Sudden acceleration

Could be fun. Brakes have a front bias which means the front wheels do more of the braking than the rear so in theory when cornering you can brake the front wheels with your left foot and spin up the rears with your right.🍩 🍩

Could be fun. Brakes have a front bias which means the front wheels do more of the braking than the rear so in theory when cornering you can brake the front wheels with your left foot and spin up the rears with your right.🍩 🍩

Go try that in the MG
See what myriad of warning lights are triggered and what breaks. 😉

Last edited:
Has anyone experienced the car accelerating fast without warning?
I’ve just tried to park, took my foot off the accelerator and the car shot forward. Just checked and it has hit the parking bollard, denting the front bumper a little.
Did the ACC kick in?
Felt it did this earlier too.
Another scary experience. I’m shaking.
Could this be anything to do with the automatic/hill braking system as this was low speed/car parking situations? Moving from my ZS to the new MG4 it isnt as obvious when the auto brake is engaged. It does begin to move forward sometimes when taking my foot of the brake. In the ZS you could turn the system on and off with a button and could see when it was on (or off). Cant see the same on the MG4

Could this be anything to do with the automatic/hill braking system as this was low speed/car parking situations? Moving from my ZS to the new MG4 it isnt as obvious when the auto brake is engaged. It does begin to move forward sometimes when taking my foot of the brake. In the ZS you could turn the system on and off with a button and could see when it was on (or off). Cant see the same on the MG4
The auto hold symbol somewhere near where READY appears goes green when it is active.
From the manual:

autohold.png

There is a video posted in one of the emergency braking threads of various cars having their AEBs tested under various scenarios, adult dummies, kids size, on bikes etc coming out in front of all the cars under different scenarios.
Pretty much every car Mercs, VW's MG4, etc, apart from the Tesla, hit them at varying speeds all of which would have caused injury or worse.

Took a bit of finding, was in the emergency braking on a level crossing thread

Thanks, I must have missed it there. That's pretty unimpressive. I didn't get the impression there was even any significant mitigation of the force of the collision. So one can hardly blame the drivers by claiming that if they hadn't switched the AEB off, it wouldn't have happened.

If Elon Musk was as publicspirited as he sometimes makes out, he'd make that system available to other car manufacturers at cost.

To be fair it took a fair amount of issues for Tesla to get their system to that level, I think the term phantom braking was coined because of their issues.
Nobody else covered themselves in any kind of glory during that testing some did manage to take some speed off bit quite a few just ploughed right through

I think I did read, to add some context quite a few of the systems struggle/don't work above 25 mph which seems a strange figure to me

I seem to remember a few years ago a Tesla did a phantom emergency stop in the middle of the Queen Elizabeth Crossing when it was quite new, and the CCTV footage was all over the internet.

Seems a shame though that other manufacturers literally have to re-invent the wheel one at a time for something so safety-critical.

Thanks, I must have missed it there. That's pretty unimpressive. I didn't get the impression there was even any significant mitigation of the force of the collision. So one can hardly blame the drivers by claiming that if they hadn't switched the AEB off, it wouldn't have happened.

If Elon Musk was as publicspirited as he sometimes makes out, he'd make that system available to other car manufacturers at cost.
Tesla is the first electric vehicle company to open its patents. On June 12, 2014, the Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced that all patents owned by Tesla would be opened. As of 2019, Tesla has completed open-sourcing all of its patents at this stage.

Last edited:
In that case, why is everybody else's AEB such a pile of dreck? That demo in the video has huge safety implications. Imagine if every car on the road could do what the Tesla did? Or at least every new car.

And yet, it was a Tesla involved in that major wild ride discussed earlier in the thread, and it still crashed itself into scrap metal.

The auto hold symbol somewhere near where READY appears goes green when it is active.
From the manual:

View attachment 18835
Thanks - I can see that now you point it out - very helpful. Still, very small compared to ZS and I wonder if the failure of the brake to engage is the issue. My wife has got close to a runaway car a couple of times

Has anyone experienced the car accelerating fast without warning?
I’ve just tried to park, took my foot off the accelerator and the car shot forward. Just checked and it has hit the parking bollard, denting the front bumper a little.
Did the ACC kick in?
Felt it did this earlier too.
Another scary experience. I’m shaking.
Yesterday, 14:00 27/02/2024, car suddenly unexpectedly accelerated, at speed when parking in back garden. Accelerator not used as sufficient to just select drive when having reversed.

Damage to front bonnet, charging flap cover, black front spoiler and probably underneath car as at speed went into plastic green house, garden table, over a concrete bird bath and pots of flowers.

We have security camera footage. I am confident that car misbehaved.

Not sure that car is drivable.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqpqKL8UifDnpO8zRUVGy57bi9FUSg?e=xaPC8U

Yesterday, 14:00 27/02/2024, car suddenly unexpectedly accelerated, at speed when parking in back garden. Accelerator not used as sufficient to just select drive when having reversed.

Damage to front bonnet, charging flap cover, black front spoiler and probably underneath car as at speed went into plastic green house, garden table, over a concrete bird bath and pots of flowers.

We have security camera footage. I am confident that car misbehaved.

Not sure that car is drivable.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqpqKL8UifDnpO8zRUVGy57bi9FUSg?e=xaPC8U
That could have ended in a fatality, contact the DVSA and also MG.
Even if the car is drivable I for one would never drive it again.

The only problem with situations like this is you cannot prove that the accelerator wasn't being pressed instead of the brake pedal. There have been many cases where this has happened, please note I'm not saying that this happened here but you will have a job to prove the car alone caused it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back