Steering gone on my 2021 ZS EV

Hi will attach photos. RAC just been bearing sheared from knuckle joint
Not a good situation
I recall (no pun) issues with the steering shaft on these cars when new. Some were - I think -replaced. It was at the time a roughness and knocking when turning I think, so I believe it has some history. There might be some posts on here - somewhere.
I don’t remember any catastrophic failures like yours though. Very lucky it happened when it did and not in a more dangerous situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my lower column replaced ages back, didn't get rid of the clicking (gen1 ZS). Upper column required, ordered, due to be fitted in the coming weeks. Like others, I've had to wait months for this and whilst not a critical part for me, parts availability will certainly be in my mind when changing to another EV.

Having seen some pics of destroyed U/J's from the ZS, I would not be driving a ZS EV with clicking noises from the steering, the possible results are too horrible to imagine. (However, I do accept that I have another car I can use).

I have a face-lift model 22 plate and I've noticed a grinding noise and feel it in the steering recently. May have to call dealer as only has 700 on the clock so far. This is a little concerning reading this thread.

I have a face-lift model 22 plate and I've noticed a grinding noise and feel it in the steering recently. May have to call dealer as only has 700 on the clock so far. This is a little concerning reading this thread.
Of course, get it checked by the dealer !.
But I would be surprised extremely surprised if it’s the lower steering column UJ at such a low mileage covered TBH.

Finally got my new steering column fitted yesterday.

The problem started from new in July 2020 after about 400 miles and got progressively worse. During the pandemic the repair was on the back burner and I never really chased it. It went in to the dealer twice, MG refused to replace any parts. The first time they tightened up some bolts I'm not sure which ones. This made a difference for about 200 miles. I then waited until my next service and reported it again by this point it was clicking and clunking all the time. Again MG refused to replace anything and got the dealer to remove and refit the steering column. This worked for about 5 miles and the symptoms started again. MG then finally agreed and the dealer was able to order a replacement steering column under warranty that was on the 12th of September 2022 and was on back order until it arrived a couple of weeks ago.

They have replaced the entire column upper and lower parts. I personally think that the issue was with the upper half as I could release the steering wheel hight adjustment lock move the steering column and lock it again and it would be a bit better for a couple of miles. It's amazing how smooth the drive is, how quite it is and how much play on the steering column I had gotten used to. I'm not going to say it's fixed until I have done a few more miles but the car is a joy to drive again.

Will post again when I've done at least another 500 miles or so or if it comes back 😬

update:

I have my UJ issue sorted. Had to get done in 2 jobs as the first attempt (lower section?) didn't fix the noise as the garage failed to take the car for a test run, the garage also said that without MG authorisation they could not replace both in one go. (but they still didnt test the car after the first half was completed)

Mine has been sorted too (gen. 1). Same as you, lower section replacement didn't fix the issue, upper replacement seems to have although this has taken a very long time to get to. Mine was road tested for both replacements.

Update. After about 500 miles since the steering column was replaced I started to notice a small vibration in the steering wheel when going over speed bumps and rough road surfaces. At first I thought it was me being paranoid but I've left it a month and it's getting worse. It's not making nearly as much noise as before but I can feel something is wrong. I've booked it in to the dealer again for next week hopefully it's bad enough that they can feel it when they take a look at it.

There are two bolts at the top of the steering column - these may be loose. It needs checking obviously. If you grab the wheel and try to move it back and forward you’ll see if it moves.

Update. After about 500 miles since the steering column was replaced I started to notice a small vibration in the steering wheel when going over speed bumps and rough road surfaces. At first I thought it was me being paranoid but I've left it a month and it's getting worse. It's not making nearly as much noise as before but I can feel something is wrong. I've booked it in to the dealer again for next week hopefully it's bad enough that they can feel it when they take a look at it.
We have the exact same, trust me it will get worse - MG are now refusing to even answer our emails or return our calls about it !!

Maybe the threat of a report to VoSA would focus their attention? This is a safety issue.
I doubt MG in France or their dealer network will care much about what VOSA says or thinks ;) What annoys me the most is that it's now 10x worse than before they 'fixed' it with a new column.

My MK1 went back in today after the column was changed less than 500 miles in. I was worried that the dealer wouldn't experience the rattle. They felt it too and found that some of the bolts had worked there way loose so they have tightened them up.

Feels much better now just like after the column was replaced. I'm not holding my breath as I think it's going to keep happening and I suspect I'll be back at the dealership in another few hundred miles. I can't fault the dealership they always seem to do the best they can I think they are just let down by MG and the build quality.

There are plenty of solutions to bolts that loosen up, so that is no excuse. (Locknuts, nylocks, loctite etc).
Ask them which they used!

My MK1 went back in today after the column was changed less than 500 miles in. I was worried that the dealer wouldn't experience the rattle. They felt it too and found that some of the bolts had worked there way loose so they have tightened them up.

Feels much better now just like after the column was replaced. I'm not holding my breath as I think it's going to keep happening and I suspect I'll be back at the dealership in another few hundred miles. I can't fault the dealership they always seem to do the best they can I think they are just let down by MG and the build quality.
If I remember correctly, there are three bolts that attach the steering column to the body shell / structure of the car.
Two pass through brackets welded to either side of the outer steering column and a third bolt that is accessed from under the wiper scuttle panel on the outside, this secures the outer column to the bulkhead of the car.
These bolts are very likely to have a flat washer and a spring type washer to prevent them working loose.
They may even have some type of hi-lock solution applied on the threads as a safety feature.
With these precautions, it is extremely unlikely that these fasteners will just work loose in this short time frame, if they where torque to the correct factory spec's ?.
Of course the steering column is adjustable in a "up / down" fashion by the driver(s).
To achieve this they need to have a clamping mechanism that can be released by the driver when the clamp is opened, this is achieved via the handle placed to the left side of the steering wheel.
When the handle is dropped, it allows the column to raise and fall.
Lifting up on the handle traps the holding clamp to the outside of the steering column upper top bracket.
It has been noted, that sometimes when the handle is lifted, it does not apply enough clamping force and a rattle can be evident.
I know that @Kithmo had discovered this to be the problem on his ZS EV Gen 1 a long time ago.
Can you verify and expand on how this fix has worked ( or not ) on your car please ?.
I may suggest that the rework on your car @Uevinysses was cured in a similar fashion maybe.
After 500 miles of settling down, the upper clamp may have required an extra retighten.
This maybe what the dealer is alluding too ?.

Bolts in a safety-critical application should not be able to "work loose"! At the extreme end there are castle-nuts and split pins, but they should use whatever is necessary to prevent it happening.
There is also the issue I mentioned before, that longitudinal pressure on the u/j's caused by incorrect location of the brackets when tightened could well cause premature failure of the U/j's.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom