Steering gone on my 2021 ZS EV

My theory is that its an installation issue, which might explain why it seems absolutely fine in most cars but catastrophic failure in others. If the column is under compression (or equally under tension), it could well lead to such failure.
If it was a design flaw, eg working angles not within spec, I would have expected more failures.
Of course, it could be that there are more failures than we realise!
It could well be an installation issue of course, but exerting enough force on that UJ joint in the production proceed, that could have accelerated the failure rate, should be a very easy spot on the assembly line.
We can speculate until the cow’s come home here to be honest !.
It has been an issue since the Gen1 was released in 2019 on SOME cars.
So if they intended to do anything radical about it, they would have done it by now.
Instead of treating it on a “customer by customer”complaint basis.
Manufactures very rarely have a single point of supply for components, they have at least two many be three different suppliers for the same component.
This maybe where the answer lies.
Supplier “A” has an issue with either the quality of the materials used to assemble this UJ.
Or the standard of the tooling / training of the labour assembling it.
Supplier “B” however, gets a better quality UJ’s joint from a different supplier, or the labour is better trained at installing the UJ’s into the steering coupling etc.
Lucky owners gets a lower steering coupling on his car from supplier B.
While unlucky owner, gets the inferior coupling from supplier “A” fitted to his/her car.

IF, and I mean IF, they have been lucky and no-one has been hurt yet, they may be trying to keep it quiet. If so, they are foolish because no-one, and I mean no-one, will buy a car with possible steering failure.

The rack end is a fixed position, but the steering wheel end is dependent on where the user has set the steering wheel. Therefore there could be a position that puts the UJ's out of spec. Obviously this would be poor design. As a thought, I have not moved the position of the steering wheel on my car -could that be significant?

The rack end is a fixed position, but the steering wheel end is dependent on where the user has set the steering wheel. Therefore there could be a position that puts the UJ's out of spec. Obviously this would be poor design. As a thought, I have not moved the position of the steering wheel on my car -could that be significant?
To be honest thats their problem and if they dont listen to us on our contacts with them I thing we should make our voice to be heard by exposing that on their google reviews page. At least everyone will have access to that information and maybe they are forced to do something.

That's my nightmare of a MK1 ZS EV with 25k on the clock going into have a cracking sound investigated on the steering - makes a crack when you go past 45deg and back again from central. (worse uphill)

Adding this to the list of things that have been replaced on my car since new :

1. 2 new CV joints.
2. new gearbox.
3. 2 new axles (were destined for the demonstrator but were fitted to mine first)
4. new motor.
5. de-laminated gear selector.
6. possible issue with steering column/rack.

I've never owed such a lemon in all my years as a driver. (and I've driven some pretty shite cars)

I only included the link, because it has some interesting comments / photos etc of the UJ set up and failure point examples in this thread.
I do appreciate it, sorry for coming over grumpy! (blame the car) - i'll keep the info in my back pocket.

Update: New column and top bracket on order from China - eta is apparently 3 weeks. (was anyone wanting to know what model my kit was that failed? - for stats etc.)

The replacement steering column on my ZS EV MK1 was ordered on the 13th of September and I'm still waiting. At the time there were no parts available anywhere in the world apparently due to semi conductor shortages/Ukraine war. I personally don't believe that and it's probably down to the fact that lots of the cars have this issue and all the spares stock has been exhausted.

Have a MK2 on order and I'm worried I'll get the same issue from reading this thread and others. It's all very well having a 7 year warranty but what happens if you have an MOT fail and no parts!

The replacement steering column on my ZS EV MK1 was ordered on the 13th of September and I'm still waiting. At the time there were no parts available anywhere in the world apparently due to semi conductor shortages/Ukraine war. I personally don't believe that and it's probably down to the fact that lots of the cars have this issue and all the spares stock has been exhausted.

Have a MK2 on order and I'm worried I'll get the same issue from reading this thread and others. It's all very well having a 7 year warranty but what happens if you have an MOT fail and no parts!
It a strange one alright ?.
Some owners are waiting months, while others are only waiting a couple of weeks for a replacement steering column assembly to arrive ?.
The replacements must be shipped in from China and each steering column taken from the baulk build stock, which effectively means another ZS EV is not getting built !.
I do fail to understand why the semi conductor shortage issue ( which is a real thing OBTW ) should impact on supplying a replacement steering column though ??????.
There is no chips in the inner and outer steering column, that I am aware of.
We had the ZS EV Gen 1 for two years and 20,000 mile, before updating to the ZS EV Gen 2 in mid March of 2022.
Our Gen 1 had the steering column click / knock / rattle from about the first 1,000 miles covered.
It started off with a very light clicking, while going from lock to lock, with the steering wheel.
As time moved on, it became louder and the column would rattle if you crossed over a broken section of a tarmac road.
I am not 100% sure here, but I am willing to place a safe bet that the steering column assemblies on BOTH models are indeed the very same part numbers.
Why - because the Gen 2 is only a "facelifted" version of the original Gen 1 model.
Both versions therefore have a lot in common in sharing the same generic parts and I believe that is why this issue has migrated across now.
Same column, same problem !.
If they DID intend to investigate and solve the quality problems 100% on the Gen 1 model, that had been reported by some owners, then just maybe it would NOT of been an issue now on the newer Gen 2 models ?.
Instead, what we have is a "one by one" fix being carried out on customer cars who take the time to complain to their dealers.
MG have likely not reached the tipping point of just how many steering columns they are willing to replace under warranty, before they decide to carry out a full and extensive investigation, into WHY these UJ joints are clearly failing prematurely.
It's a "crap shoot" really, you present your car with the issue, the dealer has the car for a day, checks the UJ joint ( 10 minutes ) and then reports their findings back to MG for a course of action.
They authorise the dealer to place an order for a complete steering column assembly.
You then sit back and wait for an undisclosed time scale, until the replacement part arrives.
At this point, you cross your fingers very tightly that you have a column that does not have the same fault as the first one !.
The dealer books in the car again for a second time and replaces the column.
A warranty claims for the labour costs are submitted under the terms of warranty agreement.
Chances of a 100% fix long term ( IMO ) is about 50/50 in really.
Because the origin of the fault in the steering column, has never been discovered / rectified.

I was thinking of this today I wounder if its got anything to do with fighting Lane assist? Luckily I don't have any problems yet but I do use the vibrate function

Last edited:
I was thinking of this today I wounder if its got anything to do with fighting Lane assist? Luckily I don't have any problems yet but I do you the vibrate function
Theory worth some thought 🤔............ although I never used "MG Pilot or Lane Assist" on my previous Gen 1 ZS EV and the steering column still developed a click / knock / rattle within the first 1,000 miles and steadily got worse as time moved on.

I was thinking of this today I wounder if its got anything to do with fighting Lane assist? Luckily I don't have any problems yet but I do use the vibrate function
I wouldn't think so, I reckon you're just "fighting" against the EPS motor rather than the rack.

What I meant was, the thing you're fighting against is before the UJ so not loading the joint up.
Yeah - I see where @N2STY is coming from.
When the Lane keeping assist, is trying to drag you in the wrong direction, you are then fighting against the system sits in that wants you to go in opposite direction, to save crossing the white line or maybe hitting the kerb.
The extra stain could stress the UJ ?.
But as I posted above, I never used either MG Pilot or Lane Assist and my steering column started clicking / rattling from about 1,000 miles onward.
It gradually got worse as the time passed by.
The steering wheel reach adjustment never got moved either, in the same place for two years.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom