enabled at all times these days.

2C is cold, battery temp wouldn't have been much above this at all.

So BMS will have restricted current flow to prevent damage.

Here's mine pulling 139kW on a Tesla charger at 3C last winter. I'd been driving for a while at around 70mph so I guess the battery wasn't stone cold. No battery heating used. I just pulled up and plugged in.

Attachments

• Tesla Newport.jpg
    Tesla Newport.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 73
Here's mine pulling 139kW on a Tesla charger at 3C last winter. I'd been driving for a while at around 70mph so I guess the battery wasn't stone cold. No battery heating used. I just pulled up and plugged in.
You’d be surprised to know that the battery heating will kick in automatically while charging if the BMS thinks it’s required anyway: it will do so to protect the battery. It’s likely your battery was at a reasonable temperature to start with and it warmed up anyway because of the charging speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’d be surprised to know that the battery heating will kick in automatically while charging if the BMS thinks it’s required anyway: it will do so to protect the battery. It’s likely your battery was at a reasonable temperature to start with and it warmed up anyway because if the charging speed
Well I didn't know that happened, but I'm not surprised to hear it as it sounds sensible!

I noticed with my MG4 Long Range that when charging at a fast charger, the speed is not exceeding some 62 kW and that not even continuously. Outside temperature was some 2 C and the initial charge of the battery was 17 %.
Can anybody tell me if this disappointing speed is normal with an MG4?
Is there any factor that helps charging to be faster? Put battery heating on?
Could the dealer help out? As this speed is way below specs?
Possibly the charger output was the limiting factor, not all units will deliver 100+KW especially if supplying to other vehicles at the same time.

As was asked by jpk above, what was the state of charge of your battery when you started charging?
The car will slow the charging as it tops up. So if the battery was closer to empty when you started the faster the charge And vice versa.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back