So dangerous gearbox gap in acceleration.

ColinB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
My HS PHEV Exclusive bought new two years ago has now had its second year service and any recalls dealt with.
I don’t understand is how they are still selling this car, or allowing it back on the road after a service with the really very dangerous lag in the gearbox at around 50mph. This was raised by me on the forum shortly after I bought my car and other members confirmed they had the same experiences and concerns. I‘m retired and as such am very rarely in any hurry to go anywhere. Today when I joined the M20 from a slip road I accelerated to join the traffic in the inside lane when the gearbox lagged and the traffic came up behind me. Fortunately the power cut in again but it’s dangerous, and at a critical speed of c50mph which I would suggest is about the speed many overtake moves are happening. Are new models still having this issue please?

Yes Colin B, same issue, in EV mode only. I agree it's potentially dangerous and deserves to be fixed as a recall. BTW, what recall issues were attended to in your service?

Yes Colin B, same issue, in EV mode only. I agree it's potentially dangerous and deserves to be fixed as a recall. BTW, what recall issues were attended to in your service?
Something to do with checking the earth strap I believe and nothing found that needed attention in my case.

I have noticed when you keep your feet on the gas the lag takes longer. when you release the gas for just a moment and then gas again it goes faster...anyone else agrees?

Hi there again, I used to join these kind of topics until about a year ago when I concluded that nothing changes and learned to live with it…..
Many posts have been written about this big and dangerous flaw, and nothing has and will be done about it!
To stay safe when preparing to overtake with opposite traffic on a single road in EV mode below 50 mph or 80kph:
deselect EV!
Safe trips to you all!

Last edited:
Never had a problem with the lag when overtake, if a truck can overtake with 1km more per hour then it is no problem the lag for a second

Just for clarity, are you referring to what appears to be a momentary shut down of power during acceleration which I get from time to time. Normally lasts about 1-2 seconds then power returns as if nothing has happened. I believe it happens more in full auto mode although not sure. It feels like you are braking just momentarily.

Just for clarity, are you referring to what appears to be a momentary shut down of power during acceleration which I get from time to time. Normally lasts about 1-2 seconds then power returns as if nothing has happened. I believe it happens more in full auto mode although not sure. It feels like you are braking just momentarily.
That is correct, from second to third gear of the E Motor the lag can be (to) long.

I’ve stated before that I find the lag in the gearbox at the critical speed of circa 50 mph really dangerous.
Because I’ve got used to living with it doesn’t alter the fact that I think it’s really dangerous and I’m surprised that the car was put on the market with the issue in the first place, and hasn’t been recalled for a fix.
Because of it I hesitate before overtaking but when entering motorways as I do often on the M20 from a slip road, I am very concerned about being hit in the rear by one of the hundreds of mainly foreign lorries on the inside lane.
I’m surprised that this isn’t a big issue on our forum where members seem more concerned about their lack of DAB radio.
I’ve had my car 2 years and 16k miles now and perhaps I’ve been lucky that everything else has been pretty faultless.

i dont have any problems with the lag not on the high way also, there are much slower cars then mine and if i want to overtake on a road with cars coming on the other side i use the switch and go too hybrid mode...but i dont overtake much on these roads...and on the highway when entering the motorway, when you know it will take place in electric mode then switch a moment to hybrid mode and switch it back when you are on the motorway....not a big deal i think...i had slower cars before.

I think the lag is a mechanical issue its the electric motors gearbox changing from low to high. I am not sure this could be dialed out with a software tweak. It is quite profound though and in my eyes a bit dangerous. Its only really an issue when you are in a hurry, ironically.

Same exact thing. I think the car should turn on the petrol motor to cover the lag just for the few seconds it needs to transition the gear change.

The first time this happened to me I thought the car was faulty.

Just to confirm that in the 2024 facelifted model , the lag is still there. It is very annoying and dangerous. In my opinion it also affects the hybrid mode when you really accelerate a lot. The lack of "EV" power has an effect on the hybrid acceleration..

Last edited by a moderator:
Annoying ? Yes ! Dangerous - well I’m not so sure. Once you get used to it , you can anticipate it . Early DSG gearbox drivers had the similar lag issues , but they got over it .

I’ve stated before that I find the lag in the gearbox at the critical speed of circa 50 mph really dangerous.
Because I’ve got used to living with it doesn’t alter the fact that I think it’s really dangerous and I’m surprised that the car was put on the market with the issue in the first place, and hasn’t been recalled for a fix.
Because of it I hesitate before overtaking but when entering motorways as I do often on the M20 from a slip road, I am very concerned about being hit in the rear by one of the hundreds of mainly foreign lorries on the inside lane.
I’m surprised that this isn’t a big issue on our forum where members seem more concerned about their lack of DAB radio.
I’ve had my car 2 years and 16k miles now and perhaps I’ve been lucky that everything else has been pretty faultless.
I have a 4 month old PHEV trophy facelift model, still the same problem ! I've found out that if you have the cheek to contact head office in the UK to ask a technical question they refer you to a technical help line where you have to pay from £27 a day to £3000 a year to get technical help for their cars!! Typical Chinese rip off trying to make more money out of its customers on a vehicle that is supposed to have a 7 year guarantee ? Just what is the guarantee covering when even their main dealers are not capable of fixing faults and head office want to charge you to help!
Wish I had never invested my money in this car.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom